Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (1972)

by Judith Viorst

Alexander wakes up in the morning with gum in his hair and on his way to wash it off he trips over something. Then he doesn't get the window seat in carpool. He doesn't get dessert for lunch. he got bullied and teased by his friends on the playground. he has to get his cavity cleaned and removed and has to eat lima beans for dinner. He had a bad dinner and what was on the tv was bad.then alexanders mom tells him that some people just have days like that.

I like this book because it gives a perspective from which i child could notice how bad his day is going. i can relate with alexander because sometimes i have bad days too. when alexander doesn't get what he wants he usually gets mad and i think that some people are like that. when someone picks on me or makes me mad i usually either leave and cry or get even more mad. Alexander really struggled and i feel like a lot of people that read this book don't actually see how bad it is until they actually see it. when alexander wakes up he has gum in his hair and didn't sleep comfortably i fell like alexander should really go to sleep earlier and tell his mom. alexander has never gone threw one of these days and when he does again at least he knows what to expect. ( )
  ia.G3 | May 30, 2019 |
Illustrations are true to life drawings of a little boy as he goes through his day. Text explains all the things that go wrong on Alexander's "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." Good for preschoolers who also have days when things just don't seem to go right.
  AlRagan | May 12, 2019 |
x2
  hcarlson6218 | May 8, 2019 |
I feel like Alexander was being ignored the entire day but I couldn’t tell if he was being pesty or annoying to those in his environment. Then I realized how much children go through in a day and I felt so bad for him. Even the simple thing of not having a dessert for lunch was huge to home because all of his friends had something. This made me want to pay more attention to the little ones around me. ( )
  RavenM12 | May 3, 2019 |
Excellent book! So funny and cute, it tells the story of Alexander's worst day ever and how it just kept getting more terrible as the day went on. So adorable and a really great way to show kids that even when things get bad they can turn around and get better. Very relatable for young students.
  RachelLeibiger | Apr 30, 2019 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible