Stormy by Jim Kjelgaard

Stormy (original 1959; edition 1978)

by Jim Kjelgaard

Member:Halieus
Title:Stormy
Authors:Jim Kjelgaard
Info:New York, Holiday House [c1959], softcover, 150 pp.
Tags:1970s, Classic, Fiction, Office, Animal Box, OCT_Nb

Stormy by Jim Kjelgaard (1959)

Julie by Jean Craighead George (Book2Dragon)
    Book2Dragon: These writers both have a deep love for Nature and its creatures, but do not sentimentalize either one. Both have respect for each and give a true and inviting story to all their works.

Reread recently, was somewhat disappointed. Not as good as I had remembered. ( )
  fuzzi | Jun 16, 2012 |
I read Jim Kjelaard many years ago as a pre-teen, finding Big Red a wonderful book. I picked him up again with Snow Dog, then had to read more. I found Stormy and again was kept on the edge of my seat. In fact, I had to cheat and look at the last page, I just couldn't stand it. Once I knew the end, I could continue enjoying the book. Kjelgaard is a master writer, and I don't just mean of YA books. I mean he is one of the best writers I have read. He creates characters that hold you in the palm of their hand (man and dog alike) and then builds a tension that he does not release until nearly the last few pages. I intend to go back and read all his books, especially the sequeal to Snow Dog, named Wild Trek. If you like Jean Craighead George you will love Jim Kjelgaard. ( )
  Book2Dragon | May 31, 2009 |
Another in the dog series by Jim Kjelgaard. I wish I could find the rest.

My Childhood collection represents books I remember reading and loving as a young boy. Some are orginal ones I owned, but, unfortunately, most are replacement copies from yard sales, flea markets, and used book stores. I am always on the lookout for a dozen or so, and I am always trying to remember and add new titles. --JJM, 10/15/05
1 vote | rmckeown | Oct 15, 2005 |
Among dogs, a champion is not just the one who wins first prize in a competition. He can also be a stout-hearted defender who fights for a friend's life. He can be a magnificent dog like Stormy, the huge black retriever, hero of a superb adventure of courage and loyalty by the great Jim Kjelgaard.
To Mike and Gertie Stempfhuber
"Allen Marley glanced out of the window at a cloudy, threatening sky."

Allan Marley and his father have lived together  in the untamed wilderness of the Beaver Flowage all  their lives. But when Mr. Marley is jailed because  of a bitter feud, Allan suddenly finds himself on  his own. Then he meets Stormy, an outlaw dog who  has been accused of turning on his owner. Allan  knows that the big black retriever has been  mistreated, and he works hard to win the noble dog's trust  and affection. As allies, Allan and Stormy overcome  every danger they encounter in the unpredictable  wilderness...but can their bond protect Allan from  the viciousness of his father's human enemies?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:40 -0400)

An outlaw dog and a courageous boy fight for their lives against dangerous foes.

13 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible