Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Recently added byENL.Biblioteca, cesdemo, private library

In this book, when Alexander wakes up everything seems to go wrong. from gum in his hair, to shoes he does not want to wear, to getting soap in his eyes when he takes a bath. It seems that nothing will ever ho right for the poor kid. Will his luck change by the end of the day?
  ryleemay | Dec 1, 2016 |
By far my favorite book to read to the kids at work! Alexander's day just keeps getting worse... teach the kids that everyone has "one of those days" now and again.
k-3rd (long)
Munchkinland Childcare and Preschool ( )
  Kayleepeterson | Nov 30, 2016 |
A great book to help children understand that its okay to have a bad since we all have them.
  Kourtney_Maas | Nov 30, 2016 |
This is a story of Alexander and how he wakes up having the worst day ever and how his day gradually gets worse.
  sehuff | Nov 29, 2016 |
I like this book because it goes through a bad day and shows students this happens sometimes. It is repetitive and has a catchy phrase of terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day so this is fun for students to read. It enhances vocab, as we can see even from the title. ( )
  Oliviacap | Nov 21, 2016 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,623,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible