Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

naughty boy causing a ruckus kindergarten to 2nd ( )
  frannymack13 | May 4, 2017 |
Alexander knew it was going to be a terrible day when he woke up with gum in this hair. And it got worse, His best friend deserted him. There was no dessert in his lunch bag and on top of all that, there were lima beans for dinner and kissing on TV! This book has notable features such as descriptive illustrations and quirky life challenges. I would use this book as an instructional application to show the use of descriptive language. ( )
  lhoanzl | May 1, 2017 |
I love this book! It is a children's book about a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. It is very entertaining. It is a good book it talk about feelings and describing them! ( )
  Devin_Woodall | May 1, 2017 |
This book, written by Judith Viorst, helps children understand that everyone has a bad day sometimes. Alexander's day is horrible because he gets gum stuck in his hair, has to go to the dentist, does not get a seat by the window, and has to eat the worst thing ever-- lima beans. This story is good for all age children and can be used for a read aloud with a fun extension activity. ( )
  AshlynWilliams | Apr 25, 2017 |
Gum stuck in his hair signals the start of a disastrous day for 11-year-old Alexander. One calamity follows another, but when Alexander tells his family about his misadventures, he finds little sympathy. ( )
  SaraLancon | Apr 17, 2017 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,420,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible