dismiss

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (1972)

by Judith Viorst

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

"The perennially popular tale of Alexander's worst day is a storybook that belongs on every child's bookshelf.
Alexander knew it was going to be a terrible day when he woke up with gum in this hair.
And it got worse...
His best friend deserted him. There was no dessert in his lunch bag. And, on top of all that, there were lima beans for dinner and kissing on TV!
This handsome new edition of Judith Viorst's classic picture book is sure to charm readers of all ages." -- GoodReads
  EKiddieKollege | Jul 6, 2020 |
Good for adults to read too. But it's more fun to read it to your children. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Alexander could not catch a break. He woke up to gum in his hair and no fun toy for breakfast. His day worsens when he gets to schools and finds that his best friend has new friends and lunch with no desert. He has to wear all white shoes because the shoes he chose were out of stock, he has to visit with the dentist, and destroys his father's office, but it doesn't stop there. He has to eat lima beans for dinner and sees kissing on the TV.
We all have days that just don't go well. Alexander was frustrated with the not so positive events that happened that day but he got through it. I've read this story to a kindergarten class and they loved it. I'm sure all children can relate. ( )
  Lakieshal | Apr 30, 2020 |
This is a cute book where it has constant bad things happening. I read this book because I remembered reading it as a kid. With this book we got to make our own book about our own terrible horrible bad day where we wrote and illustrated made up things for a whole day of bad circumstances. I always thought it was a fun activity that also gets kids writing.

Mirror ( )
  MeaganRodriguez | Apr 14, 2020 |
This picture book lets the reader follow poor Alexander on his really bad day, only to find out in the end that everyone has bad days. I think this a cute book to have in the younger classrooms to show kids that it is ok to have a bad day sometimes, it happens to everyone, even in Australia. ( )
  TiffanyNicole67 | Apr 6, 2020 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.
I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,955,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible