Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,444217795 (4.14)1 / 109
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

I absolutely loved this book. In a world if picture perfect stories with happy endings, this raw, real, and beautifully written story within a story captivated me. Sal is unique, and deals with her mothers abandonment and death in a way that is authentic and touching. The characterization of every single character is deep and clear. So many stories and people are woven into one beautifully sad story. The book brings light to unspoken issues like parent abandonment, miscarriage, young love, adoption, and more. It is a great read for students because it has some many opportunities to teach students about so many things bigger than themselves. For some students, teacher scaffolding may be necessary since there is a lot to follow storyline wise. The language is easy to follow, beautiful and thought provoking, but fun words like "goosberry" and "cantankerous" keep the mood changing. I have already recommended this book to several people. ( )
  cmarti50 | Nov 13, 2015 |
I loved this book it was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ending was interesting. At the end Pheobys mom went missing and Phoeby thought her mom got murrderd or got kid napped. But every one else new that was not true. Sal and Pheoby saw Phoebys mom with a college dude and they were kissing and hugging. Phoeby freaked Sal ran out befor Phoeby did. Anyway I would recommend this book to people that love love love Fanesty. ( )
  AlexisF7 | Nov 11, 2015 |
The saying "don't judge a book by its cover" definitely applied to me when I first saw this book. The artwork on the front cover made it seem like it was a fantasy book, which is not one of my favorite genres to read. However, after hearing the book summary, I decided to give the book a chance, and I made a very good decision with that! I absolutely love this book. The only thing I can find wrong with it is the cover artwork only because it depicts the book as a different genre. On the cover you see a giant moon with a girl reaching for it. The font of the lettering also appears fantasy-like with tips of the letters curling a bit. One of the major things I liked about this book was the character development of Sal as she progressed telling her Grandmother the story of Phoebe Winterbottom. At the beginning Sal cannot come to terms to accept her mother's death and leaving. However, as Sal continues to tell her Grandmother the story of Phoebe and Phoebe's mom leaving, she begins to realize why her mother might have left home in the first place. Along with that, I liked how the book was set in the present and past. During the present Sal is in the car with her grandparents, while telling a story about the past with Phoebe. The author made a smooth transition from each time period by changing between past or present with each chapter. For example, if Sal is in the present with her grandparents, then the author would have the grandmother say "So tell me more about this Phoebe" at the end of the chapter. Then the following chapter would begin again with Sal's story of Phoebe. I also love the characters in this book because they are very believable and humorous. Phoebe was one of my favorites because she reminded me of a girl I went to school with. This girl also thought that everyone was an axe murder or out to get her, which made me laugh every time I read about one of Phoebe's theories. One of my favorite theories was how she believed Margaret Cadaver to be a murder and kill her husband's. Phoebe even went so far so say that Margaret's last name was Cadaver because of that. The big idea of this story is that sometimes you need to take time for yourself and reflect on the past to live in the present. This can easily be seen as Sal reflects on her mother's leaving. Once she accepts that, she is able to comfortably live again without constantly questioning and hoping for her mother to come home. ( )
  KaylaHobson | Nov 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. The story began with the main character, Salamanca, telling the audience how her mother left her. Since her mother left, Sal and her father would have to move because it was too sad to stay living in Bybanks, Kentucky. Sal and her father move to Euclid, Ohio. When Sal’s mother left she traveled to Idaho and along her journey she sent postcards of everywhere she stopped. Sal remained hopeful that one day her mother would return to her. Sal met a new friend, Phoebe, in Euclid. The two girls became attached at the hip. While Phoebe was struggling with her own personal family issues, Sal was right by her side helping out. Sal tells the story of her life with Phoebe through her trip with her grandparents. Her grandparents are taking Sal on a trip to find her mother in Idaho. The story ends with Sal facing the truth that her mother had died in a tragic bus accident. Meeting Phoebe and telling her story helped Sal come to realization of her own life. She knew her mother wouldn’t be returning. Admitting this to herself was hard, but rewarding in the end. The story ends with Sal and her father moving back to Bybanks and starting over. The characters throughout the story are believable. For example, losing a loved one is very challenging and hard to admit that they are never coming back. The author did an excellent job making Sal have a tough time realizing that her mother is actually dead. For example, Sal never wanted to talk with her dad about her mom. Also, Sal kept bringing unrealistic ideas about her mom up to her dad and her dad said that wasn’t possible. Sal wouldn’t understand why her mother wouldn’t come back home to her. Also, there are many conflicts throughout the story. One is when Phoebe’s mother goes missing too. It turns out Phoebe’s mom had another child. Phoebe, her older sister, and father, really struggled while the mom was gone. Everyone was upset and anxious to know where she was. The conflict becomes resolved when the mom comes back home with her new son. Although it takes time, the family learned to cope with the new son. This is realistic because if this were to happen, it usually would take time before the rest of the family was understanding and open to introducing an unknown family member. Lastly, I liked reading this story because the language and tone of the story was appropriate for the intended reader. For example, since death, stalkers, and murders are brought up throughout the book, the author did a good job of making sure it wasn’t too scary or sad. For the most part, the story is innocent. When Phoebe and Sal thought that the mom’s son was a lunatic and a stalker, he did not do anything too scary. He would just show up at unexpected times. He never harmed the girls or anyone else. Overall, I thought this was a very good book and an interesting read. ( )
  SarahAlaoui | Oct 17, 2015 |
As a student, Walk Two Moons was an absolute favorite book of mine. It’s a story about a 13-year-old girl named Salamanca Tree Hiddle and her journey cross-country with her grandparents on a mission to visit her mother’s final resting place. Along the way, Sal tells the tale of her best friend Phoebe, along with stories of many other wild characters. This book is very deep and dark at many points and invokes great emotion in the reader, however it still beholds a very lively story. Creech’s Newberry Medal winning book teaches a great lesson: don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins (also commonly stated as miles in shoes). This book has great potential for use in a middle school aged classroom, especially paired with a multimodal lesson. Because there are so many bizarre, fun characters, each with vastly different personalities, students should be invited to explore what makes them who they are. In this lesson, students are given a human sized piece of paper after being introduced to all of the main characters. A list of these characters should be made, including Sal, Phoebe, Grandma and Grandpa, Mrs. Cadaver, Mr. Birkway, Mrs. Partridge, Ben, Sal’s mother and father, and possibly some others. Students should be split in to groups, choose a character to represent, and illustrate their character. They can do this using markers, construction paper, yarn, fabric, and any other materials the teacher wishes to use. As students get further into the book, they should be given time to add certain attributes of their character to the illustration with the goal of creating a deeper understanding of what it would be like to “walk two moons” in their moccasins. At the end of the book, students can be asked to dramatize the characters by acting them out and the specific characteristics that they had defined throughout the reading. I highly recommend this captivating book to any age and encourage the teaching of a multimodal lesson along with it. The artistic elements of acting out and illustrating the characters gives students a chance to connect and relate to the character, also reemphasizing the wonderful moral of this story. ( )
  k.hostetler11 | Oct 7, 2015 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson
CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices
For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,899,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible