Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Recently added byhhyde, private library, PDianeB, MacMasterFamily, BethanyvThompson, mathsie, LoriY, michno, atinney16

Summary: Alexandar's first day begins with gum in his hair and it just continues on to being a terrible day. He ends up dropping his sweater in water, tripping over his skateboard, and was forced and tortured by the lima beans at dinner. Alex has the idea that he just wanted to move to Australia but his mother tells him that there are good days and bad days that happen no matter where you are.
Personal Reaction: This storry is easy to relate to.Everyone has their good days and bad days, but if someone is there to help stay positive and provide a positive day, then it can always turn the day around. I can relate to this because I get mad when I have a bad day and I just want the next day to come.
Classroom extensions: Students could relate to this book and discuss when they have became angry or frustated in a literacy cirlce. Students can then do a compare/contrast on feelings of anger and happiness.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Alexander starts his day with gum in his hair. This was only the start to his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. From there he accidentally dropped his sweater in water, tripped over his skateboard, got wrongfully accused during an episode of sibling rivalry, and even was tortured with lima beans for dinner. Throughout the book, Alexander is more convinced as his day continues that he should be living in Australia. The book ends with Alexander's mother telling him that some days are just like that, even in Australia.
I think this book is easy very easy to relate to. Everyone is subject to those no good, very bad days. My son thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it quite humorous as he related it to himself. There was also repetition which is helpful in grabbing attention. I loved how the book ended with the concept that some days are just like that, even in Australia. This was a lesson in just that, no matter where you are bad days occur and there is no way to run from them. When the bad day is over maybe just maybe, one might find humor in it.
This book would be very easy to use in the classroom. Feelings can be discussed such as anger and frustration and what we can do with those feelings, and how to express them. Another idea could be to introduce Australia geographically and culturally.
  copeland86 | Jul 10, 2014 |
Everything went wrong for Alexander, nothing went right so he wanted to move to Australia. but he sees things aren't that bad as his day goes on.
  cabram90 | Jun 24, 2014 |
In this story alexander struggles to get through a bad whee nothing seems to be working for him.
  iceangel456 | Jun 12, 2014 |
A string of terrible, horrible, no good events lead Alexander to having a very bad day. He has gum in his hair, he doesn't get a prize in his cereal, and his has to eat lima beans for dinner. Maybe he should just move to Australia.
  kfh2 | Jun 9, 2014 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible