Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.
  CassityE | Mar 20, 2017 |
Has a very bad day and wants to move away. Can show others how others have bad days. And just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you just up and leave.
Pierce College Library
Ages 4-8 ( )
  mnicodemus | Mar 16, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 8, 2017 |
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a contemporary realistic fiction book. I liked this story as a young child and I still enjoy it as an adult. One reason I enjoy this book is because the plot is a relatable and realistic. Adults and children are able to connect to the story because everyone experiences bad days. Student will be able to reflect on a time they had a bad day and it would help them relate to the character. Another good aspect of this book is the repetition. For example, after something bad happened to Alexander he states, “it was a no good, very bad day.” Repetition is a good way to keep your listeners and readers engaged in the story. Lastly, I also enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book. All of the illustrations were in black and white. I felt this was very fitting for the story because the plot was about having a bad day. When you have a bad day everything around you seems dark and gloomy. ( )
  OliviaLuppino | Mar 6, 2017 |
Alexander have a bad day everyday and wanted to moves to Australia but his mom says some day are like that no matter where you live. I like the book because the facial expression of the boy show very well and will used it on my teaching to show kids that we all have some bad day. It suitable for first to fourth grade.
  HsaRay | Mar 1, 2017 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,239,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible