Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas

Authors:Dylan Thomas
Info:Phoenix (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Literature, Your library, To read

Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas

Recently added bysetnahkt, OldGlobeLibrary, susan594, BaroP, private library, TMINST, regala, bernarde54
Legacy LibrariesKaren Blixen, Sylvia Plath
    Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg (Sylak)
    Sylak: If you enjoy 20th Century poetry, give this a try.

Timeless. This must be one of the finest 'modern' plays. Great to listen to, great to act in, full of memorable quotes and songs. ( )
  bullfinch | Mar 12, 2015 |
Under Milk Wood: A Play for Voices: Everyman Definitive Edition introduction and notes by Walford Davies.
I read this edition, as I wanted a greater background to the play. This is the book for that. You can read the play very quickly, but it is probably better for a second reading.
The introduction is nearly 40 pages (and there are copious notes after the play itself). I am glad I spent the time reading the intro as it gave a great insight and whetted the appetite for the actual (short) play. It certainly highlighted interesting and salient parts I would have otherwise missed.
You fall into the play, as you would image from a poet as great as Thomas. Written two years before his death, this was a culmination of his poetry before, but what might have come after may well have surpassed this, using the idea of the village being deemed as mad by bureaucrats and turned into a lunatic asylum, with all the villagers unaware they are defined as ‘mad!’ – “Are you mad in a sane world, or sane in a mad world??” That is the question? Thomas would have written an even better play than this had he not died tragically young (39).
The narration is pure poetry and the surreal nature of the voices is compelling and bewitching, bordering on genius.
Don’t skip the intro, your enjoyment will be lessened, but what you’ve never known, you never miss!
On a similar note if you are about to set sail on Ulysses a similar approach will pay dividends. If you are about to set sail on Finnegan’s Wake, – you’re ‘mad in a sane world!’

The writing IMP ( )
  IanMPindar | Sep 8, 2014 |
This was a totally immersive pleasure. I savoured every word - and they're in abundance as they come at you almost without pause for thought or breath in this extended prose poem - 'a play for voices'. The tempo and rhythm matches that of a day's span: gentle and deliberate at times, busily frenzied at others. I don't know if this is Thomas' masterpiece as I'm only at the beginning of reading his work, but it must surely have been hard to better. It is a small piece of perfection - short in length but leaving a lasting impression. A day in the life of the backwater seaside town of Llareggub. I should say that it is a fictional town, but that almost seems ungrateful on my part - such is the power and vivid impression of his rendering of that place. It is a place alive with spirit and flavour, sounds and smells, tones and tastes. There are ghosts and poetry, dreams and gossip. Hopes and memories abound. At times I was struck by an almost Chagall-like sense of imagery. There are equal parts tragedy and wonder, as well as the fantastic and the banal; and a fair dollop of fruity humour to boot.

I had the pleasure of listening to the audiobook version remade by the BBC in 2003, featuring the pitch-perfect original recording of Richard Burton as 'First Voice', together with a new all-Welsh cast of many wonderful voices - including Sian Phillips as 'Second Voice'. I've seen the 1970s film adaptation before but this audio recording was superlative. Now I want a printed edition - and I hope there'll be a suitably designed commemorative one out in 2014 for the Thomas centenary - as I know that I will want to savour this all again, line by line, over and over. As soon as I finished it I put the first disc back in and had to listen to it all over again. It is a magical and beautiful thing. ( )
  Polaris- | Dec 2, 2013 |
This play is written more for radio than for stage, so it's more about voice than image. The work is reminiscent of Spoon River Anthology, except that most of the characters in this are living, and the action takes place over a single day in a small Welsh village. The characters are introduced as they sleep, and visited in their dreams, then as they awake, we move through the day with them, an ordinary day in a small village, nothing special. This is a play where nothing really happens. It's a slice of life on a quotidian day in a quotidian town. Thomas couches it in poetic language, making the events seem more like magic than mundane, and a chorus narrates through the entire play the events that are unfolding as we eavesdrop, occasionally explaining some detail of life that would otherwise go unremarked. A good read, but probably would be even better when spoken. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Jul 2, 2013 |
A radio 'feature', rather than a play, according to the introduction to my edition, Under Milk Wood is amazing. It's full of lively, unique description, a rapidfire sketch of village life. I can't even pick out a part I like best because all of it is vivacious and interesting. The description, on the first page, for just one example, of the night, 'starless and bible-black'. Dylan Thomas knew what he was doing when it came to language, at all times, and it shows.

The introduction to this edition, by Walford Davies, is a very good one, giving an idea of the background of the story, context to explain what's going on, bits about Dylan's writing process... And the back is full of explanatory notes.

A quick read. Likely to reward rereading richly, I'd say. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Dylan Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Claus, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To begin at the beginning: It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobble streets silent and the hunched, courters’ – and- rabbits’ wood limping invisible down to the sloeback, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea. The houses are blind as moles (though moles see fine tonight in the snouting, velvet dingles) or as blind as Captain Cat there in the muffled middle by the pump and the town clock, the shops in mourning, the Welfare Hall in widows’ weeds. And all the people of the lulled and dumbfounded town are sleeping now.
And before you let the sun in, mind it wipes its shoes. Mrs Ogmore-Pritchard.// Willy Nilly postman.....downs his last bucket of black brackish tea and rumbles out bandy to the clucking back where the hens twitch and grieve for their tea-soaked sops.// Praise the Lord! We are a musical nation......Reverend Eli Jenkins.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0811202097, Paperback)

Completed just before his death in 1953, this work gives the fullest expression to Thomas' sense of the magnificent flavor and variety of life.

A moving and hilarious account of a spring day in a small Welsh coastal town, Under Milk Wood is "lyrical, impassioned and funny, an Our Town given universality" (The New Statesman and Nation).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:42 -0400)

"Music for the songs": p.100-107. Completed just before the author's death in 1953, this comical and dramatic work presents the tale of a single spring day in the lives of 53 characters in a small Welsh village.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,178,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible