Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Summary: Alexander wakes up with gum in his hair, trips on a skateboard, and drops his sweater in the sink under water. His day only goes downhill from there. Bad things continue to happen to Alexander, one right after the other, and it becomes a terrible, no good, very bad day. But at the end, his mom tells him that some days are just like that.

Personal Reaction: I liked the book a lot. It is a good way of showing kids that everybody, everywhere (“even Australia”) has bad days, and that in the end, just like Alexander, everything will be fine. He fell asleep to start a new day off better, and so can they.

Classroom Extension:
1. Have children talk about a bad day they had, describing what happened, and talking about what helped them feel better.
2. Have children talk about what would happen in their worst day, and what they might do if it happened to make it better.
  yelhsajoh | Mar 25, 2015 |
This book is about a boy who is having a bad day. He goes through the day focusing on all of the bad things that are happening to him. He compares himself to others who have it better than him, which makes his day worse. He want to move to Australia, and thinks it would be better there. In the end of the story his mom reminds him that his day could be bad in Australia just like it is here. ( )
  NatalieCJones | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary:
Alexander wakes up and immediately starts the day off bad. He goes from waking up with gum in his hair, to leaves out a number when counting, to getting soap in his eyes at bath time and all kinds of things in between. He decides he wants to move to Australia, believing that these bad things don't happen there.

Personal Reaction:
This isn't necessarily a happy book, but its good for kids to read. Not every day is going to be a good day and there isn't anything that can be done about it. Everyone has bad days, no matter where they live.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
-Students write in their journal about a bad day they have had.
-timed flash card game to remember what happened to Alexander. Example- Alexander got what in his hair? and the students have to answer as many as possible within the given time limit.
  Megan_Livsey | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary:
This is the story of a young boy named Alexander who wakes up one morning to a terrible day starting with the gum in his hair. He then goes through a series of even more horrible events such as not getting a toy in his cereal box when his brothers did. He also lost his best friend and his mother forgot to pack his dessert! Things got worse from there and when he went to bed that night, all his mom could tell him was that "some days are just like that".

My Personal Reaction:
This book was very fitting for how my day went the other day as I thought no one else could be having as bad a day as I was. I thought it was also cute to think about a child's bad day compared to mine and that in the end, they are all the same no matter the situations. A bad day comes and goes just like any other.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could write a story about a bad day we may have had at some point in our life.
2. We could do a drawing of what a bad day may be and share them around the class.
3. We could talk about ways to make someone's day better and do an art project for someone who's day we would like to make better. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Mar 24, 2015 |
Summary of Book: This book is about a little boy named Alexander. Alexander wakes up one morning and his day starts off badly. The night before he went to sleep with gum in his mouth and woke up to the gum being stuck in his hair. His mom forgets to put his snack in his lunch box. His day continues to get worse as the day progresses.

Personal Reaction: This book is a good read because many people can relate to having bad days. Some people may be having a terrible day but there will always be someone who's day is worse then yours. Always be thankful for what you have and always try to find a positive.

Extension Ideas: 1) Students can draw a picture of a bad day they have had.
2) In the students journal, have them write a few sentences of how they changed their bad day or how their bad day got worse.
  ah932109 | Mar 20, 2015 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,217,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible