King Arthur and His Knights of the Round…

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table (1953)

by Roger Lancelyn Green

Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso by Charles Williams (SherryThompson)
    SherryThompson: If you enjoyed reading Roger Lancelyn Green's account of the Arthurian legends, and are ready for a challenge in reading 20th century verse written about the same time, I suggest Charles Williams' 2 small books of verse, combined here with Lewis' patient explanation of each poem in the cycle. (I always read these together, Green first. See also my review of Green.)… (more)

I really loved this book - it was such a different writing style than what I normally read. Rather than telling it like an actual story, it was more like a telling of events.
My favorite character was definitely Arthur, though I did think that as King he should have been a little bit more active instead of watching all his knights do all the work.
The end was very sad, but interesting...
WARNING! SPOILERS!
I didn't understand why Lancelot and Guinevere didn't end up together. After fighting so much to be together, at the end they just give it all up, even when they've won, and go and become monk/nuns. Even if they are ashamed of such tragedy resulting in their love - they should have stayed together.
I was fascinated by the writing style at first but as the book wore on the reading got harder. It took me a while to finish it, because at the last few chapters I got very bored of the writing style and didn't pick up the book for another week or two.
Still, despite the writing style getting a little dry, this book is definitely recommended - the best account of King Arthur I've ever come across.
  BrynnV | Nov 25, 2014 |
A children's book from the 1950's which remains evocative & relatively concise in its overview of the Arthurian myth cycle. Involving all the normal suspects & a few more, it deals with the main adventures of all the main protagonists in a somewhat dated style of writing. This, once, you've got used to it, does not detract from the pace of the narrative though, & can be quite enjoyable. Players of the RPG Pendragon will love this overviews & the breakdown of the story, I would imagine. Interesting, relatively well paced, & really quite a comprehensive beginning text for any new student of Arthurian legend, I'd say I liked this. ( )
  aadyer | Nov 16, 2014 |
This was one of the books that I read aloud to Jefferson. But then someone else read him the last chapter and put it away, so I needed to go grab it and read the last chapter before I counted it. That actually happened months ago, but I didn't get around to that last chapter until just now.

Jefferson likes stories and games with knights and wizards, so I thought I should read him one of the originals. But when I started this with Jefferson, I thought I'd picked another miss, because it seemed so dry, and I thought I was going to have to put it away until he was older. But then he would ask some question that would prove he was paying careful attention, or he would leap up for a dramatic reenactment to prove that he was definitely captivated by the story.

So these stories weren't exactly what I was expecting, but Jefferson loved them. And I enjoyed becoming more familiar with the Arthurian legends. ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
This was my first introduction to the Arthurian legends. I love Roger Lancelyn Green's books, his style is so easy to read. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Nov 11, 2013 |
This book has remained 41% complete on my currently reading shelf since July 25, 2009, so clearly it's a did-not-finish. I would love to read about the escapades of Arthur and his knights, but this adaptation did not present them interestingly. ( )
  IAmChrysanthemum | Jun 8, 2013 |

Roger Lancelyn Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beardsley, AubreyIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Byng Husband
After wicked King Vortigern had first invited the Saxons to settle in Britain and help him to fight the Picts and Scots, the land was never long at peace.

A legend is born when young Arthur meets Merlin and draws the mighty sword from its stone. This spellbinding retelling brings to life King Arthur and the adventures of his Knights, from the quest for the Holy Grail to the final tragedy of the Last Battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:15 -0400)

This classic version of the Arthurian tales gives a new insight to the golden age of Logres. From the birth of Arthur and the sword in the stone to the quest for the Holy Grail and the last battle at Camlann, the clash between good and evil is rich in mystery and excitement.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,460,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible