An American Tragedy (Signet Classics) by…

An American Tragedy (Signet Classics) (original 1925; edition 2000)

by Theodore Dreiser, Richard Lingeman (Introduction)

Member:fuzzy_patters
Title:An American Tragedy (Signet Classics)
Authors:Theodore Dreiser
Other authors:Richard Lingeman (Introduction)
Info:Signet Classics (2000), Edition: X, Mass Market Paperback, 880 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:novel, murder, rags to riches, American dream, psychological

An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (1925)

English (28)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (29)
3 stars for the book & 4 stars for the audiobook. Dan John Miller did a fantastic job with the narration - one of the best I have ever listened to!

As for the book, I was planning on giving it 4 stars until about 2/3 through (about when the trial started). My interest started flagging and the last third of the book dragged for me. Unfortunately a third of this book is about 280 pages (as long as some full novels!). Perhaps when a little time has passed, I may revise my rating as the ending becomes more in proportion to the entire book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 3, 2014 |
I'm sort of in two minds about this book myself. While it is a tragedy in the traditional sense, it does not really stand up to the great tragedies of Shakespeare, Marlowe, and the Greeks. The story is about the downfall of the main character, who is a tragic hero in all senses of the word, but it does not have the intricate and complicated plot that the tragedies of Hamlet and King Lear have, nor is the character of Clyde torn and haunted in the same way as Macbeth and Dr Faustus. Further, while in a sense we do see Clyde being driven by forces to an extent beyond his control, he downfall is not marked out by fate in the same way as King Oedipus.
The story involve the child of a missionary couple in 1920s America. While America of that era can be reflected in America of other eras, the 1920s do stand out much more than say the other periods of prosperity such as the 50s or even then 90s and early 2000s. In a way the 20s was seen as a time when America was still on the rise, and the opportunities were still open to almost everyone. The ethic of getting a job on the ground floor and then rising through the ranks was seen as being available to anybody. While this was also true in the 50s and the 90s, the fifties seem to reflect a time when America was at its peak, and opportunities were open to all, while by the 90s many of these doors had decisively slammed shut.
Another aspect of the 20s, which is reflected in this novel, is the aspect of how people are driven by their desire to succeed, but behind this drive there is still a strong sense of morality. This was still there in the 50s, but had decisively vanished by the 90s. What we have in An American Tragedy is young Clyde getting his first job as a bellhop, but while working at the hotel, he falls in with the other bellhops, and the desire to succeed is balanced out by the desire to have fun, and through this he falls into alcohol and prostitution (both of which were illegal in the United States at this time). Unfortunately tragedy strikes (and though he is not the instigator of this tragedy, he is complicit in it in that he is a passenger in the stolen vehicle, and flees shortly afterwards) and thus his desire to rise to the top is cut short by this misdemeanor.
Clyde, however, gets a second chance. This is another theme that is supposed to reflect the difference between the United States and the old world of Europe, and that is the possibility for a second chance. Once again, this has vanished by the 90s, with not so much the rise in the crime rate, but rather once one becomes such a statistic (at least at street level) ones opportunity to participate in society is brought to an end. As people suggest, soon the population of the United States is either going to be in prison, or working for the prison system. With the rise of computers and information systems, it is much easier to keep track of people, and their records, than it was back in the 20s, or even in the 50s. It should not be surprising that the rise in the crime rate is not only reflective of population growth, but also of systems of collecting and storing information.
However, I should come to the main part of the story, and that is the events in Lycurgus. Clyde arrives at this small, upstate New York town where a distant uncle owns and operates a factory. Clyde is given a job in the factory, and even raised to a senior position, however once again we see him torn between his desire to live the high life and his inner lusts. Inevitably he gives into his lust and forms a relationship with one of his employees, something that is forbidden in the factory. This becomes even more complicated when it turns out that the woman that he is sleeping with becomes pregnant. Now, ironically, most of the upper echelons of society would easily be able to get out of this situation, but Clyde is not there yet (even though he is associating with his Uncle's friends) and decides to take the easy way out: kill her. Unfortunately, the easy way out is not necessarily the best way out and he is caught and executed.
Simply put, Clyde is the harbinger of his fate. His lusts get the better of him and when he finds himself in the mess he takes the easy way out. Despite all this, looking over the characters of this book, and the events, it does not draw me in as the great tragedies do. It is one of those painful and annoying books where you see where the main character is heading, but unlike a true tragic hero, you do not sympathise with him. In the same way that we see Macbeth, we see Clyde as being somebody fully responsible for his actions and deserving of the consequences. However, because we have been drawn into Clydes' life, we do not want to see anything bad happen to him, we want to see him succeed, however this is not going to happen. Is it a warning? Possibly, but in another sense many of us read as a form of escapism, to for a time be something that we are not, but one thing we do not want to be is a failure, which in the end is what Clyde becomes. I guess the other irritating thing is that many of the upper echelon behave like Clyde, but get away with it. It is only because Clyde doesn't have the connections, and can easily be cut lose, that he meets the fate that he does. At least, in the end, acknowledges his sin and seeks forgiveness. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 14, 2014 |
Open this book to the very first page and get swallowed up in the drama of Clyde Girffiths. You’ll immediately meet Clyde as a young boy being forcibly dragged through the streets of Kansas City with his drifting homeless parents who are committed to a lifetime of pedaling religion and spreading the word of God. A random bystander observes, “the boy don’t want to be here. He feels outa place. I can see that. It ain’t right to make a kid like that come out unless he wants to.” (Pg. 7)

Even at age, 12 Clyde knew he was destined for better things. Not that he didn’t believe in God. He just didn’t appreciate the lofty spiritual “nonsense”. He wanted a better life of earthly things: beautiful surroundings, physical comfort, love, money, prestige, respect... and to be somewhere far away from his destitute parents.

Thus begins the journey of Clyde Griffins, and you - the reader - are along for the ride... transported back to the 1920‘s amidst the awakening desire for upward mobility and the onset of materialism. Yet there were few opportunities to break the social and economical barriers in a stringent cultural environment where “good name” and “old money” were the primary criteria for success. And you can guess from the title that it will be a tragic journey. This 934 page tome was originally published in 1925 in 2 volumes. It could easily have been a trilogy.

Part One: an immature boy’s struggle to escape his poor humble upbringing. He leaves home drifting across the Untied States in search of a good job - ashamed and repelled by his parents lifestyle.

Part Two: Through some clever and imaginative insight, hard work, and a little luck, he finally secures a good job at his wealthy uncle’s collar factory in New York where - despite company regulation - he gets involved with an attractive factory worker and ultimately ends up being accused of her murder.

Part Three: the trial and verdict.

"An American Tragedy" lives up to it’s standing as Number 16 on the list of Modern Library’s greatest novels on many levels. Despite Dreiser’s minimal education and the excessive complaints over the past 89 years of the books boring habit of rehashing the facts over, and over, and over - he cleverly created a masterpiece. In fact, the repetitive detailing and rumination enhance Clyde’s persona and his approaching doom.

Based on a true story - the scandalous murder trial of Chester Ellsworth Gillette - Dreiser tells this fictional tale from the unique perspective of having intimate knowledge of the accused’s life, his actions, his thoughts and his prayers. Imbued with realism, nothing is withheld.

Like watching a train wreck getting ready to happen, you can’t stop the developing plot. All you can do is hold your breath and wait for the fatal crash. Clyde, with his uneducated, miserly beginnings and his gradual, naive rise to a happy, prosperous, glamorous “too good to be true” future, paralleled by a slow diabolical descent to sordid ruin.

The character development is genius. Dreiser cleverly paints Clyde as a sympathetic character. He is innocent and child-like, sensitive, ambitious, humble, polite, charming, romantic, handsome, and easygoing.

And the women in his life?

Clyde’s mother - the religious do-gooder who can be praised for her Jesus-like compassion and tolerance - cannot be admired for her neglect in parenting. And really, doesn’t charity begin at home?

Sondra is the spoiled rich debutante who lures Clyde into the upper stratus of society as a practical joke, and Roberta, the factory worker who is deliberately kept from the reader at a veiled distance to be revealed ultimately as a desperate demanding nag.

You can’t help but empathize with Clyde. There-in lies the genius of "An American Tragedy", because at the end you can’t decide if Clyde is immoral or amoral... making the story an American tragedy, indeed.

Note: I don’t think Dreiser achieved his goal of demonstrating his generalized communist dogma that it is money and ambition that corrupt the morals of society, so it is better to do without... a philosophy that most Americans, I believe, would likely find absurd. ( )
  LadyLo | Jan 13, 2014 |
[SPOILERS] On June 15, 1949. I said of this book: "It is prosaic, and the things about it that made it much discussed 25 years ago are now no longer so discussion-provoking." On June 18 I said: "Claude Griffiths has killed his old girl and is on trial now. The legal aspects of the story are interesting, and a person can't help but be for him, even though he practically killed her. Don't quite see how I can be for him so, since he's no good. Story is very 1910ish, even drug for awhile, going into great detail. It seems such kiddish writing in that it describes the obvious so non-subtlely, and of course it is the perfect example of the omnipresent author--I never was so aware of this in other books." On June 19 I said: "He was convicted and after that, though the book drug on dully for pages and pages, you knew how it would all come out. He was electrocuted. Stupid, stupid, abd few relieving features." ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | May 26, 2013 |
Despite its length, this novel captures the attention from beginning to end. The impetuous, sometimes melodramatic, style keeps the reader turning the pages: good time entertainment to be sure! This book, however, is much more. While it could have easily been a soap opera by modern standards, Dreiser's messages on social struggles and discrepancies, religion and the justice system makes this novel a powerful critique which gives it its timelessness. I found that the entire trial was extremely modern in content and form, and I was actually surprised to see such an overt and compelling argument against the death penalty (maybe it's just my reading). This is definitely an example of pathos well rendered, an attempt at showing the emotions behind the bars as opposed to the judgement and righteousness of institutions.
Overall, I found that this book is still relevant both as a literary enjoyment and as a piece of social criticism for issues that are still on-going today. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Apr 29, 2013 |

Theodore Dreiserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kazin, AlfredIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werumeus Buning, J.W.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Dusk - of a summer night.
"Tragic America" and "An American Tragedy" are not the same book. Do not combine them.

Please do not list this book as part of a series. The LT instructions state: Also avoid publisher series, unless the publisher has a true monopoly over the "works" in question. So, the Dummies guides are a series of works. But the Loeb Classical Library is a series of editions, not of works. This also applies to Library of America, Harvard Classics, etc. etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527704, Mass Market Paperback)

Theodore Dreiser set out to create an epic character and, in the form of Clyde Griffiths in An American Tragedy, he succeeded. Griffiths is just a Midwest kid, the son of a preacher in Kansas City, who tastes a little sophistication and then hits the road seeking pleasure and success. He has his moments, conducting more than one romantic affair, until that ill-advised pursuit ensnares him. Then he reads about an "accident" of a young woman and ponders a dastardly deed ... Dreiser spins these scenes with the eye of a master in control of his form. An American Tragedy stands as an American masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:13 -0400)

The author's classic vision of the dark side of American life looks at the failings of the American dream, in the story of the rise and fall of Clyde Griffiths, who sacrifices everything in his desperate quest for success.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible