Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,641227755 (4.14)1 / 117
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

This book was an interesting read. I liked most aspects of the book while didn’t like a few choices Creech made. The story is about thirteen-year-old Sal who is on a road trip to Idaho to visit her mother with her grandparents. The biggest problem that I had with this book was how emotionally unattached Sal was. The book explains that her mother left her when she was younger and she didn’t have emotions for a while, and throughout the book we can see other things in her life that she is struggling with like unreliable adults, accepting her past, and communicating her feelings. It isn’t until Sal begins telling her grandparents about her friend Phoebe that she is able to talk about her own past in relation to her friend’s. Creech weaves important morals throughout her books such as growing up, losing loved ones, and finding one’s self. As if the story wasn’t interesting enough, Creech’s writing takes the book to another level. Creech’s writing makes it easy to keep turning every page and want to know what happens next. Below I picked out one quote that I thought represented her talented writing that I thoroughly enjoyed. I would recommend this book to others.
“If not, people would have the birds of sadness nesting in their hair all the time, because of nuclear wars and the greenhouse effect and bombs and stabbings and lunatics. There must have been another box with all the good things in it, like sunshine and love and trees and all that. Who had the good fortune to open that one, and was there one bad thing down there in the bottom of the good box? Maybe it was Worry. Even when everything seems fine and good, I worry that something will go wrong and change everything.”
  kamann1 | Mar 30, 2016 |
Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
loved the remembering in this book ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
This book was enjoyable for several reasons. First, it is about a girl who is trying to find herself which makes it appropriate for 5th grade students and who are discovering who they are as they begin to transition from elementary to middle school. The main character, Sal, goes on a journey to find her missing mother while learning stories of her past and heritage and even starting a new school. Although readers aren’t going through the same tragedy of searching for their mother as Sal is, they are able to relate to the emotions portrays through relating to going through a change and ultimately evolving into a young adult. I also enjoyed this book because it was two separate stories about Sal that were interwoven. Each story switched chapters beginning with the road trip with her grandparents and changing to her life at home. Although the stories took place at different times they still went seamlessly together because of the main idea of both revolving around Sal finding her identity. They also gave information that helped us understand what was happening in the different story of the next chapter through revealing background information on events in her life. For example, we learn about Sal’s friend Phoebe in one chapter discussing her family and leaving Sal with curiosity which lead to her asking her grandparents about how her mother was growing up. ( )
  kkamin5 | Feb 9, 2016 |
“It seems to me that we can’t explain all the truly awful things in the world like war and murder and brain tumors, and we can’t fix these things, so we look at the frightening things that are closer to us and we magnify them until they burst open. Inside is something we can manage…”

Sometimes we can find our own stories if we “Walk Two Moons” in someone else’s story. Creech imaginatively unwinds Sal’s story as she tells the story of her friend, Phoebe in this book for young readers. We hear Phoebe’s story as we ride along with Sal and her grandparents on their journey across country. It is a journey of discovery and a cherished time with her grandparents. As we journey with Sal and her grandparents and hear Phoebe’s story, we grow to discover that Sal is also telling us her story. It is a story of mystery and youthful suspense, adventure and enlightenment as well as a journey of loss and sadness that leads us to hope. ( )
  Al-G | Jan 24, 2016 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
For my sister and brothers:
Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom
with love
from
The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a country girl at heart, and that is true.
Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
Everyone has his own agenda.
In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?
You can’t keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair.
We never know the worth of water until the well is dry.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible