Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Recently added byCircleSchool, TempleMenorah, adpfalzgraf, private library, Henbaben

A great story to read to younger elementary during social skills. Great book to teach about emotions.
  NiinaMariie | May 11, 2015 |
This book can be used as a mentor text for the children to be able to relate to it when coming up with ideas for writing. It can recall a time that they had a difficult day. ( )
  Kelsly93 | Apr 29, 2015 |
Well considering I read the book and saw the movie, I think its safe to say I love this story! It could be to read on the first day of school and to let your class know that no matter what goes on outside of class, to come to school knowing its okay. Everyone has bad days.
  peyrobs | Apr 29, 2015 |
I absolutely love this book and always have. This is a wonderful book to teach students that sometimes we just have terrible days and things don't go our way. This is a crucial lesson for elementary years and even a good reminder for the middle school years. This is a great book for showing character building. ( )
  RaineyNicole | Apr 29, 2015 |
Summary: The story of a young boy named Alexander who wakes up with gum in his hair, then trips over his skateboard. He knew it was going to be a bad day and it was. Everything seems to go wrong throughout Alexanders day, but at the end of the day he remembers that bad days happen to everyone and that makes him feel better. He also thought about imaginary trips to Australia throughout the day that made him forget about all the things that went wrong.

Personal reflection: I liked this book because it is very relatable for myself and I think students would connect to it. I like the moral of the story and the concepts for character building that are introduced.

Class use: I would use this if we are experiencing a bad day in the classroom and someone needs a reminder that everyone has bad days. I would also use it for discussion and ask how my students like to deal with their bad days.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 27, 2015 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,310,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible