500 Great Books by Women: A Reader's Guide…

500 Great Books by Women: A Reader's Guide (1994)

by Erica Bauermeister, Jesse Larsen, Holly Smith

217None53,572 (3.94)11

This is a fine collection of recommendations of works by women authors. I truly enjoyed this. My only complaint would be that I have quite a few titles added to my wishlist! Now to track them all down... ( )
  VirtualWord | Oct 20, 2011 |
Was hoping for an updated version . I've read about 50 of the 500 and look forward to discovering many more. Like the index divisions and the variety of writers represented ( )
  bibefile | May 18, 2010 |
Like the title says: 500 books written by women, organized into categories like Art, Mothers and Mothering, Conflicting Cultures, and Work (21 categories in total). The types of books recommended are delightfully varied: novels, short stories, essays, memoir, spanning time and location. An effort is made to include minority authors as well as lesser known works by great authors although many standards are included. The reviews are trenchant and meaty, summarizing the plot and the reason for inclusion in the chapter. One of the criteria for inclusion in this book was availability--the authors only recommended books that were in-print when this book was published (1994). Sadly, 10 years later, many of these books are out-of-print and difficult to find--my one complaint. There are nice indices included that sort the books into other categories: date, genre, region, even sexuality or race. Unfortunately, it does not appear this volume will be updated and reissued, but even now, it is a lovely resource for someone looking for a good book. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Mar 31, 2009 |
Great reference. Found some interesting titles in this book and have read several of them. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Mar 25, 2008 |
A friend in the States sent me this when she knew I belonged to a reading group. I have dipped into it a few times but can't say I have used it regularly. A high preponderence of American authors. ( )
1 vote herschelian | Jan 23, 2006 |

Erica Bauermeisterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larsen, Jessemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Hollymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140175903, Paperback)

An indispensable and extremely well-organized treasure map to literature by women. Contains brief reviews of 500 books by women, and seven cross-referenced indexes to identify books by author, title, genre, topic, and even country of book content. Highly recommended!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:28 -0400)

Often poorly represented in buyers' guides, women's books are now covered in this articulate and intentionally eclectic reader's guide. Covering a wealth of remarkable novels, narratives, biographies, and more, this resource for general readers offers more than 500 entries--capturing the flavor of each book. Includes seven cross-referenced indexes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible