Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel by C. J. Box

Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel (edition 2003)

by C. J. Box

Member:starboard
Title:Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel
Authors:C. J. Box
Info:Berkley (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***

Savage Run by C. J. Box

Recently added bystevekover, mpontiff, pkared, RowingRabbit, davidanderson_1701, private library, huladancer
    Coyote Wind and Specimen Song by Peter Bowen (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: Wyoming and Montana are great places for stories! A great hero and cast of characters

Savage Run is the second novel in the Joe Pickett series by author CJ Box. Joe Pickett is called to the scene after an exploding cow (yes you did read that right) kills a famous ecoterrorist Stewie Woods and his new wife. He visits the cow's owner who doesn't seem to want to know what happened on his land which leaves Joe angry. Then other environmental activitsts start turning up dead in strange circumstances. Joe investigates as the body count rises.

This book is as good as the first one even if the book seems more bizarre.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 9, 2013 |
A page-turner! ( )
  JessieP73 | Apr 6, 2013 |
Joe Pickett is still patrolling his wilderness area, checking fishing or hunting licenses, keeping an eye on wildlife, counting baby Elk. When an internationally known environmentalist is blown to bits by an exploding cow (yep, exploding cow) Joe is drawn into a spider web of murders that are seemingly unconnected but something is bothering him about it.

I like Joe and his family, I like what Joe does for a living. I'm a little uncomfortable with the amazing body counts that seem to wreaking havoc in these books. I know it is a murder mystery/thriller but I don't necessarily see the need for more than six/seven bodies, especially when you are talking about a remote area like the northern Rocky Mountains and in Yellowstone National Park. It just is a bit much sometimes.

I'll read the next book to see if things settle down some, I really like his writing style, but if multiple body counts keep mounting up I might have to stop this series. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
As the second book in this series I continued to be impressed. This was a fast-paced thrill ride as our hero, with some enviromentalists, are running for their lives in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming from a madman hired by big money to kill them in order to make a statement of their own. I'm excited to move on to book three. ( )
  she_climber | Aug 15, 2011 |
This is the book with the exploding cow and introduces you to Joe Pickett. The plots are what got me hooked because it was defineatley not C.J.'s style of writing that kept me reading. ( )
  Poprockz | Jan 7, 2011 |

C. J. Boxprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, Royce M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cavanaugh, MeighanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425189244, Mass Market Paperback)

Laconic Joe Pickett returns to his slightly offbeat duties in Wyoming's Bighorn Mountains in C. J. Box's Savage Run. Joe is called to the scene when an exploding cow kills a famous ecoterrorist, Stewie Woods, and his bride of three days, who were peacefully spiking trees. A visit to the cow's pugnacious owner leaves Joe defensive, angry, and curious: Why doesn't the rancher ask any questions about the bizarre accident that happened on his land? Then Joe's wife, Marybeth, begins receiving phone calls from her high-school boyfriend—-the peculiarly healthy-sounding Stewie Woods. Stewie may or may not be alive, but his old pal Hayden Powell and other environmental activists are all turning up deceased in strange circumstances. As the body count climbs, Joe tries to sort out the bad guys, the good guys, and the truly dead guys in this sometimes funny, sometimes angry sequel to Box's award-winning first novel, Open Season. Box depicts the spare beauty and cussed individualism of the intermountain West with the sure hand of a seasoned writer. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:33 -0400)

Game warden Joe Pickett investigates the explosion that killed two environmental activists.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible