Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,157190867 (4.14)1 / 104
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

This story is about a young girl who goes on a road trip with her grandparents. Her grandparents talk about another young girl going through a similar situation.
I like this book because it does a good job of painting a great picture in the readers mind.
I would have anyone from 4-6th grade, based on the reading level.
  AmyGelle | Nov 21, 2014 |
Story about a 13 year old girl whose only wish is to be reunited with her missing mother. Such an amazing book. More geared toward middle schoolers. Could be a great book for middle school read aloud in class?
  kzilinskas | Nov 16, 2014 |
SUMMARY
Sal Hiddles mother abandoned her and her father. She is traumatized by the situation.Her mother leaves Nd now Sal wants to trace her. Her and her grandparents embark on a journey to find her. She realizes she has to come to terms with her own situation.

PERSONAL REACTION
I really did not enjoy this story. It was very sad and depressing to me.

CLASSROOM EXTENSION
1. This could be used to show befriending someone who is having a hard time.
2. Have students write about a sad time in their life and how they felt
  christianf | Nov 16, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this novel. I think this would be a great novel for upper-elementary students to read because of the experiences some of the characters are going through. What is great about this novel is it follows the protagonist, Salamanca, on a journey with her two grandparents to Minnesota to visit her mother. While on the trip to pass time Salamanca talks about her friend Phoebe and what is happening in her life. There are really four stories happening at once. The story of Salamanca, the story of Phoebe, the story of Salamanca's grandparents, and the story of the road trip Salamanca and her grandparents are experiencing. This would be a great book to incorporate U.S geography in the classroom as the novel goes through different states. It would also be a great novel to teach about context clues since the ending to some students may seem surprising. Overall points of the novel are heartbreaking, but it teaches students the importance of love and life. ( )
  bmsherid | Nov 11, 2014 |
Summary:

This is a story about Salamanca, called Sal, and her journey with her grandparents to find her mother. Sal's parents had divorced, her mother had disappeared, and everything in Sal's life had changed dramatically. In her new school she met another young girl named Phoebe who she bonded with, who was also without her mother. While traveling with her grandparents to find her mother's resting place, she talks to her grandparents about Phoebe, about her own father, and her mother. On their journey they had quite an adventure experiencing many things they did not expect. Sal's grandparents teach her to "never judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Even with the loss of her mother to death, her father to mental illness, Sal is able to find comfort in the relationship she has and strengthens with her grandparents on her trip.

Personal Reaction:

The subject of death is something we will all encounter at one point or another in our life, but there is something about the death of our mother that connects us to other people - and in this case other characters. This book affected me on a deeply personal level, and I appreciate that the author wrote about Sal's experience including her grandparents on her journey both literally and figuratively.

Classroom Extensions:

1 - Students will be prompted to write a response to the prompt, What does "never judge a man until you've walked two moons in his shoes" mean to you?

2 - Students will compose a letter to their grandparents, (snail mail - not an email or text), that communicates what they are doing in school, future plans, favorite memory and ask their grandparents how they are and what they are doing to model a conversation that encourages questions and responses from both parties. ( )
  MaryMK | Nov 9, 2014 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,049,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible