A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

A Raisin in the Sun (1959)

by Lorraine Hansberry

English (42)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
The characters in the story were very unique and were very significant to the story. The story wasn't very captivating and didn't fit my style. ( )
  JordanTom_ | Sep 8, 2015 |
  OberlinSWAP | Jul 20, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 4, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed Raisin in the Sun to an extent, the story was good and it had an okay ending, but the characters had the same dimensions, Hansberry could of took the story further and made the characters more complex. It was well written and makes good points about that time era and how blacks were treated and how they worked with it so it's worth reading. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |

Hansberry, Lorraineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, OssieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dee, RubyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gresham, JoiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kutsch, ArthurEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nemiroff, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What happens to a dream deferred?/Does it dry up/ Like a raisin in the sun?/Or fester like a sore-/ And then run?/ Does it stink like rotten meat/ Or crust and sugar over-/Like a syrupy sweet?/ Maybe it just sags/ Like a heavy load/ Or does it explode?
To Mama: In gratitude for the dream
The Younger living room would be a comfortable and well-ordered room if it were not for a number of indestructible contradictions to this state of being.
And we have decided to move into our hous- because my father -my father-he earned it for us brick by brick . . . we don't want to make no trouble for nobody or fight no causes, and we will try to be good neighbors. And that's all we got to say about that. . . . We don't want your money.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679755330, Mass Market Paperback)

This groundbreaking play starred Sidney Poitier, Claudia McNeill, Ruby Dee and Diana Sands in the Broadway production which opened in 1959. Set on Chicago's South Side, the plot revolves around the divergent dreams and conflicts within three generations of the Younger family: son Walter Lee, his wife Ruth, his sister Beneatha, his son Travis and matriarch Lena, called Mama. When her deceased husband's insurance money comes through, Mama dreams of moving to a new home and a better neighborhood in Chicago. Walter Lee, a chauffeur, has other plans, however: buying a liquor store and being his own man. Beneatha dreams of medical school.

The tensions and prejudice they face form this seminal American drama. Sacrifice, trust and love among the Younger family and their heroic struggle to retain dignity in a harsh and changing world is a searing and timeless document of hope and inspiration. Winner of the NY Drama Critic's Award as Best Play of the Year, it has been hailed as a "pivotal play in the history of the American Black theatre." by Newsweek and "a milestone in the American Theatre." by Ebony.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

When it was first produced in 1959, A Raisin in the Sun was awarded the New York Drama Critics Circle Award for that season and hailed as a watershed in American drama. A pioneering work by an African-American playwright, the play was a radically new representation of black life. "A play that changed American theater forever."… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible