The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy by Fiona…

The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy (edition 2008)

by Fiona Neill

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:chick lit

Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill

English (14)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (18)
Mostly light-hearted, mildly amusing in places. I liked Lucy, the main protagonist (and narrator). I would like to have seen more of her delightful children, and I appreciated the family background. I felt some nostalgia for the school playground gatherings of mothers, and could relate, somewhat, to the different styles of parenting (albeit somewhat caricatured in the book). I liked the ending, too.

However, the main protagonist has some irritating and promiscuous single friends who have far too big a part to play in the story, and who are not memorable or even distinguishable. Perhaps their excesses were supposed to be humorous - I hope they were not realistic! - but they just left me with a bad taste. The continual strong expletives were unnecessary too, and rather spoiled the otherwise excellent writing.

Full review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-secret-life-of-slummy-mummy-by.... ( )
  SueinCyprus | May 9, 2019 |
I do not read a lot of chic-lit, but this was the best one I've read! Fun and easy! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Gave up before p 50 - couldn't sympathize, much less empathize - not only shouldn't she have married her husband in the first place*, but she shouldn't have kids - she doesn't act like a grown-up. What she should do most of all is raise her kids to be more responsible - they should be helping with chores not expecting her servitude. And yes she should be able to recognize that one woman telling another a bunch of shoulds" sometimes is quite apt.

*Yes I know I've barely met Tom. Maybe she's just whining about his "flaws" (differences?) in the beginning and by the end she'll have learned her lesson and realized he's wonderful. If so, then she should've appreciated him all along.

And if she's a slow learner, and will mature and become more likable over the course of the book, I want some clue to that effect now, so I don't get to the end and find I still can't stand her.

Gee - quite a review for something I barely dipped into. Of course, others' reviews helped me decide to give up on it, and helped me see where it was going." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Satisfying breezy fun with a little more depth than most chick lit. This is more accurately "mummy lit" (because it's British), and those of us with kids can relate to some of this. It's not going to win any book awards, but it is a fun way to lay around on a Saturday and read. It is denser than Sophie Kinsella or Helen Fielding, but works to scratch the same itch in just a touch more highbrow fashion. ( )
  KatieTF | Nov 28, 2015 |
This was a fun book that would please fans of Bridgett Jones. Very british and vey funny.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |

For Lucy Sweeney, motherhood isn't all astanga classes and Cath Kidston prints. It's much more little dippers swimming club and baby-sick decor, and there's not a herbal tea in sight. Lucy is living in a state of permanent emergency, and the white lies to cover up the trail of slummy mummy destruction are escalating. Originally published: London: C.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible