InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

InterWorld (2007)

by Neil Gaiman, Michael Reaves

Series: InterWorld (Book 1)

1,715844,141 (3.45)1 / 111
Recently added bymomnrod, paige.alden, simd, private library, etborg, KiCollins, keebrook, Skelde, Estrellita228, alo1224
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (espertus)
    espertus: A richer trilogy about teenagers influencing the course of alternate universes.
    Jumper by Steven Gould (one-horse.library)
    Alex Unlimited Volume 1: The Vosarak Code by Dan Jolley (lampbane)
    lampbane: Similar premise to InterWorld, but unique in its own way, especially with a fun James Bond-esque outlandishness. First part of an ongoing series, which is good, because it hasn't been said if there will be more InterWorld books yet.
    Planesrunner by Ian McDonald (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More YA multiverse-traveling sci-fi.
    Time for the Stars by Robert A. Heinlein (espertus)
    espertus: InterWorld reminded me of Robert Heinlein's juveniles, most of which I thought superior to InterWorld. Time for the Stars also features a teen who discovers he has special powers and has a twin.
    Living Hell by Catherine Jinks (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both awesome YA sci-fi novels.
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting science fiction work dealing with multiple realities and geared toward a younger audience.

English (82)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (85)
The first third was desperately boring. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't "slow" to start or anything, it's just there was so much background knowledge required to understand the Interworld and multi-verse that at first it was like listening to gibberish with an uninteresting protagonist. It took Joey (the protagonist) quite a while to develop into a moderately compelling character (IMO). It ended very well and I wouldn't be adverse to a sequel - although it ended in such a way that a sequel might actually detract from the story.

edit: Oh look, it's a trilogy. Hmmm...maybe next year :) ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 12, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I really felt connected to the main character and his initial confusion. I love how Gaiman showed Joey's growth from normal teenager to interdimensional super hero. I've read some of the other reviews that stated this book wasn't very good, but it's important to remember that this story wasn't initially intended to be a book. It was intended to be a television series, and I really wish it had made it as one. This book is meant to present a premise for an extended series of events. I would love to see more of the different Joey Harkers from different dimensions, and I would love to see him take his predecessor's place as a searcher for other Walkers.

This book was awesome! ( )
  rjc146 | Jan 23, 2015 |
Based on the multi-world idea that every decision creates a new, parallel universe for each possible outcome of that decision, the IntraWorld is an organization that sort-of polices those world. Except that not every decision creates a new universe/world, just the important ones, and IntraWorld only concerns itself with those that contain an Earth. Those worlds exist along a spectrum where magic reigns supreme at one extreme and science at the other, conveniently ignoring the changing laws of physics along the way.

The IntraWorld organization itself is made up exclusively of Joe Harkers from some, but not all of those worlds. Apparently Joe or Joey or Jerzy or J/O or other variations on the name are the only people in all of the millions on those infinity of worlds that can travel between them. Except for the evil magicians and technologists from either extreme that capture and kill Joe Harkers to power their cross-continuum conquests.

If you ignore all of the holes in the world building and story telling it's not a bad young adult adventure story. But it is also clearly not a Neil Gaiman story, or even something he was a 50% contributor to. But his name is going to sell a lot more copies than Michael Reaves, so he's got top billing. ( )
  grizzly.anderson | Nov 30, 2014 |
Ho letto certamente di meglio anche se si tratta comunque di un buon libro... ( )
  Iacopo.Venni | Nov 14, 2014 |
The little explanation at the back sums it up: this was really meant to be the two-hour pilot to a TV show that they could never convince anyone to make. It reads like the novelization of the two-hour pilot to a TV show. I think I'd enjoy the show; the book is a little odd. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Oct 24, 2014 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reaves, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neil would like to dedicate this book to his son Mike, who read the manuscript and liked it and encouraged us, and always asked when he was going to be able to read it in a real book.
Michael would like to dedicate this book to Steve Saffel.
Once I got lost in my own house.

Joey Harker isn't a hero.

In fact, he's the kind of guy who gets lost in his own house.

But then one day, Joey gets really lost. He walks straight out of his world and into another dimension.

Joey's walk between the worlds makes him prey to two terrible forces—armies of magic and science who will do anything to harness his power to travel between dimensions.

When he sees the evil those forces are capable of, Joey makes the only possible choice: to join an army of his own, an army of versions of himself from different dimensions who all share his amazing power and who are all determined to fight to save the worlds.

Master storyteller Neil Gaiman and Emmy Award-winning science-fiction writer Michael Reaves team up to create a dazzling tale of magic, science, honor, and the destiny of one very special boy—and all the others like him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:37 -0400)

At nearly fifteen years of age, Joey Harker learns that he is a Walker, able to travel between dimensions, and soon joins a team of different versions of himself, each from another dimension, to fight the evil forces striving to conquer all the worlds.… (more)

282 wanted6 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,298,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible