Gyo, Volume 2 by Junji Ito

Gyo, Volume 2

by Junji Ito

Series: Gyo (2)

I found the first volume of GYO pretty thrilling and was eager to move onto the second one as soon as I completed it. As far as technical things go -- the quality of the writing, the art, etc. -- everything in volume two was just as good as volume one if not better. There are certainly more scenes on volume two that lend themselves better to more detailed artwork and the gruesome, atmospheric, gaseous scenes were particularly good.

Unfortunately, the story starts to trail away at times. I found the circus scene kind of silly and typical, and all of the mysterious buildup kind of fizzles out by the end and you're left with a kind of anticlimactic feeling.

Were it not for the other two shorts included at the end of the volume, I might have knocked the rating of volume two down a notch, but as it stands "The Sad Tale of the Principal Post" and "The Enigma of Amigara Fault" are incredible and increase the overall quality of the book.

"Principal Post" is EXTREMELY short at only four pages, but packed with mystery. It's possibly the most chilling of the tree stories in GYO. To explain anything about it at all, at its length, would be to give too much away -- but it's incredible and disturbing.

I had actually read "The Enigma of Amigara Fault" online prior to owning GYO, but I was delighted to read it again (and finally have it in my home!) because it was that good. The story follows a discovery of many peculiar human-shaped holes on the side of a mountain following an earthquake. It's completely unexpected and it made me uneasy for weeks. Even now, recalling it makes me kind of uncomfortable. It's probably the best horror manga I've read to date, especially considering its short length. Highly recommended. ( )
  vombatiformes | Mar 12, 2014 |

Trapped on an island filled with the stench of mutating bodies, can teenager Tadashi save his girlfriend from a fate worse than death? Or will the cure prove worse than the disease?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,735,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible