Field of Blood by Denise Mina

Field of Blood (2005)

by Denise Mina

549None18,132 (3.7)26
Recently added bymkboylan, lizatclif, kara.shamy, tpolley, private library, BillPilgrim, Beaubsi, jenzbaker
1980s (7) 2005 (3) borrowed (3) British (8) children (3) crime (27) crime fiction (15) detective (12) ebook (5) fiction (49) Glasgow (33) journalist (7) journalists (4) library (3) murder (11) mystery (81) own (4) Paddy Meehan (27) Paddy Meehan series (3) read (8) reporter (4) Scotland (50) Scottish (7) series (8) suspense (4) tartan noir (6) thriller (16) to-read (14) UK (3) unread (3)

English (18)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
I got this at a library sale. It was published in 2005 but the bulk of the story takes place in 1981 (there are some parts that took place in the mid-1960's). It features Paddy Meehan, and it is the first book in a series. There were three of them published in 05, 06 and 07. She is a young copyboy at a Glasgow newpaper. When a young boy is brutally murdered and the young cousin of her fiancee is arrested with another boy, she doubts the police's theory of the crime which holds that the two boys acted alone. So, she starts to investigate.
It is high quality writing. We see almost everything from Paddy's perspective. We get to know her well, seeing her with her family and co-workers. The city of Glasgow also plays a major role. I'll read the rest of the books of the trilogy.
You can read the book here: http://www.rulit.net/books/field-of-blood-read-205778-1.html ( )
1 vote BillPilgrim | Feb 25, 2014 |
Another Mina, and another Mina protagonist -- Paddy Meehan, aspiring journalist, working as a "copy boy" at a Glasgow newspaper. Like all Mina heroines, Paddy has self esteem problems and a troubled relationship with her family; I warmed to her as I was reading, but she doesn't quite stand up to Maureen O'Donnell or Alex Morrow in the other series by Mina I've read. The mystery deals with the brutal murder of a three-year old boy, presumably by other boys (so a warning for people who can's read about children killing children). Is this murder connected to a similar one eight years ago? How does the fate of another Paddy Meehan, a man framed for and convicted of a murder he didn't commit, influence the thinking of this Paddy? Of course, in a Mina book, there is more to it than a mystery, and this one eventually explores how parents treat their children, and what they will and won't do for them, as well as giving a little insight into the world of newspaper journalism back in the 80s.
1 vote rebeccanyc | Jan 15, 2014 |
It is not a good thing that it was only when I went to put this on the site that I was alerted to the fact that I had read it before by the duplication of works.
Dont get me wrong I loved this book. the characters are so belevable, especially the women. I can understand the beginning of life problems of the young jurnalist (paddy). The not quite understading her position and having to make decisions and not wanting too. Relaising that what she might want out of life is conflicting with what other people assumed that she was going to do. However the story simply has not stuck in my head - even after reading this for the second time I find it difficult to remember quite how it went. I venver quite figured out how the second story of the other paddy was supposed to fit in, other than to confuse me.
  jessicariddoch | Dec 15, 2011 |
The first book about Paddy Meehan. Brilliant description of Glasgow early 1980's. Should be read in English otherwise you will miss out on the Glaswegian dialect. ( )
  watershrew17 | Sep 13, 2011 |
Patricia "Paddy" Meehan, copygirl at Scottish Daily News, gets an unwelcome career boost when a toddler is murdered by two little boys, one of which is related to Paddy's fiancée. It's a very, very gruesome story - not only the part about the murder, which is horrific, but all the circumstances surrounding it. Mina writes well about 1980's Glasgow and manages to conjure up a feeling of that time and place, with its sometimes complicated family relations, living arrangements, and work situations, that rings absolutely true. This my first Denise Mina book and I've already been told that her other books are even better, so I'm looking forward to reading more. ( )
1 vote -Eva- | Aug 8, 2011 |
Judas . . . purchased a field with the reward of iniquity . . . And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem . . . that [the] field is called . . . the field of blood.

ACTS 1: 16-19 (King James Version)
For Fergus.

Fight on, baby.
They were still traveling, into the dark.
He could see figures running, melting into the brightness, and then, as if the fact of other people had been a mistake, he was alone again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031615458X, Mass Market Paperback)

A sensational murder provides the young journalist Paddy Meehan with her big professional break when she realizes that she has a personal connection to one of the suspects.Launching her own investigation, Paddy uncovers lines of deception that go deep into the past - and that could spell even more horrible crimes in the future if she doesn't get the story right.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:45 -0400)

When her fiance's cousin is implicated in the murder of a young boy and a rival reporter leaks the story, fledgling Scottish journalist Paddy Meehan is forced to salvage her relationship with her future in-laws by clearing the cousin's name.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible