The gathering by Anne enright

Title:The gathering
Authors:Anne enright
Info:
Rating:****1/2

The Gathering by Anne Enright (2007)

English (159)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  French (1)  All (169)
Anne Enright writes beautifully but oh gosh, this was a bleak book. Not a book to recommend on Suicide Watch. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
Bleak — Irish story large family, alcohol, abuse — suicide

The nine surviving children of the Hegarty clan are gathering in Dublin for the wake of their wayward brother, Liam, drowned in the sea. His sister, Veronica, collects the body and keeps the dead man company, guarding the secret she shares with him—something that happened in their grandmother’s house in the winter of 1968.
  christinejoseph | May 11, 2017 |
Amazing is all I can say. I've seen this book reviewed and the synopsis just didn't grab me -- a large Irish family gathering for a funeral; family secrets and how they affected three generations -- sounds banal right? Not when it's written by Anne Enright. Her voice is distinctive, personal, colloquial, surprising, enchanting. I'm only a third of the way through the book and already I went back to re-read and re-savour the first few chapters. Unless something changes, I expect this will be one of the few books I will start to re-read completely as soon as I finish it the first time. It was the winner of the Mann Booker Prize in 2007 so I should have known it would be great. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
The story was getting nowhere till three-quarters of the book when the story picked up, and I finally had an idea of what the story is getting at. There are many layers to this book, which is probably why it won the booker price. ( )
  siok | Jan 30, 2017 |
This is a pretty grim read and I felt like it trod familiar ground without bringing much that was new to the party. The writing is good, very cold and clear and precise, and the information builds up gradually as the narrator works round the stories of the past. But it just didn't quite click with me for some reason. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Jan 3, 2017 |
At its best Enright's prose style is excitingly original, a blend of defensive social satire with extreme precision in evoking sounds, smells, and atmosphere and a great ability to make rapid and telling transitions from past to present, concrete to abstract, narrative to reflection. However, these qualities emerge for the most part in sections peripheral to the main story.... When, on the other hand, she slides into melodrama and literary formula, The Gathering does indeed sound like at least nine other writers and by no means the best.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Tim Parks (pay site) (Apr 17, 2008)

Her prose often ravishes and sometimes repels: reading her can be like staring into the lustrous surface of a lake, trying to discern the dangers lurking beneath. . . Bringing together the skills she has honed along the way, Enright carries off her illusions without props or dei ex machina, bravely engaging with the carnival horrors of everyday life.

added by lucyknows | editscis (pay site)

Anne Enrightprimary authorall editionscalculated
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to write down what happened in my grandmother's house the summer I was eight or nine, but I am not sure if it really did happen. I need to bear witness to an uncertain event. I feel it roaring inside me--this thing that may not have taken place. I don't even know what name to put on it. I think you might call it a crime of the flesh, but the flesh is long fallen away and I am not sure what hurt may linger in the bones.
…I was living my life in inverted commas. I could pick up my keys and go ‘home’ where I could ‘have sex’ with my ‘husband’ just like lots of other people did. That is what I had been doing for years. And I didn’t seem to mind the inverted commas, or even notice that I was living in them, until my brother died.
This is The Gathering by Anne Enright. It should not be combined with The Gathering by Joseph Lidster.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802170390, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, November 2007: Pretty early on in The Gathering you realize that in her lingering portrait of the Hegarty clan (and this isn't hyperbole--they are a family of 12), Irish novelist Anne Enright will wrestle with all the giant literary tropes that have come before her. Family, of course, is the big one, but with equal intensity she explores death and dying, the sea and its siren song, sex, shame, secrecy, unreliable memories, madness, "the drink," and--always in the shadows--England. That said, it's not like any other novel about the Irish that I've read. The story of the Hegartys is indeed bleak, and hard, but it surges with tenderness and eloquent thought which, in the end, are the very things that help this family (or at least her narrator Veronica) survive. Through her eyes, and in Enright's skillful imagination, those small turning-point moments of life that we all know in some form or another--a petty fight, a careless word, an event witnessed--come together in an unshakeable vision of how you become the person you are. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

As nine members of the Hegarty clan gather for the wake of their drowned brother Liam, his sister Veronica remembers the secret he shared with her about what happened in their grandmother's house thirty years ago, a betrayal that spans three generations. "The nine surviving children of the Hegarty clan are gathering in Dublin for the wake of their wayward brother, Liam, drowned in the sea. His sister, Veronica, collects the body and keeps the dead man company, guarding the secret she shares with him - something that happened in their grandmother's house in the winter of 1968. As Enright traces the line of betrayal and redemption through three generations, she shows how memories warp and secrets fester."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,147,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible