Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,277203837 (4.14)1 / 105
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

I liked this book for 2 reasons. The first reason is for the development of the characters. The characters each had very strong and defined personalities. Sal is a young girl who is struggling with the absence of her mother, she is stubborn and vulnerable. For example, Sal says, “Even when everything seems fine and good, I worry that something will go wrong and change everything.” Sal's grandparents taker her on a trip to “visit” her mother, they are understanding of what Sal needs to move on in her life. The grandparents are an example of how to enjoy life and take it as it comes, they try to show Sal all the wonderful things the world has to offer before getting to Idaho. First Gramps takes everyone to visit Mt. Rushmore and then Grams decides to go to Old Faithful in Yellowstone. Another reason why the grandparents were taking so many detours could have been to procrastinate since they knew what was to come when they reached their intended destination.
Another reason why I liked this book was for the plot twist. For large portion of the book the reader is actually living Sal’s fantasy. They are experiencing her denial as she talks through the events of her life. Talking to her grandparents on their trip is Sal’s grieving process, she says toward the end of the novel, “I also realized that there were lots of reasons why my father didn’t take me to Idaho when he got the news oh her death…Only later did I understand that I has to go and see for myself.” This story displayed the power of love and grief, showing that it can affect everyone in tremendous ways. ( )
  nlinco1 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book is one of my all time favorites since I first read it when I was in the fifth grade. The main character is Sal, who is a 12 year-old Native American girl traveling to Idaho with her grandparents, as she tells them stories about her friends in Bybanks. The trip that they’re taking to Idaho is in order to retrace Sal’s mother Sugar’s steps. Her mother left Sal and her father a year prior to the trip in the story, so they are going to where she was headed on her voyage. Sal’s Grandparents, Gramps and Grams, provide humor throughout the book, since it is essentially about grief and facing the loss of a loved one (Sal’s mother). Every time Sal and her grandparents stop to stay at a motel during their trip Gramps says “it ain’t our marriage bed, but it’ll do,” which I thought was really sweet.
Sal befriends a girl named Pheobe in the story, who is much different than easygoing, polite Sal. She is ignorant and bossy but Sal feels sorry for her because her mother leaves their family as well. In the book, Sal describes her strange friendship with Pheobe by saying, “There was something about Phoebe that was like a magnet. I was drawn to her. I was pretty sure that underneath all that odd behavior was someone who was frightened. And, in a strange way, she was like another version of me—she acted out the way I sometimes felt.” I thought the dynamic between the two girls throughout the story was really interesting because although they are so different, they share a strong emotional attachment to their mothers and that’s what keeps them so close.
The main ideas in this book are to not judge someone by their appearance, and know that everyone is going through different struggles. Also, because Sal’s mother we find out died in a bus accident on her way to Idaho a year prior to the story, grief and how to deal with loss are big themes throughout the book. ( )
  tmalon4 | Apr 12, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this moving story of love and loss. What caught my attention right away about the story was that Salamanca, the main character, was apart of the Indian culture but the story was not based around that part of her life. The author made good use of the story to include it in the background of her life in the beginning for the reader and include small details here and there but not let it tell the deeper story behind Salamanca. For example, the author included how her long dark hair makes her different but she then becomes friends with Phoebe, which changes her life.
I also liked the how the story is told from Salamanca to entertain her grandparents on their road trip. Salamanca’s story leads up to where he grandparents are going which is her mother’s grave. For example, throughout the story Salamanca is frustrated how her and her father moved and she wishes her mother would come back and in the end of the story she finally meets back up with her mother.

The big idea of this book is about the powerful use of love. The author shows love through Salamanca’s grandparent’s funny, crazy relationship. The author also uses Salamanca’s love she has towards her mother and father and compares her relationships to her friend phoebe’s relationships. ( )
  Toconn2 | Apr 6, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. The main idea is you can’t judge a book by its cover or better yet “you can never judge a man, until you walk two moons in his moccasins.” This book is one of the best books I have read. The story is full of emotions that can allow many readers to understand and connect. The grandparents are one of my favorite characters. One of my favorite travelers’ sections was when; gramps tries to help the lady with the engine and ends up ruining the whole engine and calling a mechanic. Having the grandparents to lighten the mood of the story is critical. There is so much drama and emotional stories between parent relationships with children and the marriage relationships as well. Another part of the book I had connected to was the birth of Sal’s little sister. I have had people close to me loose the baby after/during birth. It is the most difficult time for a parent(s). When she went on saying they wanted to hold the diseased infant, it really hit me hard and caused a flood of emotions to rise. The story was fantastic in the way each story lead into one another. The cover up stories Sal tells of Phoebe to her grandparents shows her perspective and thoughts was a great transition between stories and comical grandparent. Another part of the story I related to was the chapter about Pandora’s Box. Sal goes to further explain how “if one box held all the good and one evil, that evil would be worry.” I completely agree with her statement because all this book does is worry about the characters and their intents/actions. Sal worries about her mother all the way up to the discovery. After finding out about her mother, (which I had thought was the ending result) all the pieces come together of who the surviving bus passenger is. The moral of the story comes full circle that you can’t judge a book by its cover. All the assumptions made by Phoebe and Sal were completely wrong and now brought to light is the truth. This was a awesome book that I would also like to have available for many to read. ( )
  kfrey4 | Mar 31, 2015 |
After talking to several different people I had high hopes for the book Walk Two Moons. All my expectations were met. I love this book. One of the most important things about this book is that Sal is such a relatable character. While not everyone has experienced the events of her life, they have experienced something that has happened to her. Another thing about this book is that it has such heavy content, but the author provides comic relief using her grandparents. Finally I love how the story is told. All of these things contribute to making the story the amazing one that it is.
The book had a concept that not every one experiences, when the main character’s mom leave for a vacation and decides to not come back. Even though this is the main thing that the main character I dealing with, the author made her such a dynamic character that everyone is able to find something in Sal that they are able to relate to. Whether it be her struggling with not having a mom around, her dad’s relationship with a new woman, moving to a new place, or road tripping, this book has something for everyone. Being able to relate to what you are reading as a reader is essential. It helps you to become more invested in the story. For me I could relate to traveling long distances in the car. I have traveled all up and down the east coast in the car and can understand how difficult it can be to be stuck in the car. When the reader is able to connect with the story it allows for the meaning of the story to mean more to the reader and enhances their reading experience all together.
Another aspect about this book that I loved was that even though the book dealt with some pretty difficult issues there was still comedic relief throughout the story. Sal’s grandparents provided the relief. They were some of my favorite characters, because I can most definitely relate to having quirky grandparents. One of the best parts of the book is when Sal is telling the reader that her grandparents go arrested for trying to barrow tires off of a car. While this may have seemed like a small thing in the book, having the comedy in the midst of all the seriousness of the story allowed for the reader to take a break from the seriousness and laugh for a minute.
Finally I loved how this story was told. The main character Sal tells a story to her grandparents as they took a road trip to go find her mother told it. She tells her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe Winterbottom, but as she tells her friends story the reader is really hear Sal’s story underneath of it. Both of those stories are encompassed in the story of the road trip. I think that the way the story was told also tells the reader a lot about the characters. Sal, much like the way the story is told has man layers. I think that this was done on purpose and it allows the reader to really understand how complex the main character is.
I believe that the main message of the book was that there are some tough things that you encounter in life, but if you have strong relationships with people you are able to get through anything that life throws your way. ( )
  Khammersla | Mar 31, 2015 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,560,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible