InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

InterWorld (2007)

by Neil Gaiman, Michael Reaves

Series: InterWorld (Book 1)

1,695814,207 (3.44)1 / 111
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (espertus)
    espertus: A richer trilogy about teenagers influencing the course of alternate universes.
    Jumper by Steven Gould (one-horse.library)
    Alex Unlimited Volume 1: The Vosarak Code by Dan Jolley (lampbane)
    lampbane: Similar premise to InterWorld, but unique in its own way, especially with a fun James Bond-esque outlandishness. First part of an ongoing series, which is good, because it hasn't been said if there will be more InterWorld books yet.
    Planesrunner by Ian McDonald (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More YA multiverse-traveling sci-fi.
    Time for the Stars by Robert A. Heinlein (espertus)
    espertus: InterWorld reminded me of Robert Heinlein's juveniles, most of which I thought superior to InterWorld. Time for the Stars also features a teen who discovers he has special powers and has a twin.
    Living Hell by Catherine Jinks (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both awesome YA sci-fi novels.
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting science fiction work dealing with multiple realities and geared toward a younger audience.

English (79)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (82)
The little explanation at the back sums it up: this was really meant to be the two-hour pilot to a TV show that they could never convince anyone to make. It reads like the novelization of the two-hour pilot to a TV show. I think I'd enjoy the show; the book is a little odd. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Oct 24, 2014 |
Full review: http://tenaciousreader.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/869/

Recent audiobook with my kids age 9 & 11. My more critical child, the 9 year old, loved it and gave it a 4.5, my 11 year old gave it a 5. ( )
  tenaciousreader | May 24, 2014 |
Joey Harker is the kind of person who has gotten lost in his own house. One day, he gets so lost, he steps into a parallel world. This is just the beginning of Joey's problems as he discovers that, not only is there a multiverse, but a great war between the forces of Science and Magic trying to control all the worlds within it.

Reading this, I felt it seemed more aimed towards a television audience, the presence of Michael Reaves as co-writer strengthening that feeling. So upon reading the afterword and finding out that's exactly where this story started, I appreciated it all the more. It's understandable that executives in the 90s had a hard time grasping the concept (even though Reaves easily could have said "It's Sliders with a healthy dose of Ender's Game and fantasy elements"), but I'm glad Gaiman and Reaves eventually got this story out. It's a blast! I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much is that it reminds me so much of the cartoons I grew up loving, but if they were given to much better writers (or at least weren't butchered of any redeeming qualities by the toy executives in charge of the action figure line and arguing that "kids won't understand the grander ideas, so let's simplify it to mush").

And, it opens up the potential for so much more. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 13, 2014 |
Decent young adult novel. I read it because I crave simplistic uncomplicated stories right now. Felt a little like Ender's Game from what I've actually read of Ender's Game.

Like I said, decent, but it's no Harry Potter. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Meh. I suppose for the age group it's written for it's an interesting story. However, it's not up to the usual Gaiman par. Maybe I'll have my daughter read it and see what she thinks. ( )
  davepdavis | Jan 23, 2014 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reaves, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neil would like to dedicate this book to his son Mike, who read the manuscript and liked it and encouraged us, and always asked when he was going to be able to read it in a real book.
Michael would like to dedicate this book to Steve Saffel.
Once I got lost in my own house.

Joey Harker isn't a hero.

In fact, he's the kind of guy who gets lost in his own house.

But then one day, Joey gets really lost. He walks straight out of his world and into another dimension.

Joey's walk between the worlds makes him prey to two terrible forces—armies of magic and science who will do anything to harness his power to travel between dimensions.

When he sees the evil those forces are capable of, Joey makes the only possible choice: to join an army of his own, an army of versions of himself from different dimensions who all share his amazing power and who are all determined to fight to save the worlds.

Master storyteller Neil Gaiman and Emmy Award-winning science-fiction writer Michael Reaves team up to create a dazzling tale of magic, science, honor, and the destiny of one very special boy—and all the others like him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:37 -0400)

At nearly fifteen years of age, Joey Harker learns that he is a Walker, able to travel between dimensions, and soon joins a team of different versions of himself, each from another dimension, to fight the evil forces striving to conquer all the worlds.… (more)

282 wanted6 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,507,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible