Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons: A Journey to…

by Gerald Durrell

Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons: A Journey to the Flora and Fauna of a Unique Island is the entertaining story of Gerald Durrell's experience on Mauritius in the Indian Ocean where he collected rare specimens for his animal sanctuary. The Dodo had already vanished from the island and by the 1970s many more species were going the way of the Dodo.

Durrell's tales are entertaining and funny. His description of the Jak fruit as "an obscene green fruit, covered with knobs and looking rather like the corpse of a Martian baby" sent me into hysterics. My husband and I had just seen one at Kroger two days before I read this description. The Jak was meant to lure the Golden Bats and had a pungent smell "vaguely reminiscent of a putrefying body." And the produce man told us it tasted like "Juicy Fruit" gum. Glad we were not tempted.

After several delays, which involved Durrell's team eating the bat fruit before it spoiled and buying more, the team finally landed on Rodriguez island. That evening the mosquitoes attacked. "I'm rather glad we came really, I would hate to think of all these mosquitoes going hungry," remarked one of the party. "Yes it's a form of conservation, really," Durrell replied.

The party contended with other invasions as well, by giant land snails that invaded their tent and ate their food and baby Shearwaters that invaded their beds.

The descriptions of Mauritius's flora, fauna, and coral reefs are vivid and gorgeous. My favorite chapter was The Enchanted World on the coral reefs. The writing is evocative and lovely as Durrell describes experiencing the overwhelming life and color of the reef. You understand his enchantment.

As I read this chapter I experienced a tightness in the pit of my stomach, fearful that these teeming reefs are dying like reefs all over the world. I checked it out. The reef is suffering from higher temperature water due to El Nino events and is also impacted by a billion tourists a year and the agricultural runoff from the island.

Mother Earth is losing her children from human impact and climate change. Durrell strove to save species from extinction. I am glad to have read his memoir and learned about his work.

I thank the publisher for the free ebook through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review. ( )
  nancyadair | Apr 25, 2017 |
I really enjoy Durrell's books. Both for the adventures and the education he provides. This one was short, a very quick read. Written later in his life, it concentrates a bit more on the conservation aspects than his earlier works. I have to wonder what it would have been like to have accompanied him on his adventures. Just the thought will provide me with many hours of daydreaming! ( )
  1Randal | Feb 2, 2017 |
Short and sweet.

The target this time is Mauritius and the neighbouring Round island. the Dod last lived in Mauritius and as it's the symbol of Durrell's preservation program he decided that some of the other endagered animals on Mauritius shoudl be amoung the first to benefit from active preservation. This was in the late 70s!

His particular targets were the Pink pigeons and Golden bats of the title, plus a few skinks and snakes. As usual Gerald and companions and native assistants venture into the untamed - or at least poorly tracked, wilds in search of rare creatures. Being rare, they are't easily found and instead Gerald has enconters with other creatures of which most disgustingly described is an invasion of land snails. There's also an entire chapter detailing the fascinating creatures that can be observed whiel snorkling off the local reefs - nothing at all to do with Gerald's purposes there, just local colour: and jealously inspiring.

Considering that the whole expedition was over 4 months and there was a follow up a year later, it really is a remarkably short book. One would have expected many more incidents to have to come to light over that time. But what there is, is good typically humourous Durrell fare. ( )
  reading_fox | Feb 2, 2009 |
This is for Farida and Wahab
whose kindness and hospitality
sum up the whole charm of
Mauritius
When you are venturing into a new area of the world
for the first time, it is essential—especially if you are
an animal collector—that you do two things.

Travel to Mauritius on a quest to save endangered species with the British naturalist whose work inspired Masterpiece production The Durrells in Corfu. The green and mountainous island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean was once the home of the ill-fated dodo. The island saw many other animals vanish from its soil, and by the 1970s, numerous species were close to being eliminated. Enter Gerald Durrell. Durrell sets out on a search for bats and pink pigeons, climbing near-vertical rock faces to find Telfair's skinks and Gunther's geckos, and swimming about coral reefs with multicolored marine life. But rounding up a collection to take back with him to his animal sanctuary in the English Channel won't be easy: There are many dangers awaiting him. Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons is a delightful and inspiring adventure by the author of My Family and Other Animals, among other much-loved memoirs. This ebook features an illustrated biography of Gerald Durrell including rare photos from the author's estate.… (more)

Bello

2 editions of this book were published by Bello.

Editions: 1447214153, 1447214161

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,295,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible