King Arthur and His Knights of the Round…

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table (1953)

by Roger Lancelyn Green

Recently added byCrookedLines, Amberfire287, AnythingCanBe, kviney, rstowell, private library, MrPatch, sherryearly
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome
    Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso by Charles Williams (SherryThompson)
    SherryThompson: If you enjoyed reading Roger Lancelyn Green's account of the Arthurian legends, and are ready for a challenge in reading 20th century verse written about the same time, I suggest Charles Williams' 2 small books of verse, combined here with Lewis' patient explanation of each poem in the cycle. (I always read these together, Green first. See also my review of Green.)… (more)

This was one of the books that I read aloud to Jefferson. But then someone else read him the last chapter and put it away, so I needed to go grab it and read the last chapter before I counted it. That actually happened months ago, but I didn't get around to that last chapter until just now.

Jefferson likes stories and games with knights and wizards, so I thought I should read him one of the originals. But when I started this with Jefferson, I thought I'd picked another miss, because it seemed so dry, and I thought I was going to have to put it away until he was older. But then he would ask some question that would prove he was paying careful attention, or he would leap up for a dramatic reenactment to prove that he was definitely captivated by the story.

So these stories weren't exactly what I was expecting, but Jefferson loved them. And I enjoyed becoming more familiar with the Arthurian legends. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
This book has remained 41% complete on my currently reading shelf since July 25, 2009, so clearly it's a did-not-finish. I would love to read about the escapades of Arthur and his knights, but this adaptation did not present them interestingly. ( )
  IAmChrysanthemum | Jun 8, 2013 |
First line:

~ After wicked King Vortigern had first invited the Saxons to settle in Britain and help him to fight the Picts and Scots, the land was never long at peace ~

I managed to finish [King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table] but I did not enjoy it at all. I literally slogged through most of it.

I think it was partly the old style English. The brevity of the stories bothered me. Each chapter is devoted to one mythological episode such as 'Sir Tristam and the Fair Iseult' or 'Sir Gawain and the Lady Ragnell' and these stories, to my mind, all run together with not enough character development to make me actually care about what happens to any of them. Each one basically involves one Knight killing another Knight, usually by beheading, to save the lady.

I know this is written for children but I can't imagine being able to get through this until much later in life.

There is one thing that I enjoyed about this book and that was the wood-cut illustrations which were, I thought, quite unusual ( )
  ccookie | May 4, 2012 |
A pretty basic re-telling of the Arthurian tales. Nicely organised in four sections:- The Coming of Arthur (his birth, the sword in the stone and the early days of his reign); The Knights of the Round Table (quests and so on); The Quest of the Holy Grail and The Departing of Arthur.

There is a very medieval feel to this re-telling. All the familiar characters are here and there are lovely woodcut-like illustrations by Lotte Reiniger which add to the feel. As a basic introduction to the Arthurian tales this is a good book but there is nothing spectacular about it. ( )
1 vote calm | Aug 15, 2011 |
I always read this first, in preparation for reading Charles Williams' Arthurian poetry, "Taliessin Through Logres" and "The Region of Summer Stars". However, Roger Lancelyn Green's book is great reading on its own account. Perhaps, it's because I'm a Christian--whatever the reason, Green's modern yet faithful accounts of these traditional stories affect me emotionally when I read them.
At which point, I suppose, I'm in the perfect mental state to work through Williams' complex and allusive poetry as I search for even more of the spiritual depth in the Arthurian saga. ( )
  SherryThompson | Jul 25, 2011 |

Roger Lancelyn Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beardsley, AubreyIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Byng Husband
After wicked King Vortigern had first invited the Saxons to settle in Britain and help him to fight the Picts and Scots, the land was never long at peace.

A legend is born when young Arthur meets Merlin and draws the mighty sword from its stone. This spellbinding retelling brings to life King Arthur and the adventures of his Knights, from the quest for the Holy Grail to the final tragedy of the Last Battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:15 -0400)

This classic version of the Arthurian tales gives a new insight to the golden age of Logres. From the birth of Arthur and the sword in the stone to the quest for the Holy Grail and the last battle at Camlann, the clash between good and evil is rich in mystery and excitement.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible