The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern by Lilian…

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (original 1967; edition 1986)

by Lilian Jackson Braun

Member:Shaundra7210
Title:The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern
Authors:Lilian Jackson Braun
Info:Jove (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:paperback-to-rplc-w-hardback, to-read

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern by Lilian Jackson Braun (1967)

Fun Mystery Books. A Little dated but no more than your average cozy mystery. A must for any cat-lover! ( )
  empress8411 | May 25, 2018 |
A fun mystery with Mr. Jim Qwilleran or just Qwill to his friends moving away from coverage of the art world and delving into the world of interior design. Absolutely hysterical as Qwill learns that one "never call draperies drapes." Then there's the star of Qwill's world, the ever-handsome, ever-wonderous brilliant Siamese Koko and how Koko orchestrates the arrival of a special new resident to share their living quarters.

I have read some of these mysteries "out of order" but to enjoy learning the backdrop/history of Qwill and characters adds a special delight to the reading pleasure of this series! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Hop in my time machine back to 1967. A place where you don't have cell phones, the internet, and it's perfectly acceptable to smoke a pipe. People still read newspapers to get their news. Meet Jim Qwilleran, old-time investigative reporter now taking on the interior designer beat. Meet Koko, Siamese cat and crime fighter. Together they stick their noses where they don't belong and save the day. And in the end, they bring pretty lady Yum Yum into the family and everyone is happy.

These books are dated, for sure. But I like Qwill and his crime fighting kitties. I read these books back in the early '90s and while the mystery is simplistic they are still an enjoyable hour or two diversion. I think the series really hits its stride when Qwill relocates to Moose County, so if you start at the beginning, stick with it. There are lots of books in the series if you like it. Cute and harmless. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Journalist Jim Qwilleran is pulled from the art beat and given the assignment of a new feature magazine with the theme of interior decorating. Of course, a couple of people in the decorating world are murdered and a valuable jade collection goes missing the day after being featured in the magazine. Even though he's repeatedly told to stay out of it, Qwill is on the case with the assistance of his stunningly intelligent, and possibly prescient Siamese cat, Koko.

I'm enjoying the development of Qwilleran's character and his relationship with Koko. Qwill's appreciation for and accommodation of his new companion is adorable.The mystery seemed little predictable, but it's also possible that I read this book when I was a kid and therefore halfway remember it (I kinda don't think so, though). Anyways, these are pretty quick reads, so I'll keep going through the series. ( )
  EmScape | Jul 31, 2017 |
First line
~Jim Qwilleran prepared his bachelor breakfast with a look of boredom and distaste, accentuated by the downcurve of his bushy moustache~

Nice second installment of this series. Quick, light read. The mystery is really secondary to getting to know Qwill, Koko and Yum Yum. I liked this one better than the first since it had more of Koko in it and I love cats! The characters are also becomming more developed. I'm enjoying this series and am on to Book 3.

3.5 stars ( )
  ccookie | Jan 20, 2016 |

Lilian Jackson Braunprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jim Qwilleran prepared his bachelor breakfast with a look of boredom and distaste, accentuated by the downcurve of his bushy moustache.

Jim Qwilleran is not exactly overwhelmed by his new assignment for the Daily Fluxion. Interior design has never been one of his specialties and now he's supposed to turn out an entire magazine on the subject every week! But the first issue of Gracious Abodes is barely off the presses when Qwilleran find himself back more familiar territory - [the exclusive residence featured on the cover has been burglarized and the lady of the house found dead....

Now Qwilleran and Koko - the brilliant Siamese - have their respective mustache and whiskers twitching, and when Koko starts pawing clues in teh dictionary and sniffing designer furniture, Qwilleran finds himself doing a feature on a very clever murderer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515087122, Mass Market Paperback)

Jim Qwilleran is not exactly overwhelmed by his new assignment for the Daily Fluxion. Interior design has never been one of his specialties and now he's supposed to turn out an entire magazine on the subject every week! But the first issue of Gracious Abodes is barely off the presses when Qwilleran finds himself back on more familiar territory--the exclusive residence featured on the cover has been burglarized and the lady of the house found dead...now Qwilleran and Koko--the brilliant Siamese--have their respective moustache and whiskers twitching, and when Koko starts pawing clues in the dictionary and sniffing designer furniture, Qwilleran finds himself doing a feature on a very clever murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

With the assistance of his siamese cat, Jim Qwilleran is able to piece together the clues left behind by the killer of a local socialite.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,597,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible