Tintin Al Congo (Catalan) by Herge

Tintin Al Congo (Catalan) (original 1930; edition 1991)

by Herge

Series: Tintin (2)

Member:Nuriyoko
Title:Tintin Al Congo (Catalan)
Authors:Herge
Info:Imprint unknown (1991), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Africa, Cómic, Tintin

Tintin in the Congo by Hergé (1930)

The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Tintin and his adventures in the Congo make an appearance in the Rabbi's Cat. It's a moving story, well worth looking into. Tintin makes his appearance bumbling through the forests and slaughtering everything in his path in the fifth and final story in the series, which is, for the English translation, contained in 'the Rabbi's Cat 2' rather than this one. It's worth starting here, however.… (more)

English (9)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Even the best Tintin stories are, to me, speeding towards irrelevance. Hergé's writing is confusing -- written for kids, his plots are propelled forward by exposition dialogue describing everything happening in the artwork, with overly-political plotlines and a vocabulary far beyond the target grade level. I liked following the art when I was a youngster, but most of the stories bored me and still bore me.

Tintin in the Congo is as ridiculous as its reputation. After his earliest exploits in the Soviet Union circa 1929, Tintin lands on Africa's shores to unanimous acclaim from every 1930s racist caricature imaginable. His adventures there follow the attitude of this uncomfortable encounter:

Tintin wanders what I presume is the modern DRC killing every animal in his path and acting out the white savior to every African. He and his dog are made chiefs of two different tribes in one day. His English car gets hit by an African-made train, and the train simply collapses from how poorly-built it is. All the Africans in said train are lazy and refuse to help clean up the mess because Africans are lazy. He kills an elephant for its tusks. He kills an entire family of gazelle for a gag. He wows a tribe with white innovations like moving pictures and audio recordings. He stops American criminals from turning Africa into another Chicago.

It's ridiculous.

It's also a fast read, and utterly fascinating for how terribly antiquated it is. If you're an older fan of Tintin and feeling the curious itch I felt, I think I'd actually recommend it for curiosity's sake. ( )
  rickyrickyricky | Jun 19, 2016 |
I'm still waiting to see if the Tintin from the cartoons is going to show up. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
This one really shows the time it was written. Full of racist stereotypes and big game hunting. I am glad that Hergé himself was embarrassed by this book in later life. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jan 23, 2016 |
This one's rather silly. In the end the treatment of animals annoyed me more than the racism, possibly because I still remembered the silly stereotypes from when I first read it, but had forgotten about the animals.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
Sadly, this is probably the most offensive Tintin Adventure that Herge produced. The natives of the Belgian Congo are drawn in the traditional minstrel show style that was popular during that time period. They are likewise portrayed as very ignorant and backwards. Furthermore, Tintin spends most of his time shooting animals left and right. Still, all that being said, there are a few classic panels of Tintin falling off of cliffs and being chased by an elephant. Sadly, the elephant gets shot and Tintin saws off its tusks and takes them as a trophy. Again, he drew this in 1930 so its not all too surprising. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Sep 20, 2013 |
"Goodbye, my dear Tintin. Good luck, and a safe journey!"
This is the 1946 redrawn and colourised version of "Tintin in the Congo" (Tintin in Congo). Please, do not combine it with the 1931 original black and white version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0867199024, Hardcover)

In Tintin in the Congo, one of his earliest adventures, our intrepid reporter hunts down both criminals and wild game. The story was written in 1930 and first appeared in book form in 1931, and some of the parts are so dated that for years the book was unavailable in English. This edition reprints on black-and-white newsprint the original 1931 version. In one scene, Tintin tells a group of African children "Today, I'm going to talk to you about your country: Belgium!" When the story was updated and colorized (but not translated into English) in 1946, this became a simple lesson in addition. In addition to the colonial attitude, the Africans are portrayed as primitive, simple-minded folk ("He doesn't look very bright," Snowy opines about their guide), and Tintin reveals a brutal side by slaughtering half the wildlife on the continent (including blowing up a rhinoceros with dynamite!) and declaring while pursuing an enemy, "Sure as my name's Tintin, I'll get rid of him once and for all." Herge himself was embarrassed by much of Tintin in the Congo, and it's not a part of the regular canon, but fans who can accept it as a product of its time will enjoy seeing their hero in one more adventure, one that provides a jumping-off point for the much-better-known Tintin in America. --David Horiuchi

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:59 -0400)

Young reporter Tintin and his faithful four-legged companion Snowy have set off on an assignment to Africa. But a sinister stowaway follows their every move, and they will also have to face witch doctors, hostile tribesmen and boa constrictors before they can solve the mystery and get their story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,589,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible