The Rumi Collection by Jelaluddin Rumi

The Rumi Collection

by Jelaluddin Rumi

Recently added byprivate library, onenow, sudhir31, B00KAH0LIC, Cormach, es90, TempeInterfaith, liz.mabry

Spiritually and psychologically insightful poetry that cuts to the core. Rumi is elegant and yet at times very direct. His work speaks eloquently to the human condition. This was a great "overview" or introduction to his work and I will be reading more of it. ( )
  Neftzger | Jul 16, 2013 |
Sufism is a word tossed around by Sunnis claiming to have any hold on the subject, but further inquiry reveals they don't consider it to be orthodox, with the celebration in dancing and singing and so on they don't think are halal practices. For them, it is outside the realm of Islam. In actuality, it pre-dated Islam but later merged with it in its own branch. The result, however, is something quite beautiful, and the poems here show this. I might even say the poetry is very sensual. ( )
  cyanide.cupcake | Sep 12, 2011 |
"Rather then talk about God why not listen to God in Rumi's poetry? Loose yourself in Rumi's storytelling poetry and just enjoy God in all his forms." ( )
  PamelaWells | Mar 16, 2010 |
I pick this bk up whenever I've had a hard day. His words always seem to connect me to something larger than myself. ( )
  amsmtt | Mar 19, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 157062531X, Hardcover)

America's bestselling poet, 13th-century Sufi bard Rumi, would feel as overwhelmed as the rest of us when trying to pick out just the right collection of his translated masterpieces. To the rescue comes Kabir Helminski, a modern-day Sufi who has wrapped up a sampler of Rumi's inspirational poems. Let's not object that about half of the translations are from Kabir's own hand (in cooperation with his wife, Camille) since they are excellent in their own respect and are accompanied by pieces from the likes of Robert Bly, Coleman Barks, and Andrew Harvey. As editor, Helminski spans the range of Rumi's oeuvre, from the contemplative "Stay Close, My Heart" to the ecstatic "Drowned in God" to the whimsical "Animal Cookies." The magic of Rumi is his imagery. The journey to God comes cloaked in such guises as a tailor, bread, buttermilk, a surgeon, chickpeas, the edge of a roof, a beggar, a jar, and an elephant's dream. Two of the tastiest treats are "Eating Poetry" and "Love Is Like a Lawsuit." --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible