Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Judith Viorst wrote this lovely children's book (illustrated by Ray Cruz) where little Alexander is having a really bad day and he just wants to escape and live in Australia.

Who hasn't had a bad day? But somehow we adults tend to believe it's something than only happens to us. With a realistic ending and less than 30 pages, this book left me thinking about how we teach our children to face bad days. Also, the movie is coming out, so that's going to be interesting!

Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
Summary

When Alexander went to sleep with gum in his mouth and woke up with it in his hair, he just knew that he was about to have a horrible day. As suspected, many things went wrong for Alexander. Things went wrong at breakfast, at school, at the dentist's office and everywhere else that he went. It made Alexander wish he could be in Australia. In the end Alexander realized that life just has some of those days even in Australia.

Critique

The book is great to teach children little lessons in life on the difference their approach to a situation can make. As I read the book I saw how Alexander like many of us - kids and adults - got just what he expected. He expected his day to be horrible and to him it was horrible but many times Alexander could have done something to change the outcome of his situation or just change his attitude toward the situation so that he would feel differently about it.

Prompts

Pg. 1 Alexander went to sleep with gum in his mouth and woke up with it in his hair. He tripped on a skateboard and got his sweater wet. What are some things that Alexander could have done differently to start his day on a brighter note?
Pg. 6 Can you see Alexander's picture of the invisible castle? What could Alexander have done for his teacher to feel better about his work?

Craft element for Mini Lesson

1. Throughout the book the author listed several experiences that Alexander had that he felt caused him to have a horrible day. Students will create a table with two columns. They will name the left column, " Alexanders Experiences." They will name the right column, "What I would have done." In the left column the y would list five of Alexander's bad experience. In the corresponding right column they would list for each problem a solution. They would either state what they would have done physically or what different attitude they would have had in that situation.

2. Compare and contrast Alexander's attitude to that of Pete the Cat in "Pete the Cat - I Love My White Shoes."
  deeprincess | Dec 8, 2016 |
This is a book about Alexander and his horrible day. From the time he wakes up until the time he goes to bed nothing goes his way. This is a great book to teach kids about having bad days and that sometimes things don't go your way. I would use this book as a way to teach kids about bad days and that everybody has them sometimes. It would be useful to connect it to a lesson about strategies for overcoming bad days or what to do when nothing seems to go your way.
  Jordan.Francies | Dec 5, 2016 |
In this book, when Alexander wakes up everything seems to go wrong. from gum in his hair, to shoes he does not want to wear, to getting soap in his eyes when he takes a bath. It seems that nothing will ever ho right for the poor kid. Will his luck change by the end of the day?
  ryleemay | Dec 1, 2016 |
By far my favorite book to read to the kids at work! Alexander's day just keeps getting worse... teach the kids that everyone has "one of those days" now and again.
k-3rd (long)
Munchkinland Childcare and Preschool ( )
  Kayleepeterson | Nov 30, 2016 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,662,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible