InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

InterWorld (2007)

by Neil Gaiman, Michael Reaves

Series: InterWorld (Book 1)

1,746884,044 (3.45)1 / 116
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (espertus)
    espertus: A richer trilogy about teenagers influencing the course of alternate universes.
    Jumper by Steven Gould (TomWaitsTables)
    Alex Unlimited Volume 1: The Vosarak Code by Dan Jolley (lampbane)
    lampbane: Similar premise to InterWorld, but unique in its own way, especially with a fun James Bond-esque outlandishness. First part of an ongoing series, which is good, because it hasn't been said if there will be more InterWorld books yet.
    Planesrunner by Ian McDonald (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More YA multiverse-traveling sci-fi.
    Time for the Stars by Robert A. Heinlein (espertus)
    espertus: InterWorld reminded me of Robert Heinlein's juveniles, most of which I thought superior to InterWorld. Time for the Stars also features a teen who discovers he has special powers and has a twin.
    Living Hell by Catherine Jinks (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both awesome YA sci-fi novels.
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting science fiction work dealing with multiple realities and geared toward a younger audience.

English (86)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (89)
In many ways, this is your standard "ordinary kid discovers other world in which s/he is totally special and goes on adventures" story. Joey Harker has no sense of direction but discovers that he can travel across dimensions, which turns out to be very important in the ongoing interdimensional war that most people know nothing about. Luckily, this one isn't entirely run-of-the-mill. In many ways it feels like Gaiman created the world and Reaves (whom I admit I had never read before this) wrote the story. The narration is definitely un-Gaiman, but not in a bad way. The concepts of alternate dimensions, where the human race has evolved differently in different universes, is neat. I'm curious to see where the sequel goes with it. ( )
  melydia | Aug 18, 2015 |
Exciting parallel worlds and people in a continuum that goes from magic to science. Joey Harker is not the klutz most people take him for and actually has the ability to save the world(s). His parents are also not the clueless adults that sometimes appear in young adult fiction. Friendship and kindness are important tools. So a nice story, well-written. An afterword explains that the authors were trying to promote a TV series and thought explaining their idea via a novel might work better than their in-person pitch. They concluded that TV execs don't read. It could make a good series.
  raizel | Jun 28, 2015 |

[Reseña pendiente]

Pre-reseña: (Muy entretenido! (Aunque, dado el genero, escrito como si lo hiciera un chico de 14 años. Pero hasta eso lo hace mas gracioso aun) ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I tend to love most of what Gaiman writes, but this one fell a bit flat for me. The concept is fascinating, but the execution was a bit off. The adventure story follows Joseph, a normal boy who walks straight into another world.

He discovers and entire army of different versions of himself from other worlds. There’s Jerzy: from a world with feathers where women lay eggs, Josef: who is really strong, Jai: who meditates and has a huge vocabulary, Jakon: a wolf girl, Jo: a girl with wings, and J’r’ohoho: a centaur.

The army trains at a boot camp run by the “old man”. Their goal is to, “Protect the Altiverse and stem the tides of magic and science.” That’s a heavy order for the newly inducted Joseph to wrap his head around.

There are two different groups of bad guys. The Binary, who travel on gravitons, freeze the walkers to use them to fuel their ships. Then there are the HEX folk. They use magic to boil walkers and use their souls to power interplane travel. Both sets of villains were a bit cartoonish. In a lot of ways, this novel reminded me of the Percy Jackson series.

BOTTOM LINE: At times there was just too much going on at once. We bounced back and forth so quickly that it was hard to feel attached to the characters. Apparently it started out as an idea for a TV show and I was left wondering if that might have been a better fit for this particular story. I do think this might be a perfect fit for teenage boys.

“I wanted to spare her what I knew: that reality can splinter like a hammered mirror. That it can happen to anybody.”

“Sometimes war is necessary to teach us the value of peace.” ( )
  bookworm12 | May 12, 2015 |
The first third was desperately boring. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't "slow" to start or anything, it's just there was so much background knowledge required to understand the Interworld and multi-verse that at first it was like listening to gibberish with an uninteresting protagonist. It took Joey (the protagonist) quite a while to develop into a moderately compelling character (IMO). It ended very well and I wouldn't be adverse to a sequel - although it ended in such a way that a sequel might actually detract from the story.

edit: Oh look, it's a trilogy. Hmmm...maybe next year :) ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 12, 2015 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reaves, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neil would like to dedicate this book to his son Mike, who read the manuscript and liked it and encouraged us, and always asked when he was going to be able to read it in a real book.
Michael would like to dedicate this book to Steve Saffel.
Once I got lost in my own house.

Joey Harker isn't a hero.

In fact, he's the kind of guy who gets lost in his own house.

But then one day, Joey gets really lost. He walks straight out of his world and into another dimension.

Joey's walk between the worlds makes him prey to two terrible forces—armies of magic and science who will do anything to harness his power to travel between dimensions.

When he sees the evil those forces are capable of, Joey makes the only possible choice: to join an army of his own, an army of versions of himself from different dimensions who all share his amazing power and who are all determined to fight to save the worlds.

Master storyteller Neil Gaiman and Emmy Award-winning science-fiction writer Michael Reaves team up to create a dazzling tale of magic, science, honor, and the destiny of one very special boy—and all the others like him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

At nearly fifteen years of age, Joey Harker learns that he is a Walker, able to travel between dimensions, and soon joins a team of different versions of himself, each from another dimension, to fight the evil forces striving to conquer all the worlds.… (more)

279 wanted6 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,026,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible