The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr

The Angel of Darkness (1997)

by Caleb Carr

Series: Dr. Laszlo Kreizler (2)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: From the case files of Dr. Lazlo Kreizler, a fictitious early practitioner of what is know known as Psychology.
    Paradise Alley by Kevin Baker (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: If you like historical novels of early New York, this one's for you.
    The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld (PghDragonMan)

English (53)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
This book continues with the same characters we meet in The Alienist pursuing a female serial killer of children. His stories take us back to early New York City, beginning when Teddy Roosevelt was police commissioner trying to tame a corrupt department. In the second book he is the Secretary of the Navy. Carr's books revolve around real people and real crimes. I enjoy the historical elements and the characters. The books have a Sherlock Holmes feel to them. At times it feels like the story is moving slowly but it keeps your interest. Good read. I would read another with these characters. ( )
  LJCain | Aug 29, 2018 |
I enjoyed this as much as or perhaps a little more than the Alienist. I read this in 3 days - just could not stay away from the book.. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Jun 9, 2018 |
Angel of Darkness
3 Stars

The first book in this duology, The Alienist is absolutely brilliant and I cannot recommend it enough. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the sequel.

Although the basic premise of an investigation into a female serial killer in 1897 has potential and the characters both historical and fictitious are well developed and interesting, the writing is excessively descriptive and repetitious, and the endless narration completely drowns out the plot.

With a good editor Angel of Darkness could be an exciting and fast paced read that offers some profound insight into the lives of women in the late 19th century. It is a pity that it all gets bogged down in the unrestrained word count. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Set in late 19th century New York City, this mystery features Laszlo Kreizler, an "alienist" (psychologist) and his cohorts as they track down and capture a truly villainous woman. I did find it slow going and often wished that the team would pick up the pace a bit. ( )
  gbelik | May 7, 2018 |
It is hard not to compare this to the Alienist even thought it is nothing like it. Same characters but a little older and more mature due to the happenings and tribulations of the first novel. Carr really fleshes out the lesser discussed characters like Stevie and Cyrus in this novel. The whole brawl at the end of the book is kind of cheesy but well done. Our little Philipino friend is kind of campy but understandable. All in all this a great book. Very suspenseful, and thought out. Our villain is a true villain. A very scary individual to say the least. ( )
1 vote Joe73 | Mar 22, 2018 |

Caleb Carrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martinache, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It is not having been in the dark house, but having left it, that counts" -- Theodore Roosevelt
To my mother and father
There's likely some polished way of starting a story like this, a clever bit of gaming that'd sucker people in surer than the best banco feeler in town.

Kidnapping of Senor Narcisco Linares' child.

In one of the most critically acclaimed novels of the year, Caleb Carr-- bestselling author of The Alienist--pits Dr. Laszlo Kreizler and his colleagues against a murderer as evil as the darkest night. . . .From the Paperback edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,971,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible