Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

5,560220776 (4.14)1 / 113
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

“It seems to me that we can’t explain all the truly awful things in the world like war and murder and brain tumors, and we can’t fix these things, so we look at the frightening things that are closer to us and we magnify them until they burst open. Inside is something we can manage…”

Sometimes we can find our own stories if we “Walk Two Moons” in someone else’s story. Creech imaginatively unwinds Sal’s story as she tells the story of her friend, Phoebe in this book for young readers. We hear Phoebe’s story as we ride along with Sal and her grandparents on their journey across country. It is a journey of discovery and a cherished time with her grandparents. As we journey with Sal and her grandparents and hear Phoebe’s story, we grow to discover that Sal is also telling us her story. It is a story of mystery and youthful suspense, adventure and enlightenment as well as a journey of loss and sadness that leads us to hope. ( )
  Al-G | Jan 24, 2016 |
Salamanca Tree Hiddle could not be angrier at her father. For all of her 13 years of life all she has known is the farm in Bybanks, Kentucky, and now he is dragging her to Ohio to live in a town where she knows nobody but her dad has a lady-friend named Margaret. Mr. Hiddle is leaving Kentucky because he can't bear living where he shared his life with his adored wife who left him and Salamanca behind after a family tragedy. She said she was going to Idaho for awhile to sort things out but she never returned. When Sal meets Margaret she dislikes the woman on sight but is intrigued by Margaret's next door neighbor, Phoebe. Phoebe and Sal become great friends and when Phoebe's mother suddenly leaves her family behind to 'figure things out' the two girls form a deep bond.

Sal is now on her way to Idaho to seek out her missing mother. Grandma and Grandpa Hiddle are driving Sal from Ohio to Idaho stopping along the way at all of the places Sal's mother sent postcards from. During the drive Sal tells the story of Phoebe's mother's disappearance while trying to cope with the absence of her own mother. Sal has never given up hope that she can convince her mother to come home and that along with her father the 3 can become a family back in Bybanks.

This young adult book won the Newbery Medal in 1995 and it is easy to understand why. The characters are wonderfully drawn and the story is rich with humor, sadness, friendship and family. I definitely shed a few tears reading this one.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Walk Two Moons is a story within a story. Sal and her father move from there beautiful farm in Kentucky to a cookie cutter house in Ohio. Sal and her grandparents, Gram and Gramps, take a trip to Idaho to see where her mother was buried, in order to receive some closure. On the way, Sal tells her grandparents about the interesting events that happened to her friend Phoebe and her family. Sal then finds her self in love with boy who is the cousin of Mary Lou, another friend of hers. This causes some problems with Mary Lou. Once Sal and her grandparents have reached their destination, tragedy struck. Sal ends up having to accomplish her goals without the help of her grandparents. Her and her father move back to their farm in Kentucky to rebuild their lives.
This book is excellent for students who have recently moved or have lost a family member. Although the book is hard to read at times, it allows the reader to feel the emotion of the author. This book could help that students get through the difficult change.
  Amberechase | Nov 30, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book. In a world if picture perfect stories with happy endings, this raw, real, and beautifully written story within a story captivated me. Sal is unique, and deals with her mothers abandonment and death in a way that is authentic and touching. The characterization of every single character is deep and clear. So many stories and people are woven into one beautifully sad story. The book brings light to unspoken issues like parent abandonment, miscarriage, young love, adoption, and more. It is a great read for students because it has some many opportunities to teach students about so many things bigger than themselves. For some students, teacher scaffolding may be necessary since there is a lot to follow storyline wise. The language is easy to follow, beautiful and thought provoking, but fun words like "goosberry" and "cantankerous" keep the mood changing. I have already recommended this book to several people. ( )
  cmarti50 | Nov 13, 2015 |
I loved this book it was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ending was interesting. At the end Pheobys mom went missing and Phoeby thought her mom got murrderd or got kid napped. But every one else new that was not true. Sal and Pheoby saw Phoebys mom with a college dude and they were kissing and hugging. Phoeby freaked Sal ran out befor Phoeby did. Anyway I would recommend this book to people that love love love Fanesty. ( )
  AlexisF7 | Nov 11, 2015 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible