Tintin Al Congo (Catalan) by Herge

Tintin Al Congo (Catalan) (original 1930; edition 1991)

by Herge

Series: Tintin (2)

7071113,366 (3)15
Member:Nuriyoko
Title:Tintin Al Congo (Catalan)
Authors:Herge
Info:Imprint unknown (1991), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Africa, Cómic, Tintin

Tintin in the Congo by Hergé (1930)

Recently added bysreeparna, private library, afseattle, hoksanen, electrice, beanwarrow, Roks, JeanLittleLibrary

English (7)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
This one's rather silly. In the end the treatment of animals annoyed me more than the racism, possibly because I still remembered the silly stereotypes from when I first read it, but had forgotten about the animals.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
Sadly, this is probably the most offensive Tintin Adventure that Herge produced. The natives of the Belgian Congo are drawn in the traditional minstrel show style that was popular during that time period. They are likewise portrayed as very ignorant and backwards. Furthermore, Tintin spends most of his time shooting animals left and right. Still, all that being said, there are a few classic panels of Tintin falling off of cliffs and being chased by an elephant. Sadly, the elephant gets shot and Tintin saws off its tusks and takes them as a trophy. Again, he drew this in 1930 so its not all too surprising. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Sep 20, 2013 |
The second of the Tintin adventures this one, like the first, is one I never read as a child. And I'm glad I didn't. Not political like the first one this volume is set in the Belgian Congo as it was known at the time. It is full of white European Imperialist ideas and beliefs. The native Africans are depicted with racist stereotypes and cruelty to animals abound. I see lots of 4 and 5 star "reviews" but I doubt those people have actually sat down and read this properly. Or at all.

Thankfully the next volume is the start of the newer version of Tintin and hopefully they'll get more enjoyable. ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |

It is just as bad as I feared: the Africans encountered here are stupid, illiterate, desperately aping civilisation and pathetically grateful for rule by white men; by the end of the book they are worshipping idols of Tintin and Snowy. Even more startling is Tintin's casual slaughter of large amounts of African wildlife, often as the punchline of a joke. The book's most effective single frame is a huge and enraged elephant pursuing our heroes; unfortunately the elephant gets killed off on the next page. The plot, such as it is, is supplied by a rather inefficient hitman sent after Tintin by none other than Al Capone (who appears in person in the next book). One can see the elements here that Hergé would use for his much better future work - the deadpan humour, the ligne claire style, even the bearded naval personnel - but it comes with some very unpleasant baggage here. Aren't you glad I've read it, so you don't have to? ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 23, 2011 |
A very early, very naïve Tintin adventure; improvised from one week to another by a very young author who still believed everything his editor told him, it's incoherent, prejudiced, and rather stupid. This redrawn, colourised version from 1946 is at least technically well done, but in a way it almost makes it worse: the contrast between the polished art and the decidedly unpolished script is rather jarring. Whether it's more racist than other children's books from the early 30s is not clear, but it is bad enough that Hergé himself soon found it embarrassing, and Casterman decided not to reprint it from around 1950 until a newspaper in Kinshasa wanted to run it in the early 70s.

Only three years later, Hergé started work on The Blue Lotus. The contrast couldn't be much greater ( )
2 vote awahlbom | Jan 26, 2009 |
"Goodbye, my dear Tintin. Good luck, and a safe journey!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0867199024, Hardcover)

In Tintin in the Congo, one of his earliest adventures, our intrepid reporter hunts down both criminals and wild game. The story was written in 1930 and first appeared in book form in 1931, and some of the parts are so dated that for years the book was unavailable in English. This edition reprints on black-and-white newsprint the original 1931 version. In one scene, Tintin tells a group of African children "Today, I'm going to talk to you about your country: Belgium!" When the story was updated and colorized (but not translated into English) in 1946, this became a simple lesson in addition. In addition to the colonial attitude, the Africans are portrayed as primitive, simple-minded folk ("He doesn't look very bright," Snowy opines about their guide), and Tintin reveals a brutal side by slaughtering half the wildlife on the continent (including blowing up a rhinoceros with dynamite!) and declaring while pursuing an enemy, "Sure as my name's Tintin, I'll get rid of him once and for all." Herge himself was embarrassed by much of Tintin in the Congo, and it's not a part of the regular canon, but fans who can accept it as a product of its time will enjoy seeing their hero in one more adventure, one that provides a jumping-off point for the much-better-known Tintin in America. --David Horiuchi

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:18 -0400)

Young reporter Tintin and his faithful four-legged companion Snowy have set off on an assignment to Africa. But a sinister stowaway follows their every move, and they will also have to face witch doctors, hostile tribesmen and boa constrictors before they can solve the mystery and get their story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,663,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible