Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

This is a great book to help students realize that everybody has bad days.
  mackenzie1992 | Feb 9, 2016 |
One thing I really admire about this book is that it makes it known that some days are really bad, and gives meaning to the saying, 'when it rains, it pours'. I feel it addresses the days that sadness and anger seem to overtake the day. It also could be a book kids can relate to in some ways. Overall, when talking about those hard emotions and days, it becomes something that students can relate to and can think of when something bad happens and to let them know that somedays may be like that. ( )
  Elizabeth_Lempola | Feb 7, 2016 |
The adult part of me, the mean spirited part, wants to ridicule Alexander for bitching about such trivial things — but really, we've all had days like that, right? Ah, the joys of collective misery. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |
This book has done wonders for students. For students who wake up on the wrong side of the bed every now and then, should read this book. It is understandable for us to be upset by little things that happen throughout the day, but it is important to control our emotions and express our feelings in a healthy manner. With the premiere of Inside Out a year ago, the discussion of mental health in children has become an important topic. Through literature, we can help students identify emotions and the proper way of executing our feelings.
  Amberechase | Dec 14, 2015 |
This was one of my favorite books to read as a child growing up. I forgot about how much I actually enjoyed this book until I revisited it now as an adult. Alexander is the epitome of grumpy children all around the world. His character is very relateable to children reading his story. He is a boy with unruly hair who goes out to face the world with the end result being in a terrible, horrible day. The illustrations in this book depict the life of a child and are relatable to their lifestyle. The black and white colors set this book apart from many other childrens books that are vibrant and vivid in color and texture. This allows the illustrations to take a different part in the story and really focuses on facial features to express messages in the book. Though some people view this book with a negative outlook because of the negative messages it may send to children, I personally love this book. It teaches children that not all of their days will be sunny and bright like many children's books present their life to be.
  mcicch2 | Dec 7, 2015 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,236,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible