Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
"When boarding-school student Oscar Drai meets Marina, she promises him a mystery and takes him to a secret graveyard deep in Barcelona, where they witness a woman dressed in black lay a single rose atop a gravestone etched with a black butterfly. Their curiosity leads them down a dangerous path, and they discover a decades-old conspiracy that puts their lives in the hands of forces more sinister and mystical than they could have believed possible"--… (more)
Member:jankaldenbach
Title:Marina
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Other authors:Nelleke Geel
Info:Utrecht Signatuur 2013

Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2005)

English (76)  Spanish (7)  French (6)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (97)
I am not quite convinced by this book. Yes, it was a bit romantic, yes it was sad, and creepy and scary at times. And still it didn't get under my skin or carry me away the way other books have. I liked the three main characters Oscar, Marina and Herman, especially Herman, I must add.
Still it was a nice book :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 15, 2020 |
This was an excellent novel, and is clearly a beloved of the author's. And I can truly see why.
I feel the two connecting backstories were well told, and on par with the central story. They were very well connected.
This book seriously made me feel lonely at times, and at others, I felt the isolation of the main character...... and then incredibly sad for everyone. There was a whole rollercoaster of feels going on.

But also, this novel made me fall in love with words again.

This incredible story contained an occasional gothic undercurrent of madness, and the hint of a very twisted imagination, which blossomed into quite the climactic scene. A magical, timeless quality permeated this novel, which makes the story feel like it could be taking place in any time period at all. And such rich, descriptive prose was incredibly enjoyable to lose myself in, especially during this rainy evening spent at home. Again, I feel that Zafòn is a wizard of an author, and I crave more of his voice.

Daniel Weyman did a wonderful job narrating the story and bringing everyone to life. Each voice was distinctive and fit the character beautifully. I was never once jarred out of the story, which is one mark of a very good narrator. You have to have a certain passion and understanding of the material when you narrate an audiobook, otherwise it feels forced and flat. It’s clearly plain that Weyman has both.

I also didn’t realize that I’d gotten another YA novel, yet again. This novel is so well written, I was well over halfway through it before I realized that maybe it could be YA.....and then I just didn’t care. I’d been spellbound almost immediately, and just wanted to continue through to the very end, no matter how late this ended up being.
I’m incredibly glad that I did find this novel in my library’s audiobook section, and I may just have to go out and purchase another version for my own library..... if I can get over the utter heartbreak of the ending. (You’ve been warned. You *will* cry).

5 huge stars, and this novel is recommended to anyone and everyone. Please read this novel as soon as you possibly can. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Supongo que conocen a Carlos Ruiz Zafón [CR], estimados lectores. Hace unos años leí La sombra del viento y lo único que puedo decir es que quedé sobrecogido por el inmenso Universo literario que había creado el autor. Espectacular, estimados lectores.
Leyendo Marina, que escribió dos años antes, me encuentro con un CR que está preparando el asalto a una novela magistral, afilando sables, preparando poleas y engranajes, como el que construye una sencilla parroquia sobre la cual experimenta para construir una catedral más adelante. Ya se intuye, tanto en la trama como en la atmósfera, al CR que se avecina. De hecho, reconocemos en este libro muchas ideas, hechos y descripciones que más tarde serían incorporadas a La sombra….
Marina habla de un misterio aparentemente sobrenatural en la Barcelona de los años 70. Dos adolescentes se ven involucrados en una historia que pugna por salir del pasado donde quedó enterrada. Finalmente, llegan hasta el final del asunto, mientras a su alrededor la vida no puede hacer otra cosa que seguir su curso, jugando con nuestros protagonistas sin que le importen sus deseos o anhelos.
Qué quieren que les diga, estimados lectores. Adoro a este hombre. Me encanta cómo escribe, porque es que escribe como le da la gana. Empecé la novela una noche a las once y cuando me quise dar cuenta era la una y media, y yo al día siguiente madrugaba, qué desastre, pero al día siguiente no podía dejar de pensar en la novela. El estilo tenebroso de una Barcelona desconocida, iluminada por una luz distinta a la habitual, los personajes tan bien dibujados y la trama, a veces intuida, nos piden que sigamos leyendo.
Una cosa que odio: Dos veces que me he leído un libro de CR, dos veces que he acabado llorando. Ya le vale, joé, que entre lo bonito, lo trágico y lo grandioso me satura los niveles y me pongo a echar lágrimas. Sé que CR tiene dos libros más aún, escritos antes que éste y que La sombra del viento. Los leeré, no me cabe duda.
Mi nota: Rematadamente bueno. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
3* ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
Oscar is a fifteen year old school boy, who has met a girl called Marina and her father who is a painter of some talent. One night Marina takes him to see a strange ritual at a local graveyard, where a woman dressed in black arrived by a horse drawn coach and leaves a single red rose on a grave marked only by a black butterfly. They decide to follow her to find out who she is, and by doing so discover a shadowy secret in the catacombs and sewers of Barcelona. It takes them on a whirlwind journey through the dark underside of the city, where they confront their greatest fears, and discovery their true mettle.

Really a YA book, and is a melodramatic gothic horror, which is not my sort of thing really. There is nothing scary in the book, but there are some really creepy parts. Nicely written, as most Zafon books are, and I like the way that he manages to convey the atmosphere in the scenes perfectly. Have given it three, but 2.5 stars is more realistic.
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |

Carlos Ruiz Zafónprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pour Jaume Mateu Adrover,
dont, tôt ou tard,
le nom devait finir dans un livre,
et pour Antonio Verdasca,
dont la science pourrait en remplir
bien d'autres.
Amigo lector:
Siempre he creido que todo escritor, lo admita o no, cuenta entre sus libros algunos como sus favoritos.
If I'm ever lost, the place to look for me would be a railway station..

In May 1980, fifteen-year-old Oscar Drai suddenly vanishes from his boarding school in Barcelona. For seven days and seven nights no one knows his whereabouts.

His story begins in an old quarter of the city, where he meets the strange Marina and her father, German Blau, a portrait painter. Marina takes Oscar to a cemetery to watch a macabre ritual that occurs on the last Sunday of each month. At exactly ten o'clock in the morning, a coach pulled by black horses appears. From it descends a woman, her face shrouded by a black velvet cloak. Holding a single rose, she walks to a gravestone that bears no name, only the mysterious emblem of a black butterfly with open wings.

When Oscar and Marina decide to follow her, they begin a journey that transports them to a forgotten, postwar Barcelona - a world of aristocrats and actresses, inventors and tycoons - and reveals a dark secret that lies waiting in the mysterious labyrinth beneath the city streets.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlos Ruiz Zafón's book Marina was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,403,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible