Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

This book is realistic fiction. This book is about Alexandar and his terrible, no good, very bad day. This story focuses on all of things that could possibly go wrong in one day go wrong in Alexander's day.
  KaylaAnn715 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I love this story! This is a great story to get children to learn to fall in love with reading. It can be implemented in the classroom on one of those 'bad days' and hopefully brighten the rest of the day up. Great story time read! ( )
  RachelBowers | Feb 24, 2015 |
I read the book “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” after I read that it was named one of the “100 Great Children’s Books” by the New York Public Library. This story is told from the first-person perspective of a little boy who is having a day filled with unfortunate events. I liked this book for many reasons. First, the author seems to use ordinary words very well. Her language is simple yet the little boy’s day is very descriptive and detailed. As a reader, you could truly imagine exactly what the little boy’s day was like. Second, I liked the main message of the story which is that everyone has bad days because we are all human. The little boy’s mom makes note of this in the last few pages. I think this is a good message for children because having bad days is a reality of everyone’s lives. I also liked this book because it includes dialogue between the little boy and other characters in the book. This keeps the book interesting and entertaining. ( )
  marmig2 | Feb 22, 2015 |
Alexander is having an awful day as soon as he rises from bed. As the school day passes it does not get any better. No one listens to him as he repeats that he is having a horrible, no good, very bad day. After school, matters only worsen when his father gets mad at him and he and his brother argue. Alexander protest that he is moving to Australia. His mother finally tells him that even in Australia he will have days like this. This book is awesome and even as an adult I can relate. On a very bad day it seems that nothing can go right and everyone is against you. I would read this to any classroom because it is relatable on any level. ( )
  SadieCooney | Feb 21, 2015 |
Poor Alexander...he's having a horrible day and sometimes that's just how it goes. This would be a great book to discuss feeling sad, angry, or bothered, and how we can handle these emotions. ( )
  EliseMT | Feb 10, 2015 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,717,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible