Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

4,921None928 (4.14)1 / 103
Member:sarahflack
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, sadness, journey, acceptance, children's literature, Sharon Creech, loss, grief, grieving, grandparents, family, parallel stories, realistic fiction, abandonment

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

I really enjoyed reading this book for a few reasons. This is one of the few books that made me emotional towards the end! The language was very descriptive and allowed me to picture exactly what the author was trying to describe. For example, the author described Phoebe with “hair-as yellow as a crow’s foot-curled in short ringlets” and her “huge enormous sky-blue eyes.” This allowed me to create a picture in my head of what the character looked like. The writing flowed and created a sense of engagement for the reader. For example, when the grandparents kept interrupting Sal when she was trying to tell her story, it made the reader want to keep reading. I also really loved the plot of the story. It was extremely suspenseful, especially when Phoebe was always freaking out thinking that lunatics were out to get her family. She and Sal also created a sense of mystery behind her next door neighbor, saying that she killed her husband and buried him in the backyard. The big idea of the story is to display the struggle of Sal and her grief with her mother’s death. ( )
  kbrehm1 | Apr 4, 2014 |
I loved how surprising this book was! When I began reading it, I had not idea that her mother died and her grandmother would also die. This book deals with the sad reality of death of close family members and would be a good way to relate to students going through similar life events. Salamanca learns how to deal with the pain of loss and is able to move forward. I also liked that the book had a story within the story. Phoebe’s story is very similar to Salamanca’s in that their mother’s left them for some reason. I thought it was interesting to have a comparison within the story to see how different characters react to abandonment. Overall, I thought this was a wonderful book with a powerful ending. ( )
  EmilySadler | Apr 1, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books that I have read so far in the class. Although, the story was sad and somewhat unexpected I very much enjoyed reading it. The author uses a wide variety of characters and personalities to keep the reader interested. Sal is able to connect with each character although they are all very different from each other. For example, Phoebe becomes Sals best friend in the book. Their connection grows stronger when Phoebes mother leaves them because Sal understands what Phoebe is going through. Throughout the entire book Sal has resentment towards Mrs. Cadaver because she believes that she is trying to take her mother's place. However, at the end of the book she grows closer because she discovers that Mrs. Cadaver was the last person to be with her mother when she was alive. The story is written in a way that keeps the reader entertained. Throughout the journey of Gramps, Grams, and Sal to go find her mother, she tells the story of Phoebe and their friendship. The two swapping stories keep the reader on a type of cliffhanger, leaving them wondering what is going to happen in the other story. Although, Grams and her mother have past away the reader is sad but also left at peace knowing why her mother had not returned to Sal. ( )
  mooste2 | Mar 31, 2014 |
I loved this book. It takes you through such a wide variety of emotion while reading. Sal and her grandparents get to see old faithful and it is beautiful and amazing back to the mystery and worry of Phoebe's mom leaving. Then you feel sadness when Phoebe sees her mom with Mike and she doesn't understand what is going on. It was intriguing and takes you through so many emotions just in a few pages.

Another reason I really liked this book is because of the language used. The grandparents have been given their own language to use. For example they say Peeby instead of Phoebe and the grandpa always calls the grandma gooseberry. Another example would be calling Sal chickabiddy.

The main idea of this story is sometimes you have to see for yourself. Sal was not going to be able to come to peace with the loss of her mother until she saw for herself that she was really gone. ( )
  jraeke1 | Mar 24, 2014 |
Walk Two moons follows the story of a teenage girl who takes a cross country road trip to follow the path of her mother who left her and her father. Throughout the trip the girl, Sal, uses the story of others to describe her own personal story in an underlying way. While this story covers the ideas of friendship, family, loss, and acceptance the main message of this story comes from the title. The story frequently uses the quote “Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins” or until you truly know someone before you form opinions about them. The author demonstrates this by following the misconceptions of many different characters onto other characters. Some of these include Sal’s view of her mother, Sal’s view of Mrs. Cadaver, the classes view of other classmates, the classes view on Phoebe’s mother leaving, Phoebe’s view of “the lunatic” along with many others. The author follows each character and allows the reader to get an insight into their feelings, thoughts, judgments, misconceptions, and how they change these misconceptions about other people. I very much enjoyed this book; I was glued to it the second I picked it up. The plot twist at the end and how the whole story came together in the end made this such an incredible book. However, I also enjoyed this book because it contained stories inside of stories inside of stories. As a reader, this kept me engaged and interested on every page. ( )
  CarolinePfrang | Mar 24, 2014 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,470,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible