Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,257197842 (4.13)1 / 105
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

I absolutely loved this book, and it was such a wonderful read. I never wanted to put this book down, because of how the author consistently left you on the edge of your seat. Reading this book now as I am older, truly made me appreciate the overall message of, "never judge a man, until you walk two moons in his moccasins." As a young reader, I would not have made all of these connections the book had to offer. However, now I was able to make all of the connections, and truly understand why the author's style of writing is so intriguing. The characters in this book were from a different culture, and I loved how they brought to life so much of the beauty that the world has to offer, and this put me in such a great mood. I commend Sharon Creech, on such a wonderful read that student's can definitely benefit with if they are struggling with understanding the effects of death, or simply because they would like a great read. ( )
  kbarry9 | Mar 21, 2015 |
This book shocked me, but in the best way possible. I had no idea that the mother was already dead when Sal went to see her. I was even optimistic when I found out that the bus had flipped and there was only one survivor. The characters were very believable. I can imagine any grandparents wanted to hear interesting stories about their grandchildren. Also, acting like there is all the time in the world for them to explore many great things seems like a set of grandparents that have had a fulfilling life. Phoebe actually was my favorite character. Even though she could be considered “bratty,” her story line and her life with her family created such an intriguing view, that I always wanted to know what happened. At first, I thought that Phoebe’s mother was having an affair with the “lunatic” but was completely shocked when he ended up being Phoebe’s brother. The plot was very easy to follow. You knew when the story was changing from Sal in the car with her grandparents, to Sal’s life with Phoebe and her father. Sal’s grandmother always wanted to hear more about Phoebe’s story so it was an easy transition into the story. The big message in this story was that there will always be surprises. From death, to family, to friendship, anything can happen. ( )
  AudreyLast | Mar 19, 2015 |
This book follows the journey Sal takes to find her mom. She is Native American, and it ends on a somber note.
  elindseyziegler | Mar 15, 2015 |
I love the adventure that “Walk Two Moons” brought me on. The excitements throughout the entire book made me want to keep reading. I wanted to keep hearing Sal tell her grandma and grandpa about Phoebe’s story, because while she was telling them about her, I was actually learning about Sal. During some parts of the book I thought I was confused and missing information, such as to why Sal’s mother never returned, but later realized everything tied in together. (I can’t say it without giving the ending away!) This book had multiple mysteries throughout the story, beyond just why Sal’s mother disappeared. I loved comparing and contrasting Phoebe’s mother leaving to Sal’s because it always seemed to be a mystery, until the end of the book when everything came together. It seemed that this all happened at once, but it is exactly what made me keep reading! The message of this book (which was also said multiple times throughout the book) is to “not judge a man until you walk two moons in his moccasins”, in other words; do not judge a book by its cover. Throughout the story, Phoebe and Sal prematurely judge many different situations, and then are later proven wrong, which is why the message is especially important to this book. I love this book, and I would definitely read it again! ( )
  Milina_Moreno | Mar 11, 2015 |
WALK TWO MOONS by Sharon Creech is a wonderful book for children. I used it to teach my literature class. We finished it today and the kids liked it a lot. It was their favorite book so far. The protagonist is Sal who tells the story in the first person. Sal is on a journey to find her Mom who left after a stillbirth to recover in Lewiston, Idaho. What Sal doesn't know is that her Mom died in a bus accident. We have read so many books this year that involve absent mothers. It wasn't by design. It just happened. At the end of the journey, like a life's journey, Sal learns her Mom is dead and that Gram is dead as well. My kids think all stories have happy endings and this is the first one we have read that has a sad ending. They were fine with that. Now that they are ten, they can deal with an unhappy ending. Next week we will begin THE ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN. I am not sure yet how I will deal with the "nigger" question but I will find a way. I talked about it today and they seemed pretty relaxed. One boy said my Mom let me watch a movie and every other word was the "F" word. He was nonchalant about that. I must say he is a well read mature kid. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Feb 9, 2015 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,191,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible