Mountains Beyond Mountains: Healing the…

Mountains Beyond Mountains: Healing the World: The Quest of Dr. Paul… (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Tracy Kidder

Member:ellengryphon
Title:Mountains Beyond Mountains: Healing the World: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer
Authors:Tracy Kidder
Info:Random House (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:biography, Haiti, infectious diseases, Peru, social justice, poverty, AIDS, tb, medicine, public health, saintly docs

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (2003)

Recently added byWittyLiteraryRef, jdjdjd, jtodd1973, etbm2003, private library, Rem71090, bluet

If I was rating Paul Farmer, I'd give it 5 stars. The writing gets 3 stars because it didn't keep me engaged. I lost interest half way through and had to force myself to finish. ( )
  bethms | Jun 15, 2014 |
Dr. Paul Farmer is a man who has spent his adult life trying to bring better health care to poverty-stricken parts of the world, with most of his time spent in Haiti. Farmer's insistence on bringing quality care (not just "appropriate technology," which is shorthand for "inferior" or "whatever we can get away with") to places like Haiti, Peru, and the prisons of Russia is admirable. His relentless travel between countries as well as walking long distances to remote houses to see patients is hard to believe. How any human being could work so much, so consistently, under such difficult conditions, is nearly incomprehensible. His life consists of grant proposals, emails, seeing patients in developing countries, doing rotations in a US hospital, and lecturing at world health conferences. Hobbies? Not noticeably. Sleep? Not much. Personal life? During the time covered in the book, he does have a wife and child - who live in Paris.

Farmer's story is one of those that kind of run the risk of paralyzing would-be do-gooders instead of inspiring them. You hear his story and wonder how on earth you could possibly measure up, or wonder how altruistic you really are if you're not willing to sacrifice absolutely everything to make a difference. It seems from the book that Farmer realizes he is one in a million; he doesn't wonder why more people don't do as much as he does - he wonders why more people don't do *anything.* The author does a good job not being awestruck by Farmer; he doesn't canonize him. But Kidder does make it seem ridiculous that world health programs are so slow-moving, and don't work Farmer's way. I'm no expert on the issues, but I'm guessing that like with most things, the true best path lies somewhere in the middle. Or at least it does until each and every person in the world can be convinced to make their own small contribution. ( )
  ursula | May 9, 2014 |
A non fiction after a long time.
More of a set of memoirs from the author's time with the doctor.

Wonderful read. Puts everything that the doctor and his team did in perspective.
  maheswaranm | Mar 20, 2014 |
This is a powerful book with a fascinating real life main character - Dr. Paul Farmer. I struggled with it at times because Farmer's political views are so antithetical to my own. I admired his passion and persistance in the face of adversity and evil. However, I thought he shared the (in my view) common liberal misconception that evil is something government can cure and replace with Utopia and that evil in the world is usually the fault of the US.
Ultimately, Kidder presents Farmer for what he is - a passionate genius who is also a mere mortal - a flawed man who lives a life of contradictions.
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
compelling story of Paul Farmer's life and what he did to bring medical care to Haiti. He is a tireless & dedicated physician who has devoted his life to helping poor with diseases as AIDS and T.B. He used methods and techniques out of the usual box of medical care and bureaucracy to get things accomplished along with others like Ophelia Dahl. ( )
  suzabelle | Oct 4, 2013 |
''Mountains Beyond Mountains'' is inspiring, disturbing, daring and completely absorbing. It will rattle our complacency; it will prick our conscience.

Beyond mountains there are mountains.
--Haitian proverb

. . . And right action is freedom
From past and future also.
For most of us, this is the aim
Never here to be realized;
Who are only undefeated
Because we have gone on trying . . .
--T. S. Eliot
"The Dry Salvages"

For Henry and Tim Kidder
Six years after the fact, Dr. Paul Edward Farmer reminded me, "We met because of a beheading, of all things."

Tracy Kidder is a winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the author of the bestsellers The Soul of a New Machine, House, Among Schoolchildren, and Home Town. He has been described by the Baltimore Sun as the “master of the non-fiction narrative.” This powerful and inspiring new book shows how one person can make a difference, as Kidder tells the true story of a gifted man who is in love with the world and has set out to do all he can to cure it.

At the center of Mountains Beyond Mountains stands Paul Farmer. Doctor, Harvard professor, renowned infectious-disease specialist, anthropologist, the recipient of a MacArthur “genius” grant, world-class Robin Hood, Farmer was brought up in a bus and on a boat, and in medical school found his life’s calling: to diagnose and cure infectious diseases and to bring the lifesaving tools of modern medicine to those who need them most. This magnificent book shows how radical change can be fostered in situations that seem insurmountable, and it also shows how a meaningful life can be created, as Farmer—brilliant, charismatic, charming, both a leader in international health and a doctor who finds time to make house calls in Boston and the mountains of Haiti—blasts through convention to get results.

Mountains Beyond Mountains takes us from Harvard to Haiti, Peru, Cuba, and Russia as Farmer changes minds and practices through his dedication to the philosophy that "the only real nation is humanity" - a philosophy that is embodied in the small public charity he founded, Partners In Health. He enlists the help of the Gates Foundation, George Soros, the U.N.’s World Health Organization, and others in his quest to cure the world. At the heart of this book is the example of a life based on hope, and on an understanding of the truth of the Haitian proverb “Beyond mountains there are mountains”: as you solve one problem, another problem presents itself, and so you go on and try to solve that one too.

Mountains Beyond Mountains unfolds with the force of a gathering revelation,” says Annie Dillard, and Jonathan Harr says, “[Farmer] wants to change the world. Certainly this luminous and powerful book will change the way you see it.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A portrait of infectious disease expert Dr. Paul Farmer follows the efforts of this unconventional Harvard genius to understand the world's great health, economic, and social problems and to bring healing to humankind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,288,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible