Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

Inkdeath (2007)

by Cornelia Funke

Series: Inkheart Trilogy (3)

4,7201161,483 (3.94)141

English (102)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (116)
The final book in the trilogy. A lot of action and characters in jeopardy, and I didn't want it to end! Meggie has been through a lot in the Inkworld, as have her mother and father, and although I was disappointed in one tiny aspect of the book, in general I loved the way it ended and tied up all the loose ends. A great series about the love of books and the adventure they contain. I loved the concept of an author being IN his own book--is he able to still change the outcome of events and characters' lives, or does the book grow beyond his power? ( )
  GoldieBug | Mar 26, 2019 |
This is the third book in the Inkheart trilogy, featuring people who can read themselves and others into or out of books, including the fictional fantasy world of Inkheart.

It's an enjoyable series, overall, with the kind of writing that's primarily aimed at young people but is sophisticated enough to be satisfying for adults. It's all rather charmingly meta, not to mention carefully calculated to appeal to those of us with bookish souls. And it's a pretty good fantasy story, too. But... Well, it has one major flaw, and that's that it's too darned long, much longer that it really ought to be. This final volume is the worst offender on that score, at nearly 700 pages, leaving me far too often feeling torn between enjoying the story and running out of patience with it.

Rating: This is difficult, because there is definitely a four-star story here, but I feel like I'm just going to have to dock it half a star for dragging along too slowly. So, 3.5/5. ( )
  bragan | Jan 4, 2019 |
memory.they were all she had left. no more tangible than the pictures conjured up by books.

facing new dangers they had to reinvent their roles in a world that was not made for them and a world that ran astray from its predicted course. two worlds that were divided have intertwined and have greatly affected each other, not necessarily for the best.

the third and final installment of the trilogy does not fail to impress. Cornelia Funke, has once again drawn her readers into a fantastic world of imminence depth and colour to find it is not the one that we have heard of. a new shadow lurks over the land and a great adventure is in store. ( )
  dawbre42 | Sep 13, 2018 |
The first book in the trilogy, "Inkheart," stood well on its own. "Inkspell" and "Inkdeath" are really one book. I loved the "Inkheart." The next two, while very good, paled in comparison to the first.
I'm not sure why this is considered young adult literature. Meggie, the only young adult character, plays a decidedly minor role in the last installment. The book is long, and written at a higher reading level than YA literature generally is. There is violence and cruelty galore within the pages, much of it graphic. Personally, I would categorize the entire series as adult fantasy.
In the previous volume, Mo/Inkweaver/Bluejay (for most of the characters have multiple names) bound a magic book that made the evil Adderhead - ruler of the land - immortal, unless three special words were written on the blank pages of the book. However, he also poisoned the book, and as the book deteriorates, so will the Adderhead. Immortal - but sick and in constant pain forever.
In this volume, the Adderhead wants the Bluejay to fix the book, his daughter plots his downfall, Dustfinger is brought back to life, Mortola returns, Orpheus causes non-stop trouble.... Oh Lordy, the plot just goes on and on and on, far too complex to allow for a concise synopsis. The list of characters, both good and villainous, is so vast that a glossary of characters is supplied at the end of the book to help the reader keep up.
All in all, I can easily see why this book is so highly rated by so many people. It's well written, detailed, with an involved and complex plot. Inkspell and Inkdeath just didn't suit my taste as well as the original did. ( )
  fingerpost | Aug 5, 2018 |
Gosh, I adore this trilogy.

[b:Inkdeath|2325825|Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)|Cornelia Funke|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327341991s/2325825.jpg|3897683] wrapped the trilogy up in a blood-stained bow and presented it at the reader's feet. It made up for the awkwardness of the love-story subplot in [b:Inkspell|28195|Inkspell (Inkworld, #2)|Cornelia Funke|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1362151449s/28195.jpg|1567967] and carried on with the politics and rivalries of the Inkworld in a beautiful way.

The question of who the author of the story it was was never really resolved, but was brought up multiple times in an intriguing way. Frightening villains, wonderful questions, and beautiful writing.

What's not to like? It did the story justice, which is all you can really ask of a book. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Coulsen, DavidLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawson, CarolIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am the song that sings the bird.
I am the leaf that grows the land.
I am the tide that moves the moon.
I am the stream that halts the sand.
I am the cloud that drives the storm.
I am the earth that lights the sun.
I am the fire that strikes the stone.
I am the clay that shapes the hand.
I am the word that speaks the man.
--Charles Causely, "I am the Song."
To Rolf, always -- it was the best of things to be married to Dustfinger.

To Ileen, who knows all about loss and was always there to understand and ease the pain.

To Andrew, Angie, Antonia, Cam and James, Caroline, Elinor, and last but for sure not least, Lionel and Oliver, who all brought so much light, warmth, and true friendship to dark days.

And to the City of Angels, which fed me with beauty and wilderness and with the feeling that I had found my Inkworld.
Moonlight fell on Elinor's bathrobe, her nightdress, her bare feet, and the dog lying in front of them.

The masterful conclusion to the epic, award-winning, bestselling INKHEART trilogy by internationally acclaimed author Cornelia Funke.

The Adderhead--his immortality bound in a book by Meggie's father, Mo--has ordered his henchmen to plunder the villages. The peasants' only defense is a band of outlaws led by the Bluejay--Mo's fictitious double, whose identity he has reluctantly adopted. But the Book of Immortality is unraveling, and the Adderhead again fears the White Women of Death. To bring the renegade Bluejay back to repair the book, the Adderhead kidnaps all the children in the kingdom, dooming them to slavery in his silver mines unless Mo surrends. First Dustfinger, now Mo: Can anyone save this cursed story?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

As Bluejay--Mo's fictitious double--tries to keep the Book of Immortality from unraveling, Adderhead kidnaps all the children in the kingdom, asking for Bluejay's surrender or the children will be doomed to slavery in the silver mines.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible