Resolution by Denise Mina

Resolution (2001)

by Denise Mina

Series: Maureen O'Donnell (3)

An unusual crime novel as the protagonist is not a cop or detective or lawyer. The resolution was satisfying with a good twist. Good reading. ( )
  jerhogan | Feb 10, 2014 |
Third in the [Garnethill] trilogy, a mystery that takes place in Glasgow. First of all, it was the characters themselves who kept me reading, flawed, courageous (sometimes accidentally so), loving, angry, violent, realistic and, ultimately, inspiring. Secondly, I know very little about Scotland and it was fun learning so much. Every time I picked up one of these books I found myself looking up a meaning for something, from architecture to food to pubs to politics and law. I am still amazed at the differences in the English language used in different countries, although really I don't know why because the English used in different states in the U.S. is often very different. However, for that I don't usually have to run to the dictionary.

There were a zillion twists and turns in this book and trilogy and I never knew what was going to happen. The stories play out on multiple levels. Highly recommended.

Five stars. ( )
  mkboylan | Oct 24, 2013 |
In the conclusion of Mina's Garnethill trilogy, Maureen is forced to confront several of her demons at the same time. The trial of the man who gruesomely killed her lover in her apartment is about to start and she has to testify at it, the father who abused her as a child is back in town, and her sister is about to have a baby, frightening her about what her father might do to the baby. Then, because of a good deed she does for a strange old woman who also works in the down-at-the-heels market where Maureen and her friend Leslie are selling illegal cigarettes, she uncovers what is really going on at a brothel. Fortunately for Maureen, because a lot of creepy things are happening, her friendship with Leslie has been repaired, she has her new friend Kilty, and her brother Liam still is her only connection to her family, although her newly sober mother keeps calling her.

As with the earlier novels in this trilogy, the strengths of this one are the characters, the portrayal of the underside of Glasgow, and the pacing. The plot was interesting enough to keep me reading although, especially at the end, some of it strained my credulity, including the impact of various plot developments on Maureen. But I will read more Mina.
1 vote rebeccanyc | Oct 20, 2013 |
Spoiler(?):
The most shocking twist was the happy ending.

Favorite lines:
"His chin was so weak it looked as if he was recoiling from the world in disgust."

"The soft breeze caressed her face, brushing her hair back like a kind mother..."

"'Oh, for fuck's sake, Leslie,' snapped Maureen, 'being humiliated doesn't mean you've done anything special, it just means you got out of bed. Life's humiliating.'" ( )
  librarianarpita | Feb 21, 2013 |
In this third part of the Maureen O'Donnell trilogy, Maureen is dealing with having to testify against her boyfriend's murderer (see part one of the trilogy, Garnethill), a murder which leads to a prostitution ring, as well as her abusive father's return to Glasgow. As in the other parts of the trilogy, we are treated some crazy family issues and to a lot of binge drinking. I have enjoyed reading these stories, but I still cannot emphasize with Maureen - she tells the story well, however, and Mina's descriptions of time and place are as impeccable as ever, so I enjoyed this resolution to the bleak tale of life in Maureen O'Donnell's Glasgow, even though the ending is (SPOILER ALERT!) a little too fairy-tale for my taste and, considering what has gone before, somewhat unlikely, almost as if Mina wanted to make it up to Maureen for all the terrible things she has been put through. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 23, 2011 |

Loubet, PascalTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snel, MariëllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unnerstad, BoelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A New York Times Notable Book of the Year

"Resolution can stand alone, battered and proud, as a class-conscious crime novel that dares to tell the ugly truth." -New York Times Book Review

Just as Maureen O'Donnell is struggling to give up drinking, she faces her most formidable challenges yet: testifying against her boyfriend's murderer and the return of her abusive father. Irresistibly blending suspense, compassion, raw instinct, and grim wit, Resolution provides a wrenching conclusion to Denise Mina's universally acclaimed Garnethill trilogy.

"For anyone who thinks Western civilization too comfortable or crime novels no more than entertainment, Denise Mina's Garnethill trilogy will come as a salutary surprise. It will also make them laugh and keep them reading. It is a great achievement." -Times Literary Supplement

"If you want a reason to try the crime genre, get yourself a novel by Denise Mina." -Rocky Mountain News

"Mina depicts a Scotland so hard that merely living there can cut you like a shard of glass." -Baltimore Sun

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:13 -0400)

Maureen O'Donnell is facing the darkest episode of her life. She owes more than she makes in a year in back taxes; Angus Farrell, the psychologist who murdered her boyfriend, is up for trial; and her abusive father has arrived back in Glasgow. On top of it all, she has become embroiled in someone else's family feud. Ella McGee, an elderly stall holder at the fleamarket where Maureen is selling illegally imported cigarettes, is bringing a case against her son in the small claims court. When Ella dies in hospital after a brutal beating, Maureen finds herself becoming involved. Soon she too is under threat--and this time she has very few protectors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,464,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible