Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin…

Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies) (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Russell Freedman

Member:JStewart13
Title:Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies)
Authors:Russell Freedman
Info:Sandpiper (1989), Paperback, 160 pages

Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (1987)

This biography is quite long, but I could see myself using pieces of it in a history class during a lesson on the civil war. This would be around sixth grade. I think this type of biography is good for group projects and timelines. ( )
  AmandaJH | Apr 12, 2016 |
This is a long book with over 160 pages that accounts for Lincoln's life. It goes from boyhood to is assassination. As this book is long, I would use short chapters out of this book for lessons. I really think this is great with all of the pictures and information which allows the reader to see what is really happening in their minds. Genre, Informational, as it is about President Abraham Lincoln . Media, Photographs mostly with a black and white representations. ( )
  robe0605 | Apr 12, 2016 |
Lesson: What Does A Good Citizen Do?
  ccsdss | Feb 26, 2016 |
A good quick overview of Lincoln. Photo's are well picked. ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
Summary:
This book has all kinds of different pictures and drawings and tells a lot about how Lincoln was like as a person and not just a president.

Personal reaction:
I really like this book because I am a visual learner. So if i didn't know about Lincoln, it would be easier to be able to connect things with the photos and illustrations.

Classroom Extension:
-Students make their own short photo biography.
  Megan_Livsey | Nov 25, 2015 |
Abraham Lincoln wasn't the sort of man who could lose himself in a crowd.
"In all my interviews with Mr. Lincoln," Douglass said later, "I was impressed with his entire freedom from popular prejudice against the colored race. He was the first great man that I talked with in the United States freely, who in no single instance reminded me of the difference between himself and myself, of the difference of color, and I thought that all more remarkable because he came from a state where there were black laws."
As president, he had been denounced, ridiculed, and damned by a legion of critics. When he saw an article that complimented him, he often kept it.

This book describes Lincoln's early childhood on the frontier, his career as a lawyer, his rise in politics, and obstacles he faced a president. Freedman provides many photographs and sketches to help readers better understand the historical context.
(Charles Duff Review below)

Lincoln: A Photobiography surely does seem to give an honest, factual representation of our 16th President.  Just as the author readily admits, Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression but found joy in humor.  The pictures seem to tell a story themselves.  The four comparative photographs of Lincoln in each of his four years of office show, “how the pressures and anxieties of the war became etched in his face.” (116)  This is an excellent resource for middle school children doing research on Lincoln.  It is also an excellent read for in general due to its fantastic collection of pictures.  To get excited, students and teachers alike should check out Steven Spielberg’s trailer for the upcoming film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbA...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395518482, Paperback)

This work is perhaps the most complete and enjoyable children's book ever written about one of the nation's most fascinating and important figures, Abraham Lincoln. Russell Freedman covers Lincoln's life and career in a balanced treatment that is enhanced by period photographs and drawings. The book won the Newbery Medal, the Jefferson Cup Award and the Golden Kite Honor Book Award, and earned a citation as School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

Photographs and text trace the life of the Civil War President.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible