Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

6,103239672 (4.14)1 / 129
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

I remember this book being read to me in like 7th grade, but I didn't really get the meaning of the book till much later. This is a great book to show and help a person going through realizing loss and dealing with it when it comes because this book is about a young girl taking a road trip with her grandparents and retracing the same trip her mother took to get to lewiston idaho.
  Lisamegis | Apr 25, 2017 |
Walk Two Moons is about a thirteen-year-old girl named Salamanca, or Sal for short. She goes on a road trip with her wacky grandparents to see her mother in Lewiston, Idaho. On the way she tells her grandparents a story about her friend, Phoebe Witerbottom, and their strange adventure together.

This book has a lot of entertainment value with its wacky characters and language. I related a little to the book as my grandparents are wacky as well. The conflicts in this book are character versus character, character versus self, and character versus society. I would recommend this book to upper elementary and middle school students. This book deals with death, social issues, judgment, and forgiveness.

Classroom extensions:
1) Discuss the unique language in the book. Have students discuss what they think each word and/or phrase means. Discuss idioms.
2) Discuss instances of judging people. Encourage students to look for instances in the book when a character prejudged another character and is proven wrong. ( )
  joaplant | Mar 27, 2017 |
I first read this book in 4th grade, and the only thing I remember about it (besides really liking it), was that the main character - Salamanca Tree Hiddle - went on a road trip with her grandparents to bring her mom back home. I completely forgot about the underlying story of Sal's friend Phoebe Winterbottom and her family. It was so much fun reading this book again some 16 years later; I got so much more out of it this time around. Sal, Phoebe, their families, and other supporting characters are so well written, and speak with such distinctive voices. I found myself underlining several sentences and phrases as I read. It's funny that I didn't realize/remember what happened to Sal's mom back in 4th grade, and re-reading it now it was pretty clear. But I guess I was like Sal back then, "fishing in the air' and trying to push away the bad. I finished this book feeling elated, a sure sign of a lovely and special book. It is a great story not only for middle grade readers, but adults as well. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Jan 7, 2017 |
This is great book for school age students to read. There are two stories being told throughout the book. There is the story of the main character Sal who is on a road trip with her grandparents that retrace the journey Sal's mom made on her way to Idaho. And the other story is about Sal telling her grandparents about her friend Phoebe. As Sal and her grandparents travel across the country Sal tells the story of what happened when she moved from her family's farm in Bybanks, Kentucky, to Euclid, Ohio where she met Phoebe. They soon became close friends. As Sal tries to help Phoebe through a family crisis Sal starts to understand of her own feelings of loss.

Comprehensive Strategy: This is great book for Literature Circles so students can discuss together and hopefully get a fuller understanding by listening to other student’s point of view. ( )
  kafreehill | Dec 3, 2016 |
In this book, Sal takes a journey across the country to see her mother in Lewiston, idaho with her grandparents. It turns out that her mother is deceased and they are going to visit her grave site. This is a great book to use to teach students about the tough topic of death and grief. It would be an ideal book to use with fourth or fifth graders.
  Jordan.Francies | Nov 29, 2016 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
For my sister and brothers:
Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom
with love
from
The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a country girl at heart, and that is true.
Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
Everyone has his own agenda.
In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?
You can’t keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair.
We never know the worth of water until the well is dry.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,169,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible