The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian…

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (original 1966; edition 2003)

by Lilian Jackson Braun

Member:TribalCat
Title:The Cat Who Could Read Backwards
Authors:Lilian Jackson Braun
Info:Berkley Trade (2003), Paperback, 256 pages

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun (1966)

Qwilleran, a reporter, has taken a job writing an art column at a newspaper, though he knows nothing about art. He moves in underneath another art reporter who has a Siamese cat who he says reads the newspaper… backwards. Qwilleran often ends up taking care of the cat, Koko. Some time after Qwilleran has met and interviewed the owner of a local art gallery, that owner is murdered.

Have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I kept wondering where the cat from the title was! He was introduced about 1/3 of the way in to the book. Then, his name (Kao Ko-K-something); sadly, when I want to shorten a long name like that, I tend to use initials – not so good in this instance. The main character, luckily, shortened it to Koko, but every time I saw the name written out entirely, my head went to KKK. Then, the murder didn’t happen until ½ way through the book. By then, I was also questioning whether or not this was actually a mystery of some type! Anyway, I thought it took too long to get going. Once the murder finally happened, it got a bit more interesting, but I’m going to leave it as “ok” and I don’t have current plans to continue the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 16, 2018 |
The mystery was better than I feared it would be. Koko's clues were very neatly woven in. Did koko know? Or was it coincidence that he led Qwilleran to the right clues? The reader can't be sure, which lends the story the charming possibility of a cat that can read, without insisting on it.

Mr Guidall read the novel beautifully, of course. I adore his narration every time I hear it :)

hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
This is a quite amusing book. I really enjoy seeing the start of the detective duo, Koko & Qwilleran. I can't say that it's my favorite cozy mystery, though, because parts of the style of it are a little dated. However, from what I've read, the author started this series and then took a hiatus before restarting the series. I enjoyed the later Cat Who books I read a lot, so I'm guessing that the early books will just feel a bit... older than the ones I'm familiar with.

But, don't take this as dislike for the book. I really enjoyed it. I'm giving it 4 stars, but those are a solid 4 stars. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
This book is a fun, fast read, that reminds me a bit of the TV series State of Play. This novel has a journalist on the art beat stumbling on several linked murders in the course of his seemingly easy new job. The story is well paced, and while the characters are a bit flat, for a short novel they are pretty decent. The artists in this story were pretty realistic, at least, and reminded me of people I knew in art school. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
From my own reading records, it appears that I discovered this series in 2013 and then read #4, #5, #6, and #7 over a 3-month period of time 24-Feb to 24-Apr. In review of #5, I shared the following:

"I so enjoy Mr. Jim Qwilleran or just Qwill to his friends, and his cats, Koko and Yum Yum. It's a light, fun read and I think I enjoyed this adventure even more than the last one I read, The Cat Who Saw Red. If you love cats and adventures, this is a "don't miss" series of fun! Enjoy, I'm ready to find the next title!" :)

Now I've had the opportunity to read the 1st novel in the series and what a special delight to learn how Jim initially met Koko and the beginning of their life adventures in their shared pleasure of reading to solving murders. I can't wait to "catch up" now and read #2 and #3 and then continue on my way through even more titles in the series. They're a refreshing joy to read. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |

Lilian Jackson Braunprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lax, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oksala, MaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jim Qwilleran, whose name had confounded typesetters and proofreaders for two decades, arrived fifteen minutes early for his appointment with the managing editor of the Daily Fluxion.

Jim Qwilleran used to be a brilliant reporter. But life got too rough and he took to the bottle. Dry now, he is trying to get back into the game he has loved since grade school.
An old friend, now editor at the Daily Fluxion gave him a chance, and the cat-hating gypsy living out of hotel rooms and cars is conscripted to cat-sit for a crumudgely fellow reporter.
But what is going to happen to Ka' Kai Kung (KoKo) when his master is found dead?
    ---------------------------------------

The world of modern art is a mystery to many. But for Him Qwilleran it turns into a mystery of another sort when his assignment to cover the art beat for the Daily Fluxion leads down the path to murder. A stabbing in an art gallery, vandalized paintings, a fatal fall from a scaffolidng -

This is not at all what  Qwilleran expects when he turns his reportorial talents to art. But now Qwilleran and his newly found partner, KoKo the brilliant Siamese, are back in their element - sniffing out clues and confounding criminals intent on mayhem and murder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515090174, Mass Market Paperback)

The world of modern art is a mystery to many. But for Jim Qwilleran, it turns into a mystery of another sort when his assignment to the art beat for The Daily Fluxion leads down the path to murder. A stabbing in an art gallery, vandalized paintings, a fatal fall from a scaffolding--this is not at all what Qwilleran expects when he turns his reportorial talents to art. But Qwilleran and his newly found partner, Koko the brilliant Siamese, are back in their element--sniffing out clues and confounding criminals intent on mayhem and murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:47 -0400)

Former award winning news reporter Jim Qwilleran is assigned to the art world as his new news beat. When a murderer sicks a knife in the neck of a local gallery owner and goes berserk among the works on show, Qwilleran gets help from his Siamese cat solving the mystery.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,124,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible