Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin…

Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies) (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Russell Freedman

Member:JStewart13
Title:Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies)
Authors:Russell Freedman
Info:Sandpiper (1989), Paperback, 160 pages

Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (1987)

Abraham Lincoln stood out in a crowd as much for his wit and rollicking humor as for his height. This Newbery Medal-winning biography of our Civil War president is warm, appealing, and illustrated with dozens of carefully chosen photographs and prints.

Russell Freedman begins with a lively account of Abraham Lincoln's boyhood, his career as a country lawyer, and his courtship and marriage to Mary Todd. Then the author focuses on the presidential years (1861 to 1865), skillfully explaining the many complex issues Lincoln grappled with as he led a deeply divided nation through the Civil War. The book's final chapter is a moving account of that tragic evening in Ford's Theater on April 14, 1865. Concludes with a sampling of Lincoln writings and a detailed list of Lincoln historical sites. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
Following the life of an American icon, this text tries to capture the image of the man that history has mostly glossed over. Sullen, morose, and a gifted speaker; Lincoln was more than what the history books depict but rather a real, breathing person with faults and incredible strengths. This book uses a rich selection of photographs, historical illustrations and cartoons, as well as letters and articles to show Lincoln for all that he truly was.

I found this book riveting and I learned so much about a figure everyone thinks they know. I had heard of his mercurial nature but it was fascinating to hear firsthand accounts and stories of his life as well as be drawn in by the wonderful assortment of images. Truly a treasure of American history. ( )
  abrial2433 | Mar 18, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading and looking at the illustrations of Abraham Lincoln through his childhood and Presidential career. I have not seen many illustrations or images of Abraham Lincoln as a child. The illustrations showed Lincoln as the tall figure I know him to be. From this text, I learned that Lincoln was a country lawyer. I did not know that Lincoln was a “prairie” lawyer who encountered any form of business that needed a lawyer. One characteristic of the text that I appreciated was how the text was able to skillfully explain the difficult task Lincoln had during the Civil War and the troubles that the country faced with a divided nation. I found the portion of the text that explained Lincolns path to President through being an active congressman. One aspect of Lincoln's career that I found interesting and motivational was that Lincoln “reinvented” the idea of republican values. Lincoln was able to use political rhetoric to redirect emphasis to the importance of the Declaration of Independence for the basis of American political values. Lastly, I feel that it was important to include the tragic assassination of Abraham Lincoln. The last chapter of the biography explains John Wilkes Booth assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. This was a major event in United States history because Lincoln was a symbol for change, equality and freedom. Overall, I enjoyed reading and assessing the illustrations in this book and was able to learn new factual information about President Abraham Lincoln. ( )
  NoahGray | Nov 25, 2013 |
The eBook version that I just read is fraught with punctuation, spelling, and other errors. Dred Scott is Died Scott three times on one page. I also noticed random capitalization that made no sense, and toward the end of the last chapter a sentence is not completed from one page to the next. I truly hope the print version is in much better shape for readers.

The book itself was very interesting and the quotes and photographs chosen complimented the text nicely. I also enjoyed the Lincoln Sampler (quotes from Lincoln) at the end, as well as the list of places to visit and other suggested books. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
This book was recommended by one of my grad. classes in multicultural children's literature. It is also on the reading list of a local prep school. Considering this one for 5th grade reading group. haven't read it yet.
  nmrepko | Sep 18, 2013 |
Abraham Lincoln wasn't the sort of man who could lose himself in a crowd.
"In all my interviews with Mr. Lincoln," Douglass said later, "I was impressed with his entire freedom from popular prejudice against the colored race. He was the first great man that I talked with in the United States freely, who in no single instance reminded me of the difference between himself and myself, of the difference of color, and I thought that all more remarkable because he came from a state where there were black laws."
As president, he had been denounced, ridiculed, and damned by a legion of critics. When he saw an article that complimented him, he often kept it.

This book describes Lincoln's early childhood on the frontier, his career as a lawyer, his rise in politics, and obstacles he faced a president. Freedman provides many photographs and sketches to help readers better understand the historical context.
(Charles Duff Review below)

Lincoln: A Photobiography surely does seem to give an honest, factual representation of our 16th President.  Just as the author readily admits, Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression but found joy in humor.  The pictures seem to tell a story themselves.  The four comparative photographs of Lincoln in each of his four years of office show, “how the pressures and anxieties of the war became etched in his face.” (116)  This is an excellent resource for middle school children doing research on Lincoln.  It is also an excellent read for in general due to its fantastic collection of pictures.  To get excited, students and teachers alike should check out Steven Spielberg’s trailer for the upcoming film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbA...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395518482, Paperback)

This work is perhaps the most complete and enjoyable children's book ever written about one of the nation's most fascinating and important figures, Abraham Lincoln. Russell Freedman covers Lincoln's life and career in a balanced treatment that is enhanced by period photographs and drawings. The book won the Newbery Medal, the Jefferson Cup Award and the Golden Kite Honor Book Award, and earned a citation as School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:56 -0400)

Photographs and text trace the life of the Civil War President.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible