Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel by C. J. Box

Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel (edition 2003)

by C. J. Box

Member:cerievans1
Title:Savage Run: A Joe Pickett Novel
Authors:C. J. Box
Info:Berkley (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read in 2012, USA

Savage Run by C. J. Box

Coyote Wind and Specimen Song by Peter Bowen (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: Wyoming and Montana are great places for stories! A great hero and cast of characters

This was a great story. A little too much on the hero blushing, but still gets a 5 star from me. ( )
  delta61 | Feb 4, 2017 |
Game Warden Joe Pickett engages the forces of evil on opposing sides of environmentalists and ranchers in modern Wyoming. Both sets of villains were well developed as their evil, but opposing, plans unfolded. Joe Pickett and his family are honestly good guys. I especially liked the exploding cow as a murder weapon, but thought the author could come up with another imaginative tool when it was used again. I'll devour book #3. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 23, 2016 |
Game warden Joe Pickett is called to a scene in his assigned area in the mountains where two environmental activists were blown up by a cow tied up with explosives. The sheriff takes the case but when Joe's wife starts getting phone calls from the activist who was presumably dead, Joe starts investigating himself. He finds that someone else is looking for the activist and may be trying to kill him again.

I liked Joe Pickett and his family, which is how the story starts out. Slowly, the suspense builds and then turns into exciting action in parts. In a couple places, I thought Joe took some risky actions when he had other options so that loses a little credibility for me. But, overall I enjoyed it. ( )
  gaylebutz | Dec 6, 2016 |
Ok. I have to admit my attention was caught when I read the first sentence of this book. Exploding cows? Huh. Having survived Book #1, Joe Pickett and family are working hard to make things right and their lives okay. But here we have exploding cows. One of Mary Beth's childhood friend may have been blown up, maybe not. But there are more deaths - most environmentalists.

What's up? The "good" guys hired as assassin to make their lives much easier. This guy is good and he doesn't take prisoners. ( )
  macygma | Jul 2, 2016 |
Well, that's one way to make ground chuck! Seriously though, I really enjoyed this book. The character development was very well done. Our villains are deeply disturbing individuals with an evil plan. Charlie Tibbs ranks up there with my "Best Worse Villains Ever" and the last person I'd want to tick off. On the upside, I'm really becoming fond of Joe Pickett, who is once again the underdog. He's not the alpha male that is so popular in fiction today, just an average "Joe" who loves his family and has a deep sense of commitment to his job. You really can't help but like the guy, especially after this book. For Joe, right is right and wrong is wrong. Period. It doesn't matter if he's arresting the Governor for fishing without a license, or in this case, up against a crazed killer who is carrying out a politically motivated agenda. It was nice to get to know more about Marybeth, too. They are a great couple and it's obvious that they gain strength from each other.

The last half of this book was incredibly fast paced. I'm a real sucker for underdogs and suspense, so I was glued to the pages and enjoying the dialogue! The descriptions of Wyoming and the wildlife pulled me right into each scene, like I was a ghostly observer. Love it when a book can do that. The plot wove together nicely, wrapping up enough of the loose strings to make me wonder about Joe's future. I recommend this to any Crime Thriller fan, but just beware that some of the violence is a bit graphic and cringe worthy. If you like the occasional goosebump and shudder in your reading, this is for you! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

C. J. Boxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becker, Royce M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cavanaugh, MeighanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Bellotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425189244, Mass Market Paperback)

Laconic Joe Pickett returns to his slightly offbeat duties in Wyoming's Bighorn Mountains in C. J. Box's Savage Run. Joe is called to the scene when an exploding cow kills a famous ecoterrorist, Stewie Woods, and his bride of three days, who were peacefully spiking trees. A visit to the cow's pugnacious owner leaves Joe defensive, angry, and curious: Why doesn't the rancher ask any questions about the bizarre accident that happened on his land? Then Joe's wife, Marybeth, begins receiving phone calls from her high-school boyfriend—-the peculiarly healthy-sounding Stewie Woods. Stewie may or may not be alive, but his old pal Hayden Powell and other environmental activists are all turning up deceased in strange circumstances. As the body count climbs, Joe tries to sort out the bad guys, the good guys, and the truly dead guys in this sometimes funny, sometimes angry sequel to Box's award-winning first novel, Open Season. Box depicts the spare beauty and cussed individualism of the intermountain West with the sure hand of a seasoned writer. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:48 -0400)

Game warden Joe Pickett investigates the explosion that killed two environmental activists.

34 wanted6 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,857,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible