Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

This book talks about about a boy who woke up with gum on his haor as he woke up he trip on his skate board, he drop his sweater in the sink while water running he then realize he was going to have a terrible, horrible no good, very bad day, as the day is going by he keep on having bad luck but the end of the day when you go to sleep he understood people can have bad days even if they are in another countries.

Ages- (3-5)
Source - (Online Library)
  Mayra26 | Aug 21, 2015 |
A young boy, Alexander, is experiencing a bad day- from the time he wakes up in the morning, his day seems to get progressively worse. Throughout his day, Alexander dreams of moving to Australia-until his mother informs him that some days are just like that, even in Australia.

In this story children may recognize some of their own emotions- which could lead to a meaningful discussion on ways to cope with and positively express feelings of frustration, disappointment, envy, anger and sadness.
Ages: 5 and up
Source: TCC ELC (Tacoma Community College Early Learning Center) ( )
  cintaclara_luna | Aug 13, 2015 |
Alexander is having a bad day, as bad as it gets, but at the end of the day his mother explains that sometimes we just have rough days. ( )
  Megan7707 | Aug 13, 2015 |
Fun, realistic story. We've all had days like this. ( )
  nickietravis | Jul 26, 2015 |
A great story to read to younger elementary during social skills. Great book to teach about emotions.
  NiinaMariie | May 11, 2015 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible