Lefty: Being the tale of Cross-Eyed Lefty of…

Lefty: Being the tale of Cross-Eyed Lefty of Tula and the Steel Flea (1881)

by NIKOLAY LESKOV

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All (5)
This was the first of the Little Black Classics that I obsessively imported, and both their strength and their weakness is that you are given absolutely no context, but just dropped straight into the story. I spent a bit of time floundering and wondering just what kind of story I'd wandered into, and what was up with those strange word usages, did they skimp on the translator?

Once I got my feet under me, I loved this little story, in all its farcical, tall-tale international intrigue f engineering one-upmanship. Even the odd word usages, once I had a little faith, turned out to be brilliant little very intentional playful moments.

My favorite of the LBCs so far. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
My edition of this story is the 1961 Soviet edition with lovely color illustrations, presumably printed for children. I obtained this copy 20 years later for a class at UCLA. I believe it was ordered through the UCLA bookstore or possibly from a Russian bookstore near LA's Farmer's Market. In any case it has held up remarkably well for a Soviet printed book (notorious for the poor quality of its paper and glue).

It is a well-written story from 1881 which points out both the remarkable superiority of Russian craftsmenship and the equally remarkable inhumanity shown by those in power in Russia to the artisan who accompanied the steel flea back to England. This is the second reading for me in Russian. My first reading was tortured, as I had to look up practically every other word (not realizing that Leskov used neologisims and distorted pronunciation for his narrator who was not from the educated classes) and I wrote these words in pencil everywhere. There were a lot of question marks throughout. This time the story and the narrative voice was alive for me. It was both funny and sad, but never maudlin. I'm interested in reading the English translation to see if it captures the cultural disconnection that Leskov shows to well. ( )
  Marse | Mar 5, 2017 |
Not sure if this is meant as a commentary on the Russian political system (very likely) and I just don't know enough about the history / politics of the time to understand it OR if it is just a funny story poking fun at aristocracy / political players as a whole. This is another story I really felt needed a bit of historical background would benefit. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |

The 19th century was an extraordinarily rich period for Russian literature. Among the numerous gifted and productive authors of that period is at least one that - according to my impression - is not valued and read outside Russia as much as he would deserve it: Nikolay Leskov.

His probably best work The Steel Flea (full title: The Tale of the Cross-Eyed Left-Handed Gunsmith from Tula and the Steel Flea) contains on about 50 pages everything that makes this author so interesting in a nutshell, such as: a folk-like story about an unsung Russian everyday-life hero of the past; a narrative spiced with mild irony; a playful voice that uses many neologisms that are so up to the point that many of them achieved proverbial status and found their way into everyday communication of many Russians; a not condescending sympathy of the author/narrator with the "ordinary people".

What is it about: Czar Alexander I (we are in the 1820s, more than half a century before Leskov wrote the story) is visiting England, then the technically most developed country; he is accompanied by Platov, a Cossack ataman, who represents the ordinary Russian that is proud and less easy to impress than the Czar by the display of technical superiority with which the English hosts shower their Royal guest. While the Czar views everything he sees as a sign of the hopeless inferiority and backwardness of his country, Platov makes it clear to the Czar that he thinks otherwise (ironically his opinion is confirmed in one instance much to the embarrassment of the hosts.)

As a gift, the Czar receives a tiny steel flea that can even perform a dance when properly wound up. How this complicated and perfectly crafted mechanism that can be seen properly under a strong microscope only is constructed is not revealed and leaves the Czar wondering how such a miracle of engineering was possible.

After the coronation of Alexander's brother Nikolay a few years later, the steel flea becomes a political issue. Platov, in the meantime retired, is re-activated to service in order to investigate if somewhere in Russia craftsmen can do something that even "tops" the English feat of the dancing steel insect. Platov finds in Tula a left-handed and cross-eyed craftsman who, together with several of his colleagues indeed "improves" the English invention. (You have to read by yourself how.)

In the end, the Russians have a field day to see the impressed English who cannot believe their eyes when a Russian delegation with Lefty is visiting the island. So impressed are they this time that they try to lure the nameless Lefty to stay in England; but to no avail: the man from Tula is homesick and returns to Russia, where he dies soon after his arrival as a consequence of a drinking contest with a sailor. The last important message he has and that could have change the fate of Russia is not delivered.

In the end, Leskov tells his readers:

Lefty's real name, like the names of many of the greatest geniuses, has been lost to posterity forever; but he is interesting as the embodiment of a myth in the popular imagination, and his adventures can serve to remind us of an epoch whose general spirit has been portrayed here clearly and accurately.

It goes without saying that Tula no longer has such master craftsmen as the legendary Lefty: machines have evened up the inequalities in gifts and talents, and genius no longer strains itself in a struggle against diligence and exactness. Even though they encourage the raising of salaries, machines do not encourage artistic, daring, which sometimes went so far beyond ordinary bounds as to inspire the folk imagination to create unbelievable legends like this one.

One of the things I like particularly are Leskov's neologisms that are translated quite ingeniously in the edition I had at hand. For example: the steel flea and its dance can be seen properly only when viewed under a strong microscope, or nitroscope - as the narrator says (it seems Leskov was the Godfather of nanotechnology); and when the steel flea is dancing, he is doing it in various fairiations.

Another thing I found amusing was the fact that the steel flea, a childish toy after all, becomes a state affair and the main object of national pride of two European leaders and their nations they represent; on a more serious note: how much better seem these old times to be where a Russian leader paid attention to the shoe strings of a tiny steel flea - especially considering most of the Russian leaders that came later... - !

Leskov had a difficult time as a writer in his days. The progressives viewed him as a conservative, the conservatives suspected him to be a leftist; the Slavophiles considered him as a propagandist of Western modernism, and the Westerners saw in him a romantic that was spreading nostalghia for Russia's backwardness. A writer whose work is still so fresh and who was caught between so many stools is definitely worth it to be read again.

My edition was the one from Penguin's "Little Black Classics". This series contains many (re-)discoveries; the small format and limited number of pages make it (together with the very attractive price) the perfect companion for the daily commuting routine or on other occasions. When you carry (like me) always at least one book with you to use every opportunity for reading, this is an excellent series for you. ( )
1 vote Mytwostotinki | Dec 14, 2015 |

NIKOLAY LESKOVprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gutiérrez, SaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herrero, JavierIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CareIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Emperor Aleksandr the First had finished the Council of Vienna he decided he would like to take a trip around Europe and look at the marvels in the different countries.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,354,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible