SELECTED POEMS by William Carlos Williams

SELECTED POEMS (original 1968; edition 1985)

by William Carlos Williams

Member:Porius
Title:SELECTED POEMS
Authors:William Carlos Williams
Info:New Directions
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry

William Carlos Williams: Selected Poems by William Carlos Williams (1968)

To be fair, I read this for a WCW class and had to zoom through 200 poems in about a week. But so many of them didn't make sense to me. References felt obscure and... well, I just had trouble enjoying most of the poems. My favorites, though, were "El Hombre" and "The Manouevre." ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
This is the first full book of WCW's poetry I've read and I was pleasantly surprised by his range, considering it's only his more spare poems that get anthologized. I really have never understood why "The Red Wheelbarrow" has been singled out for so much press. It's instructional value? As an example of imagism? Now that I've read more of his work, I think it's even more ridiculous that "The Red Wheelbarrow" has become representative of his poetry because it really isn't.

I also feel vindicated in my earlier purchase of a two volume set of his collected poems and look forward to reading those as time allows. This 200 page volume was discovered at a used bookstore for $1.50 and I just couldn't pass it up. And I'm glad I didn't, not only because it has whetted my appetite for the collected works but because it will make a great loaner to others curious about him.

I'm not quite finished with this book. The last 40 pages are excerpts from his long poem "Paterson," which I'm finding I need to read slowly to catch how he's layering things. Thus far I'm finding it a very interesting poem. The same person who put together the collected volumes has also brought out an edition of Paterson and it's now on my amazon wish list. ( )
  jppoetryreader | Dec 11, 2011 |
I love the concept that Williams tried to invent a poetic form centered on everyday circumstances and “images” in America, and I also love that he tutored young poets including Allen Ginsberg, but sadly I’m not a fan of his poetry.

The “Red Wheelbarrow” is oft-quoted but I include it here; it’s what attracted me to give him a try:

so much depends

water

besides the white
chickens. ( )
  gbill | Nov 22, 2011 |
Having acquired a BA (Hons) in the 1970s majoring in Eng Lit without ever reading any WCW, I thought it wouldn't be a crime now to read more than 'The Red Wheelbarrow' and 'This is just to say' ... And indeed the book is an education and a joy. I did go hunting for learned commentary so as to deepen my appreciation of the poetry, and had the perverse pleasure of deciding that in some cases at least I would trust my own reading over that of the scholar.
2 vote shawjonathan | Oct 31, 2007 |
Masterful poet. ( )
  Poemblaze | Aug 7, 2006 |

Williams, William Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Breughel, PieterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarrell, RandallIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomlinson, CharlesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is this eye for this thing that most distinguishes Charles Sheeler - and along with it to know that every hair on every body, now or then, in its minute distinctiveness is the same hair, on every body anywhere, at any time, changed as it may be to feather, quill, or scale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081120958X, Paperback)

With the publication of this book, Charles Tomlinson's edition of Williams's Selected Poems, New Directions has introduced a gathering larger and more comprehensive than the original 1963 edition.

Opening with Professor Tomlinson's superbly clear and helpful introduction this selection reflects the most up-to-date Williams scholarship. In addition to including many more pieces, Tomlinson has organized the whole in chronological order.

"It isn't what he [the poet] says that counts as a work of art," Williams maintained, "it's what he makes, with such intensity of purpose that it lives with an intrinsic movement of its own to verify its authenticity."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

Reflects the most up-to-date Williams scholarship with selections arranged in chronological order.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,571,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible