Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews
Recently added byanntie, private library, tennwisc, dearheart, frazle, msmaui, Dmtcer
    Savannah Breeze by Mary Kay Andrews (MyBookBarn)
    MyBookBarn: This is the second book in May Kay Andrews Savannah series. It's just as highly entertaining as Savannah Blues & I highly recommend! Fans of Antiquing, who-dun-its or southern lit (humor) should check out this book!

I’d read Savannah Breeze before picking up this book at the library. So I was already familiar with some of the characters, and it was fun to see them from a different angle.

Newly divorced Weezie Foley is putting up with a lot. Her ex-husband is living in their townhouse with his new fiancé while she’s living in the carriage house on the same property. This is the townhouse she’d put the money down on, rehabbed on her own and decorated to the showplace it had become. She’s a picker, meaning she goes to garage and estate sales with an eye towards resale, and she’s really good at both it as well as decorating. It doesn’t help that she finds the body of the woman she hates and since she’d threatened the woman . . . she’s up on murder charges. Unfortunately, her alcoholic mother is adding to her stress with her denial of her alcoholism and constant harassment of Weezie.

Add a couple of uncovered schemes involving an old house that’s about to be torn down when it should be considered the property of the historical society, a delicious chef, a best friend who likes to scheme, an ex-husband who wants her back and you’ve got a fun and funny chic-lit/mystery.

I can’t help but comparing it to Savannah Breeze. There are parts of this book I like better and aspects of the second book I thought were done better. I expected a level of danger in this book, and we do get it to some extent, but not from the direction I was expecting. The story is mostly told from the points of view of Weezie and her Uncle James, a lawyer who used to be a priest. One thing done really well is the quirky, although realistic characters, the real-life situations and the resulting emotions which run the spectrum.

I was somewhat disappointed in how one of the issues uncovered is handled, although it definitely works out good for the abused parties. We do learn something about the antiques business and pickers; the people who find the stuff for the dealers. And Daniel, the chef mentioned, is an interesting and steamy character.

An enjoyable tale. ( )
  dearheart | Jul 14, 2014 |
so much fun...I hope Weezie and BeBe have long lives...I need more of their antics! ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
Im sure i missed a bunch of this book since i listend to the audio and only after i was finished did i see it was an abridged version ( )
  Talaskat | Oct 8, 2013 |
The perfect book for one of the dreary winter days when one's home with a cold. It's simple, light, well enough constructed, and what's not to love about Savannah? ( )
  dianaleez | Sep 24, 2013 |
Definitely a good summer beach read and thoroughly enjoyable! I had not read any of Andrews's books, but I may have to read more of them. There is a mystery going on in Savannah, but there is so much humor, it's not a dark whodunit at all. I love the main character, Weezie, and of course the setting is perfect. Since I am a frequent visitor to Savannah, I can see the places in the book very well. There is a murder, but it's no one you'll like, so it's ok (at least when it comes to fiction - not in real life!). Think Evanovich on a slightly more serious level. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jul 25, 2013 |
This one is for my big sis, Susie, with love.
The rapping at the front door of the carriage house was unmistakable.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061031356, Mass Market Paperback)

Eloise Foley, known to her friends as Weezie, has been through the divorce from hell. Her ex-husband Tal (aka Talmadge Evans III) was awarded their house in Savannah's historic district, the house that Weezie had spent years painstakingly restoring to its original splendor. Weezie was awarded the two-bedroom carriage house on the same property. Each was sure the other would sell. But Tal has taken up residence in the main house with his new girlfriend Caroline DeSantos (who never seems to perspire or have a hair out of place during the wilting Savannah summer), Weezie is running her antiques business out back, and neither will budge. She's also got a few loony relatives and a hunky former boyfriend to contend with, and if that's not enough, dirty deals aplenty wherever she turns. In this town, where everybody knows everybody's business, something's got to give, and something does...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:36 -0400)

Eloise "Weezie" Foley is divorced from Talmadge Evans III and living in the carriage house on their former estate while he and his new girlfriend reside in the main house. As she tries to rebuild her life and her antiques business Weezie also finds herself having to deal with loony relatives, a handsome ex-boyfriend, and dirty deals.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible