The Master Bedroom by Tessa Hadley

The Master Bedroom (2007)

by Tessa Hadley

I picked this off my shelf randomly, and was so happy to find the story to be set in Wales. I am heading there next month and I didn't realize how much of my TBR shelves reflected that upcoming trick.

A thoughtful story about the tangle of relationships in middle age; be those with friends, lovers, parents or memories of the past. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jul 7, 2012 |
Horrible: I just finished this jumbled novel. I don't know why, because at page 100, I wanted to burn it. But, I kept telling myself it would get better. It didn't! Don't waste your money on this piece of fiction.
  lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
This is a dark, moody book. Kate, the main character, is spoiled, self-centered, shallow, and mean. David, another pivotal character, is uptight and also selfish in his own way. Jamie, David's 17-year-old son, has a big role in the book and also does some questionable things, but he at least has the excuse of having a mother who committed suicide and his age. So why did I give it 4 1/2 stars? The storyline itself was compelling, and it was like watching a car accident in slow motion. You want to look away because you know things are going to end badly, but you just can't. The ending is good. Most of the loose ends are tied up but not too tightly to make it unrealistic. ( )
  CatieN | Jul 10, 2010 |
On the downside, I didnt really like any of the characters in this contemporary study of post-feminist angst in London. The main character is selfish and narcisstic and way too cavalier with the feelings of others. And the other characters all seem a bit two-dimensional and also flawed in their own unique and not particularly appealing ways. However, the author does ascuh an exceptional job of setting up the social train wreck of her life as the bad choices multiply that I found it to be an irresistable page turner--especially after the main plot is established. ( )
  Gary10 | Jan 8, 2010 |
To Shelagh
It was a sign.

A single woman at loose ends becomes the object of two men's affections--a father and his teenage son--in this sly, richly drawn novel

After more than twenty years in London, Kate Flynn has returned to her family home in Wales to care for her aging mother. Having cast off her academic career, she is unmoored, and when she runs into a childhood friend, David Roberts, at a concert, she finds herself falling for him, although she knows she's grasping at anything to fill the sudden emptiness of her life.

For his part, David's marriage isn't as solid as it looks--his wife, Suzie, has begun acting strangely, moving out of their bedroom, neglecting their children, and disappearing for days at a time--and he begins to seek refuge with Kate from the newfound chaos of his life.

David's seventeen-year-old son, Jamie, is also drawn to Kate's eccentricity and her strange, glamorous old house full of books and music and history. As both father and son set about their parallel courtships, Tessa Hadley's intricate, graceful novel explores the tangled web of connections between parents and children, revealing how each generation replays the stories of the one that came before, in new and sometimes startling patterns.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:06 -0400)

"Kate Flynn has returned to her hometown in Wales to care for her aging mother. Having cast off her academic career, she is suddenly unmoored, and when she runs into a childhood friend, David Roberts, at a concert, she quickly finds herself falling for him, although she knows she's grasping at anything to fill the sudden emptiness of her life." "For his part, David's marriage isn't as solid as it looks - his wife, Suzie, has begun acting strangely, moving out of their bedroom, neglecting their children, and disappearing for days at a time - and he begins to seek refuge with Kate from the newfound chaos of his life." "David's seventeen-year-old son, Jamie, is also drawn to Kate's eccentricity and her strange, glamorous old house full of books and music and history, As both father and son set about their parallel courtships, Tessa Hadley's novel explores the tangled web of connections between parents and children, revealing how each generation replays the stories of the one that came before, in new and sometimes startling patterns."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Master Bedroom by Tessa Hadley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible