Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin…

Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies) (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Russell Freedman

1,198346,687 (4.18)16
Member:JStewart13
Title:Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies)
Authors:Russell Freedman
Info:Sandpiper (1989), Paperback, 160 pages

Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (1987)

Recently added byprivate library, MontagueES, GSLSCOMO, eyelevelbooks, lundx037, bunnymom

Read my review of the audiobook version of this 1988 Newbery Medalist at http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2009/03/lincoln-photobiography-1988.html. It would be great to accompany the print book for a struggling reader.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
Summary of Book: This book is about our 16th President Abraham Lincoln. This book gives the reader an insight look on Lincoln's life growing up and after becoming President. This book contains many pictures which is great for younger readers to be able to see Lincoln as a young boy, and pictures through out the rest of Lincoln's life.

Personal Reaction: I found this book to be very informative. I liked how this book talked about how Lincoln struggled, which was nice to know he was just like everyone else. I also enjoyed looking at all the old photograph's of Lincoln.

Classroom Extension: 1) Have students make a time line of Abraham Lincoln's life.
2) Have students write a story about why people thought he may or may not have been a good President.
  ah932109 | Apr 11, 2015 |
Lincoln: A Photo biography is an in-depth look at the life of United States President Abraham Lincoln. The history laid out over the course of Lincoln's life is printed through type and picture in great detail in this book. This book is a non-fictional history book, and therefore used mostly for research purposes. Students might be required to write a paper specifically on the life of an important historical character. A child who chooses to write on Abraham Lincoln would find the presence of this book very useful in the classroom. sixth through twelfth grade would serve well for this book.
  LoganBerglund | Dec 6, 2014 |
(6.5)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Russell Freeman is a genius when it comes to photobiograghies. Lincoln is another one of his masterpieces. This high quality book illustrates Lincoln's life throughout his lifetime, beginning with how he was raised in Illinois and his life as a child, to his successful career as a lawyer, his courtship and subsequent marriage to Mary Todd, up through his contention for the presidency, the time of the Civil War, the time of his presidency and continuing on to his assassination. This book tells Lincoln’s life story in a very vivid way through utilizing 90 black and white photos and prints. The pictures really help to bring Lincoln to life and the stories hold students' interest due to their intriguing nature. This book would be appropriate for students as young as 5th grade to adult.
Also included in the book is a chapter called a Lincoln sampler. This chapter includes snippets from Lincoln’s speeches and letters to distinguished people. One of his quotes comes from a speech he presented in New Haven, Connecticut on March 6, 1860, “I am not ashamed to confess that twenty-five years ago I was a hired laborer, mauling rails, at work on a flatboat – just what might happen to any poor man’s son. I want every man to have a chance – and I believe a black man is entitled to it – in which he can better his condition.” ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
Abraham Lincoln wasn't the sort of man who could lose himself in a crowd.
"In all my interviews with Mr. Lincoln," Douglass said later, "I was impressed with his entire freedom from popular prejudice against the colored race. He was the first great man that I talked with in the United States freely, who in no single instance reminded me of the difference between himself and myself, of the difference of color, and I thought that all more remarkable because he came from a state where there were black laws."
As president, he had been denounced, ridiculed, and damned by a legion of critics. When he saw an article that complimented him, he often kept it.

This book describes Lincoln's early childhood on the frontier, his career as a lawyer, his rise in politics, and obstacles he faced a president. Freedman provides many photographs and sketches to help readers better understand the historical context.
(Charles Duff Review below)

Lincoln: A Photobiography surely does seem to give an honest, factual representation of our 16th President.  Just as the author readily admits, Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression but found joy in humor.  The pictures seem to tell a story themselves.  The four comparative photographs of Lincoln in each of his four years of office show, “how the pressures and anxieties of the war became etched in his face.” (116)  This is an excellent resource for middle school children doing research on Lincoln.  It is also an excellent read for in general due to its fantastic collection of pictures.  To get excited, students and teachers alike should check out Steven Spielberg’s trailer for the upcoming film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbA...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395518482, Paperback)

This work is perhaps the most complete and enjoyable children's book ever written about one of the nation's most fascinating and important figures, Abraham Lincoln. Russell Freedman covers Lincoln's life and career in a balanced treatment that is enhanced by period photographs and drawings. The book won the Newbery Medal, the Jefferson Cup Award and the Golden Kite Honor Book Award, and earned a citation as School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

Photographs and text trace the life of the Civil War President.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,912,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible