The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

The Septembers of Shiraz (2007)

by Dalia Sofer

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
An amazing story about a Jewish gem dealer who is arrested and thrown into prison in Iran. He has done nothing wrong. His home and possessions are taken from the family. They work tirelessly to find him. Very heart wrenching and eye opeining. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
well written book presenting many views of the Iranian revolution. The details were so painful and truthful that it was not a pleasant read. ( )
  suesbooks | Jan 3, 2019 |
The Septembers of Shiraz never quite engaged me, despite my interest in Iran and novels about political repression. Though Sofer's story felt sincere and genuine -- she and her family left Iran when she was 10 -- her characters, with the exception of Shirin, a young girl, didn't bring the book alive for me.

I wrote a little about The Septembers of Shiraz on my blog here. ( )
  LizoksBooks | Dec 15, 2018 |
Fantastic story and book. I first came across this as I am a huge Adrien Brody fan and try to see every one of his films as my library gets them. The movie was excellent, so I decided to get the book as well. It is far far more detailed than the movie with loads of people that are not in the film.

I highly recommend this book and hope she comes out with another one soon.

A ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
A novel. A notable book: New York Times book review
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
For my parents, Simon and Farah,
my brothers, Joseph and Alfred,
and my sister, Orly
When Isaac Amin sees two men with rifles walk into his office at half past noon on a warm autumn day in Tehran, his first thought is that he won't be able to join his wife and daughter for lunch, as promised.

In the aftermath of the Iranian revolution, rare-gem dealer Isaac Amin is arrested, wrongly accused of being a spy. Terrified by his disappearance, his family must reconcile a new world of cruelty and chaos with the collapse of everything they have known. As Isaac navigates the terrors of prison, and his wife feverishly searches for him, his children struggle with the realization that their family may soon be forced to embark on a journey of incalculable danger.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Their serene villa life devastated by a wrongful imprisonment, the wife and children of Tehran gentleman Isaac Amin face potential betrayals within their own household and eventually plan a dangerous escape.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible