The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw

The Greatest Generation (1998)

by Tom Brokaw

Recently added bymbmackay, JGY100, private library, cherobula, wjcollier3, Thomas80, mrelisha, Stitswerd, ryanpoole

A series of stories of US WW2 veterans. Actually much better than it sounds.
Read Mar 2004 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 29, 2015 |
Interesting, not bad, but not particularly compelling. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Interesting, not bad, but not particularly compelling. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
4 hours: abridged. I bought it at a second-hand store and now I want the unabridged version. This is a compilation of the lives of individual men and woman who told of their experiences during the fighting of WWII. I marveled at the selfless dedication and bravery of ordinary people and even some famous ones. Tom Brokaw states, "I am in awe of them, these men and women who have given us the world we have today. I feel privileged to have been witness to their stories". You might be shocked at how different our cultural worldview presents itself today in just the span of 68 years. (For me, it is just one generation) . Tom Brokaw inspires as retells each hero's experience. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Jul 29, 2013 |
A good read, however, the greatest generation was the Founding Fathers. You need to read the book The Politically Incorrect Guide to The Founding Fathers ( )
  virg144 | May 1, 2013 |
For Meredith, of course, and her parents, Vivian and Merritt Auld, and my parents, Jean and Anthony "Red" Brokaw
In the spring of 1984 I went to the northwest of France, to Normandy, to prepare an NBC documentary on the fortieth anniversary of D-Day, the massive and daring Allied invasion of Europe that marked the beginning of the end of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375502025, Hardcover)

Veteran reporter and NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Brokaw went to France to make a documentary marking the 40th anniversary of D-day in 1984. Although he was thoroughly briefed on the historical background of the invasion, he was totally unprepared for how it would affect him emotionally. Flooded with childhood memories of World War II, Brokaw began asking veterans at the ceremony to revisit their past and talk about what happened, triggering a chain reaction of war-torn confessions and Brokaw's compulsion to capture their experiences in what he terms "the permanence a book would represent."

After almost 15 years and hundreds of letters and interviews, Brokaw wrote The Greatest Generation, a representative cross-section of the stories he came across. However, this collection is more than a mere chronicle of a tumultuous time, it's history made personal by a cast of everyday people transformed by extraordinary circumstances: the first women to break the homemaker mold, minorities suffering countless indignities to boldly fight for their country, infantrymen who went on to become some of the most distinguished leaders in the world, small-town kids who became corporate magnates. From the reminiscences of George Bush and Julia Child to the astonishing heroism and moving love stories of everyday people, The Greatest Generation salutes those whose sacrifices changed the course of American history. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

In this book, Tom Brokaw goes out into America, to tell through the stories of individual men and women the story of a generation, America's citizen heroes and heroines who came of age during the Great Depression and the Second World War and went on to build modern America. This generation was united not only by a common purpose, but also by common values - duty, honor, economy, courage, service, love of family and country, and, above all, responsibility for oneself. In this book, you will meet people whose everyday lives reveal how a generation persevered through war, and were trained by it, and then went on to create interesting and useful lives and the America we have today.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible