Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel by C. J. Box

Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel (edition 2003)

by C. J. Box

Member:cerievans1
Title:Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel
Authors:C. J. Box
Info:Berkley (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read in 2012, USA

Savage Run by C. J. Box

Coyote Wind and Specimen Song by Peter Bowen (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: Wyoming and Montana are great places for stories! A great hero and cast of characters

Well, that's one way to make ground chuck! Seriously though, I really enjoyed this book. The character development was very well done. Our villains are deeply disturbing individuals with an evil plan. Charlie Tibbs ranks up there with my "Best Worse Villains Ever" and the last person I'd want to tick off. On the upside, I'm really becoming fond of Joe Pickett, who is once again the underdog. He's not the alpha male that is so popular in fiction today, just an average "Joe" who loves his family and has a deep sense of commitment to his job. You really can't help but like the guy, especially after this book. For Joe, right is right and wrong is wrong. Period. It doesn't matter if he's arresting the Governor for fishing without a license, or in this case, up against a crazed killer who is carrying out a politically motivated agenda. It was nice to get to know more about Marybeth, too. They are a great couple and it's obvious that they gain strength from each other.

The last half of this book was incredibly fast paced. I'm a real sucker for underdogs and suspense, so I was glued to the pages and enjoying the dialogue! The descriptions of Wyoming and the wildlife pulled me right into each scene, like I was a ghostly observer. Love it when a book can do that. The plot wove together nicely, wrapping up enough of the loose strings to make me wonder about Joe's future. I recommend this to any Crime Thriller fan, but just beware that some of the violence is a bit graphic and cringe worthy. If you like the occasional goosebump and shudder in your reading, this is for you! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Two ruthless hired hitmen have hired by a shadowy group known as the "Stockman's Trust" to kill several influential 'eco-terrorists' who the group see as threatening to their ranching lifestyles. The first to be attacked is "Stewie Woods" who is calmly spiking trees in Wyoming's forests in order to thwart logging company ventures. Stewie and his bride of three days happen upon a tethered cow with a pack of C4 strapped to its back. A remote detonation sends the cow, Stewie and his wife into the trees. This attack is quickly followed by the deaths of an environmental author, lawyer, congressman and a woman reintroducing wolves (albeit illegally) into the wilds. Wyoming Game Warden Joe Pickett becomes deeply involved in the investigation when a man, insisting he is Stewie Woods, begins calling Joe's wife, Marybeth, for help. Marybeth and Stewie had been friends back in their college days but she has not seen him in many years. Not completely convinced of Stewies's death, Joe finds himself in the path of the two hired killers as well as the sinister Stockman's Trust.

I enjoyed this adventurous thriller quite a bit. Wyoming's landscape is described quite beautifully throughout the story, especially a frightening escape through a deep canyon known as Savage Run. Joe Pickett is a likeable character, slow to anger but focused on bringing criminals to justice. I will definitely read more of this exciting series.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Book # 2 in the Joe Pickett series starts with the death of an infamous environmentalist. A fire-spotter has noted the explosion, and the Sheriff, expecting some sort of poaching of elk, calls on the Wyoming Game Warden to join him in investigating. The bloody scene of destruction is not what they were expecting and the Sheriff seems particularly angry that Pickett is involved. “But,” Pickett reminds him, “YOU called me to join you.” The case is closed fairly quickly, but Joe isn’t satisfied, and several other deaths among environmentalists increase his suspicions.

I love the Joe Pickett character. He’s an honest-to-God “good guy” – highly principled, and deliberating carefully before acting. However, he does have a tendency to overreach and not consider the political ramifications of his black-and-white thinking. I guess I’d have to say that he is naïve and hasn’t matured into the kind of warden he certainly is capable of becoming – yet. Those missteps are what make the plots of these books so interesting, and make Joe such a likeable character.

Box also is skilled at crafting a fast-paced page-turner. In this novel he moves back and forth between Joe, the killers, and Joe’s wife, Marybeth, giving the reader short vignettes that slowly reveal the big picture. This kind of structure also helps build suspense.

And this book has one of the best opening lines – ever: On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Bellotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up. Until then, their marriage had been happy.

I’ll definitely keep reading this series.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Environmental activists are dying in seeming accidents but, I'll bet you know, there is really murder involved. Great story and great writing (and rather funny at times, too). ( )
  gbelik | Jul 8, 2015 |
Savage Run is the second novel in the Joe Pickett series by author CJ Box. Joe Pickett is called to the scene after an exploding cow (yes you did read that right) kills a famous ecoterrorist Stewie Woods and his new wife. He visits the cow's owner who doesn't seem to want to know what happened on his land which leaves Joe angry. Then other environmental activitsts start turning up dead in strange circumstances. Joe investigates as the body count rises.

This book is as good as the first one even if the book seems more bizarre.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 9, 2013 |

C. J. Boxprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, Royce M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cavanaugh, MeighanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425189244, Mass Market Paperback)

Laconic Joe Pickett returns to his slightly offbeat duties in Wyoming's Bighorn Mountains in C. J. Box's Savage Run. Joe is called to the scene when an exploding cow kills a famous ecoterrorist, Stewie Woods, and his bride of three days, who were peacefully spiking trees. A visit to the cow's pugnacious owner leaves Joe defensive, angry, and curious: Why doesn't the rancher ask any questions about the bizarre accident that happened on his land? Then Joe's wife, Marybeth, begins receiving phone calls from her high-school boyfriend—-the peculiarly healthy-sounding Stewie Woods. Stewie may or may not be alive, but his old pal Hayden Powell and other environmental activists are all turning up deceased in strange circumstances. As the body count climbs, Joe tries to sort out the bad guys, the good guys, and the truly dead guys in this sometimes funny, sometimes angry sequel to Box's award-winning first novel, Open Season. Box depicts the spare beauty and cussed individualism of the intermountain West with the sure hand of a seasoned writer. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:48 -0400)

Game warden Joe Pickett investigates the explosion that killed two environmental activists.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,863,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible