Snakehead by Ann Halam

Snakehead

by Ann Halam

This book is really bad. It took me 2 weeks just to get through the first 100 pages!!!! it was very weird and i could find none of the original myth in it! i know the author was trying to create a new myth but it just fell flat. I couldn;t find much backround on the charcters and the writing was just blah. Dont read this is you want a cool book and a revamped myth! ( )
  avhacker | Dec 9, 2010 |
I picked this book up for my teen son who is an ancient history buff. He gave it back to me after reading a few chapters. I tried to read it as well, but the plot is slow. When one of the characters claimed to be a potato-growing Peruvian living in ancient Greece, I too gave up on the book. I do commend the attempt to write a piece of fiction that included characters from Greek mythology. ( )
  JMcCullum | Jan 3, 2010 |
"Snakehead" by Ann Halam is the story of Perseus, Danae (his mother), Andromeda, and the monster Medusa. Perseus is introduced as a young man raised by Dictys to the ways of peace and hospitality at the tavern which Dictys owns and runs even though he is the rightful king of the island on which they live. Dictys took in Danae and Perseus when he found them floating in the box that her father had nailed them in because he was trying to avoid his fate to be killed by his grandson. Andromeda meets Danae and Perseus when they go to trade goods for the tavern. She travels back with them and works at the tavern under an assumed name. She, too, is trying to avoid her fate of being a human sacrifice.
The politics and varying religious beliefs are presented well in the novel as well as natural disasters. Earthquakes and tidal waves are seen as indications of the gods' disfavor by some and by just bad luck natural occurrences by others. The story of the challenge by Polydectes to Perseus to bring him the Medusa's head is also presented well. The gods are presented well but are not so much bigger-than-life than manipulative to help themselves. Athena is shown to have a temper and Hermes to be a stand-up guy.
I like the way the author fleshed out the story of Perseus and Andromeda, the one love story in mythology that has a happy ending! ( )
  JDanigel | Sep 5, 2009 |
An interesting reworking of the Greek myth. It was different getting know the characters and seeing them as actually individuals, with all their quirks, weakness, dreams, etc. You don't really get to know them very well in the myths. I enjoyed the story but then I've always like the Greek myths. ( )
  hewayzha | Aug 22, 2008 |
A retelling of the story of Perseus, Andromeda and the Medusa. Andromeda, a brilliant scholar, is to be sacrificed to the sea god. Perseus must conquer the Medusa before he can save Andromeda and his war-torn country. This retelling mixes in some modern elements. For example, when Perseus goes to meet his father Zeus, it is on a modern-day yacht. Halam also uses elements of other Greek myths to move her story along - Andromeda and Perseus are given a lift by Jason and the Argonauts. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | May 7, 2008 |

PERSEUS, THE GOD-TOUCHED son of Zeus and a mortal princess, takes his easy life on the island of Serifos for granted, but he knows he lives in troubled times. First the gods, now the politicians, send trouble rumbling across land and sea.
When a beautiful stranger, a fugitive from another disaster zone, arrives on the island, Perseus is smitten. But Andromeda isn’t all she seems. She must die to save her people, and a stunning, world-changing discovery will die with her, unless Perseus abandons everything to confront the Medusa quest.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:59 -0400)

Compelled by his father Zeus to accept the evil king Polydectes's challenge to bring the head of the monstrous Medusa to the Aegean island of Serifos, Perseus, although questioning the gods' interference in human lives, sets out, accompanied by his beloved Andromeda, a princess with her own harsh destiny to fulfill.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible