Epic by Conor Kostick

Epic (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Conor Kostick

4062826,236 (3.89)1 / 15
Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Epic
Authors:Conor Kostick
Info:Viking Juvenile (2007), Hardcover, 384 pages

Epic by Conor Kostick (2004)

I think I would've enjoyed this book more if it stuck with the main character, Eric's point of view. And I know I would've enjoyed it more had it not had a tendency to skip important things.

This is a colonized world where they enter a game to solve conflicts and run their economy and government. Eric and his friends have to pass some sort of graduation test. But this all happens off-camera, and you never even learn exactly what was involved in that! There were other things where things happened in the 'real world', but again, off camera, and not even mentioned until in retrospect or you were just supposed to guess.

There were also a few plot holes that I just couldn't gloss over. Like it's clear that traveling in the virtual world takes time, no matter who you are. But then a character does a whole bunch of things in disparate locations in the game, and nobody communicated with each other outside the game while he was doing this. (To be more detailed would be a spoiler.)

And we never even get a hint of where this game resides or who maintains the equipment, etc. That was, perhaps, not relevant, but it did bug me by the end.

There is a sequel, so maybe this last point gets raised and explained more, but there's no hope for the rest of it. And I don't know if I'm invested enough in the characters or the world to try the sequel. ( )
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
Following yet another death in Epic, Erik creates a new character. On a whim, he chooses a female form, allots all her aptitude points to beauty, and chooses an unusual character class: Swashbuckler. Such an unusual character makes Epic into a whole new game--which is exactly what Erik needs, if he’s going to slay the second dragon in Epic’s history and challenge the Central Allocation government to release his father from exile.

A ton of easy read-alikes for this one--The Roar (Clayton), Vande Velde's User Unfriendly or Heir Apparent, For the Win (Doctorow)--and those are just the obvious, video-gamey ones.

Engrossing plot, weak writing that seems like a bad translation--some phrasing is just too precise, sometimes a little turned around--even though I don't think it's a translation. But I can see boys really taking to this one, if they're not daunted by the 350 page count. A page-turner, but I feel like I've read the basic story before. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Pretty good. I don't know why, but about half way through I lost interest and set this one aside for a while. There's a lull in the middle of the book that went on a little too long for me. However, I'm glad I picked it up--it gained speed again quite nicely and had a good bit of action. I will probably pick up the sequel, Saga, sometime because the opposite perspective in that one (from the view of the AI) sounds interesting. ( )
  ajhackwith | Jan 3, 2013 |
I feel like snippets were missing. It was a great idea, and I enjoyed most of the book, but I really felt like Kostick couldn't think of anything to write, so he's just skip big portions. For instance, the heroes in the novel are practicing Epic for a tournament. Then a few chapters go by about something else, and the nest thing you know, they won the tournament... ummm? How? When? Etc. ( )
  ABookVacation | Nov 12, 2011 |
A very enjoyable book and highly recommended. Epic is a tale that is fun with the MMORPG aspects of the book, but at the same time has a strong philosophical undertone that asks important questions about democracy, violence, and values. If there is to be one quirk however, I'd have to say that the lead to the ending and the ending itself did not really feel as relevant and instrumental to end point. No cause and effect. However, considering that this is the author's first novel, it has alot of be commended for and again I would highly recommend it. ( )
  timothyl33 | Jul 28, 2011 |
A sea mist had coated the window of the farm's kitchen with minuscule drops of rain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142411590, Mass Market Paperback)

Welcome to a society governed through computer games!

On New Earth, society is governed and conflicts are resolved in the arena of a fantasy computer game, Epic. If you win, you have the chance to fulfill your dreams; if you lose, your life both in and out of the game is worth nothing. When teenage Erik dares to subvert the rules of Epic, he and his friends must face the Committee. If Erik and his friends win, they may have the key to destroying the Committee’s tyranny. But if they lose . . .

Watch a QuickTime trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:30 -0400)

On New Earth, a world based on a video role-playing game, fourteen-year-old Erik persuades his friends to aid him in some unusual gambits in order to save Erik's father from exile and safeguard the futures of each of their families.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible