If This Is a Man and The Truce by Primo Levi

If This Is a Man and The Truce (original 1947; edition 1991)

by Primo Levi

Title:If This Is a Man and The Truce
Authors:Primo Levi
Info:Little, Brown Book Group (1991), Paperback, 400 pages

If This Is a Man and The Truce by Primo Levi (1947)

English (15)  Italian (2)  All languages (17)
I found this book to be a painful and heart-breaking read but also very moving and powerful. Primo Levi's first person narrative shows us the dark side of our nature and grabs you as soon as you start reading. His writing is somewhat poetic and transports you as he tells the story of his will to survive and persevere. This book should be read by anyone interested in history of life in a German concentration camp. A very touching story. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Half-read. Didn't start The Truce. Was too bummed out with work, reading about the holocaust in my spare time as well didn't help. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Dec 25, 2015 |
Everyone should have to read this. The title "If This is a Man" can be read in two ways: the Nazis could only treat the Jews in this way by pretending they were not human, "untermenschen". But if these Nazis are men, how can they behave in such an inhuman way?
  PollyMoore3 | Jan 28, 2015 |
Primo Levi was a 24 year old Italian Jew when he was sent to Auschwitz in February of 1944, with 650 other Italian Jews. He survived there for almost a year: in January of 1945, the camp was abandoned by the Germans, and shortly thereafter the Red Army liberated the camp. Only 20 others in his group survived with him. This book records his experiences in Auschwitz in clear, measured, and horrifyingly evocative prose. The camp was designed to grind all self-respect, all morality, all honor and all love out of its inmates. Amazingly, given the constant cruelty and deprivation to which the inmates were subjected, it did not always succeed. Levi survived because another man brought him soup every day, without thought of gain: Levi says of him "This was a man". So too was Levi, who retained the ability to think of others throughout his ordeal. This is a very hard book to read, but it should be read. It shows vividly what is worst about humanity, and also shows how goodness can -- occasionally -- survive that worst. ( )
  annbury | Mar 17, 2014 |
I'm so glad I read this, and yet it's hard to say I "enjoyed" it, due to the subject matter, however, what I can say is this book is an important one to read, as it tells a different story from that which we usually hear about life and death in the concentration camps. Primo Levi survived 11 months and this book explains just what he had to do in order to survive, and his long journey home after the war had ended. I learned so much from reading this, which I believe was the author's intention. ( )
  shirleybell | Sep 26, 2013 |

Primo Leviprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bench, CarolineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chagall, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, StuartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If this is a man: I was captured by the Fascist Militia on 13 December 1943.
The truce: In the first days of January 1945, hard pressed by the Red Army, the Germans hastily evacuated the Silesian mining region.
Includes two works: If This Is a Man (US: Survival in Auschwitz) and The Truce (US: The Reawakening).

Very heavy R/R. on remaining copies; the Truce is the story of Levi's 20 months in Auschwitz, now a major new film; the first is also a Holocaust memoir by the industrial chemist and author.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,786,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible