Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

5,874None710 (4.27)69
Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

This book is a classic and is great for teaching the moral lesson that things may not always go the way we want them to. It is also a useful tool to help inspire young writers to write. You can use it in a Writer's Workshop to show as an example of how Good Writers put their feelings down on paper. We can use Judith Viorst as an inspiration.
  CassieWells | Apr 15, 2014 |
"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." What a hilarious and great opener to this book! I loved how this book shows children that sometimes people have bad days, but to never feel alone because your day probably won't be AS bad as Alexander's! I also loved how relatable Alexander is to not only little kids, but adults too! He is constantly dealing with the little stresses such as spilling coffee all day long. As bad as you may feel for Alexander, his unfortunate situations all day really are comical! ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 10, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I thought it was pretty funny. One line that I found to be particularly funny was "At school Mrs. Dickens liked Paul's picture of the sailboat better than my picture of the invisible castle." This line is accompanied by a picture of Alexander holding a blank piece of paper and Paul next to him holding a picture of a sailboat, and it struck me as being very amusing. Another part I liked were the lines "There were lima beans for dinner and I hate limas. There was kissing on TV and I hate kissing." I, too, hate lima beans. The things that he is upset about are things that children can relate to, because they are many things that children experience in their lives, such as not having dessert in their lunch, or getting blamed for something a sibling did. Something else I liked was the end when his mother says that some days are bad days, even in Australia, where he says he wants to go multiple times throughout the book. It shows that he still has the support of his family even though they may be part of the reason why you day is so terrible. The big idea of this book is sometimes we have bad days, but we are able to get back in bed at the end of them and start over the next day. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 2, 2014 |
A book that could be used in conjuction with "I Was So Mad" or perhaps used for older students, Alexander just has a really terrible day, which everyone, young or old, can relate to. His brothers are mean to him, he has bad luck, his parents are short with him, he gets gum in his hair. Alexander is a pretty typical kid, and sometimes it may seem like a bad day will last forever. This book teaches kids that no matter how terrible your day is, there is always a new tomorrow that probably won't be as terrible as the day before. The theme of this book is that sometimes one just has to accept what comes and keep things in perspective. It may seem like it will never get better, but it will, and in the grand scheme of things, these little irritants are not really so terrible. The illustrations are mostly in black and white, which isn't the most appealing to students, though the bland colors definitely fit with the bad mood Alexander is in. ( )
  Lara.Lofdahl | Apr 1, 2014 |
I liked this story because we think most children’s picture books have to be happy, but this is the exception. However, it was still an exceptional book even though it isn’t the stereotypical picture book. Every page ends with, “a terrible, no good, very bad day.” The repetition helps remind you of the mood of the story and of Alexander. At first, I did not like that the illustrations were black and white and so simple. Then I realized that there is a purpose for that since the story is not an upbeat story. Alexander is sad the entire book because his day is going so terrible so having vibrant colored pictures would actually take away from the story and the mood the author is trying to set. The story is well organized and paced because it goes through the entire day of a young boy. Alexander wakes up, drives in the car, goes to school, has lunch in the cafeteria, goes to buy new shoes, picks his dad up at work, has dinner with his family, takes a bath then goes back to bed. Doesn’t seem like a bad day to us, but we were not in his shoes. The biggest thing I enjoyed about this story was the message. As adults, we think children have it easy and think they are crazy if they have a bad day. Alexander hated his day because he hates his railroad pajamas, hates kissing on tv, cat wont sleep with him, and he didn’t get dessert for lunch. Someone not in a child’s shoes would think they have it worse, but its all about perspective and what situation you are in. Alexander kept wishing he was in Australia and at the end his mother tells him there are bad days in Australia too. That tells us that another message was that no matter where you are; you are always going to have bad days once in a while. ( )
  SaraColvin | Mar 27, 2014 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible