Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,114184873 (4.14)1 / 104
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

Recently added byheaven_star, EmilyK33, AnotherLizRose, grapeapril75, private library, becca1989

(4.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this chapter book written by Sharon Creech. One of my favorite aspects of the book was how the author engages all five senses within her writing. The main character, Sal, uses all five senses when she is observing things. For example, when Sal is talking about the things she has of her mother’s she describes the “red, fringed shawl; a blue sweater; and a yellow-flowered cotton dress that was always [her] favorite. These things had her smell on them.” Not only does Sal describe what she sees but also the smell of the items. The reader can see and smell them as well this enhances the understanding of her mother. Another aspect of the novel I liked was the point of view/narration of the story. Sal narrates the story for the reader. She is a wonderful narrator become she notices everything and is constantly observing the world around her. For instance, Sal could immediately tell that Mrs. Winterbottom was unhappy even when others couldn’t. Finally I really enjoyed the tone within the chapter book. The book has empathetic, mournful, and optimistic tones. My favorite part is when Sal describes how that even though there are murders and kidnappers in the world, most people are a lot like her. This gives a sense of hope in the story. The big idea/message of this story is written within the story. Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins. ( )
  EmilyBeer | Oct 14, 2014 |
This chapter book was an absolute breeze to read, because the story was like nothing I had ever read before. It had every necessary aspect to draw a reader in, love, hate, sadness, happiness and mystery. Creech used interwoven story, past and present interaction and well developed characters in order to convey her main message. She chose to incorporate a number of stories within this one book, these stories included Sal’s story of her mother, Phoebe’s family story and a number of Greek and Native American myths. This adds depth to Sal’s story and makes her journey to see her mother all the more interesting for readers. Creech also allows the past to interact with the present. Throughout Sal’s story, it is interrupted by smaller stories that happened in her past. This creates depth within Sal’s character. Each of the stories tells more of her past, her everyday experiences, people she has met, everything that makes Sal who she is. This allows readers to feel connected to Sal since they know so much about her. These three choices alone are enough to show readers Creech’s message that our stories are what makes us who we are. Everything we experience is what creates the person we become. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Oct 13, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book and it is now one of my favorites. First I liked this book because of the characters. All of the characters were believable and they truly enhanced the story. I definitely was able to relate to all of them in some way. For example Sal said, “When at last Gram and Gramps Hiddle and I set out that first day of the trip, I prayed for the first thirty minutes solid. I prayed that we would not be in an accident.” I laughed out loud at this because I am personally afraid to drive with my Grammy too. I just fell in love with each of the characters and what they contributed to the story. The second reason why I liked the book was because of the plot. From the beginning of the story I was hooked and wanted to read more. I liked how it started off suspenseful; what was the reason Sal was taking a two thousand mile journey with Gram and Gramps? I also liked the author’s writing, for instance how within the journey to Idaho Sal was using flashbacks to tell the adventures of Phoebe. The main message of this book was to not judge someone until you have walked in his or her shoes. ( )
  Germuth | Oct 13, 2014 |
“Walk Two Moons” was a beautifully written tale about a girl named Sal as she travels with her grandparents from Ohio to Idaho. The purpose of this trip was to retrieve Sal’s mother who left Sal and her father many months prior. As the story progresses we learn that Sal’s mother died but Sal is still looking for a sense of closure with her mothers passing and that is why she insisted on traveling to the death place of her mother. As Sal travels to her mother she tells her Gram and Gramps a story about her good friend from home, Phoebe. This story’s main message was about differing perspectives and how different stories can be woven into one another to create a unified tale. “Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins,” quoted from the book, this is a prefect example of what the author speaks about through the entirety of the book. This preaches the importance of the individual tales that each person has to say about their lives. I loved this book for so many different reasons. One thing that I loved was the way that the book flowed through the various storylines that were present. I was never confused about what was going on in Phoebe’s story as Sal told it to her grandparents as they traveled to Idaho. Sharon Creech, the author, did a wonderful job in adding in dialogue from Sal and her grandparents as they traveled to Idaho as Sal the story about Phoebe. Sharon Creech ensured that the readers did not forget about the various storylines in the text. Another aspect of this book that I very much enjoyed was the consistent foreshadowing in the story. As the book went on I felt that I was able to guess certain things about different characters and their fate at the end of the book based off of some clues given by Sharon Creech. While reading, I guessed that the “lunatic” was actually Phoebes’ brother and that Sal’s mother had passed away. One last thing that I enjoyed about this book was the various emotions that were so strongly portrayed in the text. There was so much love shown in the text through conversations between Gram and Gramps along with the butterflies between Sal and Ben. Additionally, the sadness that was felt when we learned about Sal’s mother and her Grans passing. A final emotion that was shown was fear and excitement when Phoebe thought that a lunatic had kidnapped her mother, only to later find out that this lunatic is her long lost half brother. ( )
  EmilyEgert | Oct 13, 2014 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible