Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell…

Lincoln: A Photobiography (1987)

by Russell Freedman

I really liked this book and found it to be much more meaningful than the traditional textbook that we used in high school. I enjoy reading biographies because they do present a wealth of information that is much more obtainable than the dry, boring list of facts given in history textbooks. In addition, the pictures in this book really added to the story and were worth looking at. However, I did have to work to focus my attention on the pictures since I tend to get so wrapped up in the text that I find that I ignore the pictures. I also find it interesting that my husband chose to read this book on his own, choosing this book over all of the other fiction novels we have read for this class. This illustrates a further need to incorporate non-fiction texts in the classroom since there are those (typically boys?) who would be more motivated to read this type of text.
  DTourtellot | Apr 11, 2018 |
I really enjoyed ready about Lincoln and how he became a president. This book describes Lincoln's early childhood on the frontier, his career as a lawyer, his rise in politics, and obstacles he faced a president. ( )
  jessica_haynes | Nov 7, 2016 |
There are always students looking for biographical information about Lincoln, and this is a winner. Informative and engaging text, so many photos and captions that really flesh out his life from his early home through the Civil War. I especially liked the letters and quotes included, I think this could be very powerful for students. Easily appropriate for ages 5 and up, becuase of all the photos and prints. ( )
  TLDennis | Jul 26, 2016 |
This biography is quite long, but I could see myself using pieces of it in a history class during a lesson on the civil war. This would be around sixth grade. I think this type of biography is good for group projects and timelines. ( )
  AmandaJH | Apr 12, 2016 |
This is a long book with over 160 pages that accounts for Lincoln's life. It goes from boyhood to is assassination. As this book is long, I would use short chapters out of this book for lessons. I really think this is great with all of the pictures and information which allows the reader to see what is really happening in their minds. Genre, Informational, as it is about President Abraham Lincoln . Media, Photographs mostly with a black and white representations. ( )
  robe0605 | Apr 12, 2016 |
Abraham Lincoln wasn't the sort of man who could lose himself in a crowd.
"In all my interviews with Mr. Lincoln," Douglass said later, "I was impressed with his entire freedom from popular prejudice against the colored race. He was the first great man that I talked with in the United States freely, who in no single instance reminded me of the difference between himself and myself, of the difference of color, and I thought that all more remarkable because he came from a state where there were black laws."
As president, he had been denounced, ridiculed, and damned by a legion of critics. When he saw an article that complimented him, he often kept it.

This book describes Lincoln's early childhood on the frontier, his career as a lawyer, his rise in politics, and obstacles he faced a president. Freedman provides many photographs and sketches to help readers better understand the historical context.
(Charles Duff Review below)

Lincoln: A Photobiography surely does seem to give an honest, factual representation of our 16th President.  Just as the author readily admits, Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression but found joy in humor.  The pictures seem to tell a story themselves.  The four comparative photographs of Lincoln in each of his four years of office show, “how the pressures and anxieties of the war became etched in his face.” (116)  This is an excellent resource for middle school children doing research on Lincoln.  It is also an excellent read for in general due to its fantastic collection of pictures.  To get excited, students and teachers alike should check out Steven Spielberg’s trailer for the upcoming film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbA...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395518482, Paperback)

This work is perhaps the most complete and enjoyable children's book ever written about one of the nation's most fascinating and important figures, Abraham Lincoln. Russell Freedman covers Lincoln's life and career in a balanced treatment that is enhanced by period photographs and drawings. The book won the Newbery Medal, the Jefferson Cup Award and the Golden Kite Honor Book Award, and earned a citation as School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

Photographs and text trace the life of the Civil War President.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible