Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

Bean Trees (original 1988; edition 2001)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Info:Abacus (2001), Paperback, 232 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:American Fiction

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (1988)

Sadness is a head cold; Depression is cancer — girl leaves town + ends up with Turtle + Lou Ann — good

christinejoseph | Feb 27, 2016 |
A fast read. Action, reaction, emotional upheaval. Thought provoking. Taylor and her foundling "daughter" Turtle wind up in Tucson when their VW bug has two flat tires. A bit simplistic, but I love her writing. There's humor here, and growth, and the promise of a wonderful future. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
A young woman sets off to find a new life for herself, changing her name and finding a 3 year old Indian girl along the way. The girl's Aunt gives the baby away to keep her from further abuse from her husband. Kingsolver tells a great story with a lot of warmth and humor. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
What a fun story - I will never forget Taylor and Turtle and the car, but I can't remember much about this story except that was a lot of fun to read. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
I really needed a light and funny read after some of the heavy and gothic books I have been reading. This fit the bill perfectly. I had read this book so many years ago that I can't remember when, so it was like reading a fresh story for me.

The first sentence sets the tone for this novel perfectly: "I have been afraid of putting air in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbine's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign." How can you not fall totally in love with a book with an opening like that? The characters are sassy, down-to-earth, eccentric, and very, very real. While this one probably won't change your life, it will tug at your heart strings and make you laugh. It should also make you run to another Kingsolver book!

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Barbara Kingsolver can write. On any page of this accomplished first novel, you can find a striking image or fine dialogue or a telling bit of drama.

Barbara Kingsolverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Critt, C.J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noli, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearce, SusanAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Annie and Joe
For Ismene, and all the mothers who have lost her (10th Anniversary Edition)
I have been afraid of putting air in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbines's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign.
I mean, we've got to live in the exact same world every damn day of the week, don't we?

Meet Taylor Greet. Clear-eyed and spirited, she grew up poor in rural Kentucky with two goals: to avoid pregnancy and to get away. She succeeds on both counts when she buys a 55 Volkswagen and heads west. But by the time our plucky if unlikely heroine pulls up on the outskirts of Tucson, Arizona, at an auto repair shop called Jesus is Lord Used Tires that also happens to be a sanctuary for Central American refugees, she's "inherited" a three-year-old American Indian girl named Turtle. What follows - as Taylor meets the human condition head-on - is at theheart of this memorable novel about love and friendship, abandonment and belonging, and the discovery of surprising resources in apparently empty places.

(0-06-091554-4)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061097314, Mass Market Paperback)

Clear-eyed and spirited, Taylor Greer grew up poor in rural Kentucky with the goals of avoiding pregnancy and getting away. But when she heads west with high hopes and a barely functional car, she meets the human condition head-on. By the time Taylor arrives in Tucson, Arizona, she has acquired a completely unexpected child, a three-year-old American Indian girl named Turtle, and must somehow come to terms with both motherhood and the necessity for putting down roots. Hers is a story about love and friendship, abandonment and belonging, and the discovery of surprising resources in apparently empty places.

Available for the first time in mass-market, this edition of Barbara Kingsolver's bestselling novel, The Bean Trees, will be in stores everywhere in September. With two different but equally handsome covers, this book is a fine addition to your Kingsolver library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:52 -0400)

Taylor, a poor Kentuckian, makes her way west with an abandoned baby girl and stops in Tucson. There, she finds friends and discovers resources in apparently empty places.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible