Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

This is a great book to utilize when making connections with readers. The text is incredibly dramatic and demonstrates a lot of cause and effect relationships. The author utilizes a lot of figurative language and makes the text relatable so that readers are more intrigued. The text is very interactive and easy for students to read and understand. Students in grades kindergarten and first grade could use this text as a group reading, while second, third, and fourth grade could utilize this text as an independent read.
  jthodesen01 | Feb 17, 2017 |
I would use this book in grades 3rd and 4th grade as a read aloud and a independent read. This book can be used for students to look at the pictures and infer what is happening. The book can also be used for students to retell the story and pick out key details.
  mwilcox02 | Feb 16, 2017 |
With 4th grade, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day could be used as an independent read to teach students to tell a story to support a main idea or theme. The theme would be their bad day. They would be given time to write out a sequence of events from the start to end of their day where everything goes wrong. Then they could get into groups and share with each other their Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days.
  SaraGraviss | Feb 16, 2017 |
This book could used as an interactive read-aloud for a third grade class to teach students how to look at illustrations and see how they can be used to for description in the story. This book is great to teach students about illustrations and how they can also help tell the story, not just the words. Students could draw pictures to describe their moods to tell how they are feeling like how the book helped express emotion. I could also use this book for a fourth grade class to teach students about synonyms. Students can be split up into small groups and will be given a word then they have to come up with synonyms for the word. Students will then move on to the next word and afterwards the groups of students will share to the class.
  mmccrady01 | Feb 15, 2017 |
This book could be used anywhere from kindergarten-fourth grade. In k-2, it could be used as an interactive read aloud as you ask kids about days they might have had like Alexander's. You could have them act out some of the scenes, and also have them draw how they would have felt if they were Alexander. They can see how characters differ through the emotions of Alexander and his brother, and learn retelling, which is in their standards. In 3rd and 4th grade, students can read this book independently and and brainstorm ideas of how Alexander's day could have been made better, and ask them what they would do if they or one of their friends were having a bad day like Alexander. This is good for their age because they could use it to learn theme in their standards seeing as it is simple and easy to relate to.
  tmoreland01 | Feb 15, 2017 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,451,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible