The angel of darkness by Caleb Carr

The angel of darkness (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Caleb Carr

Member:nans
Title:The angel of darkness
Authors:Caleb Carr
Info:New York: Random House, c1997.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Read 2012

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr (1997)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: From the case files of Dr. Lazlo Kreizler, a fictitious early practitioner of what is know known as Psychology.
    Paradise Alley by Kevin Baker (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: If you like historical novels of early New York, this one's for you.
    The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld (PghDragonMan)

English (44)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Continuazione de 'L'alienista', andrebbe idealmente letto subito dopo, per mantenersi ancora per qualche tempo dentro una sudicia, cupa e violenta New York della fine dell'800. Anche qui casi al limite dell'orrore per la squadra ideata (molto felicemente e con grande capacità) dall'autore; anche qui la Storia si mescola con la cronaca, in un quadro vivido e documentatissimo. Dalle note finali sembra che C. abbia avuto qualche problema di salute (mentale) durante la lunghissima stesura dei due libri, e che abbia rischiato di assumere lo stile omicida di qualcuno dei suoi personaggi... ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
I love the cast of characters. Fantastic sequel! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
After really enjoying the first book, [b:The Alienist|40024|The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1)|Caleb Carr|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169386132s/40024.jpg|2266643], when I came across a sequel, I was stoked!! And I wasn't disappointed. although there were a few shaky moments at the beginning. I read The Alienist long enough ago that I didn't quite remember all the details of the characters...I think that reading them back to back would be a little more beneficial for understanding some of the subplots. However, I still enjoyed the book.

As in the first book, this turn of the century novel set in New York is full of big time players--Vanderbilt, Teddy Roosevelt, and Clarence Darrow (who, if you need a refresher was a very well accomplished lawyer, and defended Scopes in the Scopes 'Monkey' Trial--the teacher who dared to teach evolution in his class!...and I had to look that up to remember it...).

One theme remains the same: trying to solve crimes with science like fingerprinting, and other forensics (which at 1900 were very much in their infancy). The other daring move of this novel? It challenges the notion that women can be just as cruel as men...but is this something that society will accept?? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The first book in this duology, The Alienist is absolutely brilliant and I cannot recommend it enough. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the sequel.

Although the basic premise of an investigation into a female serial killer in 1897 has potential and the characters both historical and fictitious are well developed and interesting, the writing is excessively descriptive and repetitious, and the endless narration completely drowns out the plot.

With a good editor Angel of Darkness could be an exciting and fast paced read that offers some profound insight into the lives of women in the late 19th century. It is a pity that it all gets bogged down in the unrestrained word count. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Feb 19, 2014 |
"It is not having been in the dark house, but having left it, that counts" -- Theodore Roosevelt
To my mother and father
There's likely some polished way of starting a story like this, a clever bit of gaming that'd sucker people in surer than the best banco feeler in town.

Kidnapping of Senor Narcisco Linares' child.

A Spanish diplomat's wife has her baby snatched in 1890s New York and the case is given to psychiatrist Dr. Laszlo Kreizler and his young assistant who narrates the tale. The probe leads them to a nurse turned serial killer of children, including her own. By the author of The Alienist.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible