The Best of Saki by Saki

The Best of Saki

by Saki

Apart from a few masterpieces like The Open Window these are mere short anecdotes from upper class life. Amusing but not really memorable. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
As ever with short stories (and these are very short) the collection has some ups and downs. For me the ups were the ones featuring children. The inventive way that the young lad got into the lumber room, and the delights he found there was fabulous. Accompanied by the sensation of getting one up on a slightly dense authority figure. And that is the overriding feel of the book, that authority should be pricked. There is, at times, a slightly cruel edge to the tone; the twist to the story of the gentleman with a frog in his clothing who has to disrobe in a railway carriage being the example that springs to mind. At times they are dated, but at times they feel a lot more recent than the first decade of the century. There is a flapper feel to them, and, with little to actually date them, they could be set almost anywhere in peace in the first half of the 20th century.
This was a good collection and I'm pleased to have read it. The best of them were very good. ( )
  Helenliz | Nov 27, 2014 |
What a delightful find. Saki is clearly the heir of Oscar Wilde, with similar acerbic wit honed with fine psychological observations. One wonders what kind of writer he could have become had WWI not put a premature end to his life. The quality of these short vignettes varies somehow, as can be expected from a writer his age, but some are downright delightful, and every story has at least one brilliant sentence or aforism that one rereads and savours, hoping one could be just as brilliant at witty repartee or withering comments. ( )
  fist | May 15, 2014 |
I first read a book of Saki's stories when I was in primary school, and I found "Gabriel Ernest" rather frightening, even though nothing much actually happened 'on-screen'. "The Music on the Hill" has that same sense of unease, but luckily I didn't read it until I was older or it might have put me off the countryside altogether!

I love his descriptions of people- my favourite is "Bertie von Tahn, who was so depraved at seventeen that he had long ago given up trying to be any worse" (from Tobermory). ( )
  isabelx | Feb 24, 2011 |
These are all mostly short short stories—even in this very small Penguin edition, they average no more than about five or six pages each—but they are bitingly, blackly funny. All very Edwardian now, but still rather like an unholy union of Wodehouse and Wilde. ( )
  siriaeve | Jul 7, 2008 |

Sakiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Greene, GrahamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poppel, Peter vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rommers, Pieter H.W.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Saki's satirical, comic and macabre short stories of pre-war society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,628,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible