Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,740227739 (4.14)1 / 118
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

Recently added bygpittfield, aleviola, Mrs.Sears, private library, erinshoemaker, ljreiland, RSMC, MPElem, StonehavenMS

This book was highly emotional and, by the end, tears were streaming down my face. I loved the complexity of Salamanca. Anyone that has dealt with grief could empathizer with Sal and Pheobe's reluctance to accept their respective situations, and I think this is a powerful topic that could be addressed with students. This book is jammed packed with important lessons. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jul 12, 2016 |
A bit melodramatic, but wise and sensitive. Enough leavening of humor to make it palatable. Still, I wish the Newbery committee would stop this absent mother business. Lately it seems that most children in these award-winning titles are orphans or nearly so.

Btw, Absolutely Normal Chaos is actually not a sequel - it's just set in the same created world. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I've run into this book a bunch of times over the years, and it's been recommended to me by friends. So I finally gave it a read. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but it was a great read anyway.

It's the story of a young girl named Sal who's recently moved away from home to a new town after her mother left the family suddenly. Her grandparents are driving her across the country to where her mother is and, along the way, Sal tells her grandparents the story of Phoebe Winterbottom, a girl in her new neighborhood. The story is full of mystery and interesting characters, observations about human nature, and even a possible love interest for Sal. Phoebe's mother leaves home and it was pretty obvious to me why. But it was still interesting to see how everyone reacts and interacts in the crisis. Sal is a great storyteller. Her grandparents frustrated me a number of times, however, because they kept stopping along the way; they could have made the drive a lot faster.

The twists at the end were heartbreaking. I'd guessed one of them, but had hoped I'd been wrong. The reveal was devastating regardless, and I definitely shed a few tears. And it was beautiful for Sal to realize that the point of the trip wasn't the destination at all... at which point I felt even worse for wanting her grandparents to drive more quickly. Oops.

My biggest problem with this book is that the Winterbottom girls are named Prudence and Phoebe. As a fan of the television show, Charmed, I kept expecting Piper to show up. And the book I read just before this one... had Piper as the main character. Very strange juxtaposition!

The title of the book refers to the old saying about not judging people until you've walked in their shoes. And this is an excellent book to do that with. You really feel like you get a good sense of a lot of the lives of people in this book, from the school teacher to the blind neighbor to Gram & Gramps to Phoebe to Sal's mother, and many others. I really enjoyed this and am glad I finally gave it a go. ( )
  katekintail | May 23, 2016 |
Sal is a thirteen year old girl.Her wish is too see her mother with her grandparents.And on her mothers birthday she wishes to bring her mother back home were she and her dad is. I really recommend this book its loving powerful story also Sal tells her grandparents amazing 13 year old girl named Peboe who wishes to be reunited with her mother like Sal.
  AnikaU13 | May 22, 2016 |
This book was an interesting read. I liked most aspects of the book while didn’t like a few choices Creech made. The story is about thirteen-year-old Sal who is on a road trip to Idaho to visit her mother with her grandparents. The biggest problem that I had with this book was how emotionally unattached Sal was. The book explains that her mother left her when she was younger and she didn’t have emotions for a while, and throughout the book we can see other things in her life that she is struggling with like unreliable adults, accepting her past, and communicating her feelings. It isn’t until Sal begins telling her grandparents about her friend Phoebe that she is able to talk about her own past in relation to her friend’s. Creech weaves important morals throughout her books such as growing up, losing loved ones, and finding one’s self. As if the story wasn’t interesting enough, Creech’s writing takes the book to another level. Creech’s writing makes it easy to keep turning every page and want to know what happens next. Below I picked out one quote that I thought represented her talented writing that I thoroughly enjoyed. I would recommend this book to others.
“If not, people would have the birds of sadness nesting in their hair all the time, because of nuclear wars and the greenhouse effect and bombs and stabbings and lunatics. There must have been another box with all the good things in it, like sunshine and love and trees and all that. Who had the good fortune to open that one, and was there one bad thing down there in the bottom of the good box? Maybe it was Worry. Even when everything seems fine and good, I worry that something will go wrong and change everything.”
  kamann1 | Mar 30, 2016 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
For my sister and brothers:
Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom
with love
from
The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a country girl at heart, and that is true.
Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
Everyone has his own agenda.
In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?
You can’t keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair.
We never know the worth of water until the well is dry.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,458,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible