The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy…

The Inner Game of Tennis

by W. Timothy Gallwey

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (jochenB)
    Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel (jochenB)
    jochenB: similar topic. of course, taking archery as an example.

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
This book isn’t a routine pep talk. It’s an entertaining and practical discussion of how the mind affects athletic performance. Highly readable and engaging! ( )
  Oliver-Eisler | Aug 24, 2013 |
Self #2, please let self #1 play. ( )
  jpsnow | Apr 13, 2008 |
I loved this book. Though I read it many, many, many years ago, its premise has applied well in tennis, in learning dance choreography, basketball, Tae Kwon Do and even interviewing! It's true, our subconscious sometimes doesn't know the difference between actually doing something and rehearsing in our minds. This is an effective tool and technique applicable in many areas of life. I'm rating from memory, of course, as it has been probably 20 or more years since my first reading of this book, but its premise remains within my arsenal of life techniques and winning strategies. ( )
1 vote mkstansbery | Apr 1, 2008 |
Be still, my mind, and start to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you. Do not let the habit of measuring things up encroach on your measuring human worth. You do not have to prove yourself to anybody, including yourself. See things for what they are. Be in the moment. Do not be uptight in self-improvement. Trust thyself, learn to let go. -- A fabulous must-read book. ( )
  Kanutz | Jan 27, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679778314, Paperback)

A phenomenon when first published in 1972, the Inner Game was a real revelation. Instead of serving up technique, it concentrated on the fact that, as Gallwey wrote, "Every game is composed of two parts, an outer game and an inner game." The former is played against opponents, and is filled with lots of contradictory advice; the latter is played not against, but within the mind of the player, and its principal obstacles are self-doubt and anxiety. Gallwey's revolutionary thinking, built on a foundation of Zen thinking and humanistic psychology, was really a primer on how to get out of your own way to let your best game emerge. It was sports psychology before the two words were pressed against each other and codified into an accepted discipline.

The new edition of this remarkable work--Billie Jean King called the original her tennis bible--refines Gallwey's theories on concentration, gamesmanship, breaking bad habits, learning to trust yourself on the court, and awareness. "No matter what a person's complaint when he has a lesson with me, I have found the most beneficial first step," he stressed, "is to encourage him to see and feel what he is doing--that is, to increase his awareness of what actually is."

There are aspects of psychobabble and mysticism to be found here, sure, but Gallwey instructs as much by anecdote as anything else, and time has ultimately proved him a guru. What seemed radical in the early '70s is now accepted ammunition for the canon; the right mental approach is every bit as important as a good backhand. The Inner Game of Tennis still does much to keep that idea in play. --Jeff Silverman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:21 -0400)

Concentrates upon overcoming mental attitudes that adversely affect tennis performance, including learning to relax, effectively concentrating, and discarding bad habits.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,631,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible