Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

cutest story ever. Read it a million times and will probably read it a million more. :) ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
When I was in teacher-training this book was highly recommended. Viorst does have a gift for helping us empathize with children - it's more than just a funny story. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion, I don’t know if I liked or disliked this book. One reason for this is because of certain references made. For example, “I think I’ll move to Australia.” I did not understand the references to Australia that were made. Another reference to Australia was “He also said don’t fool around with his phone, but I think I called Australia.” This was another example of Australia being thrown into the story. The second reason for my opinion is that I did like the illustrations. For example, the illustrator used lines to add texture to each item on the pages. All of the illustrations were in black and white so it didn’t added a race to sway readers. This book had its ups and downs. I believe that the big message of the story is that some days won’t be good days but no matter where you are bad days will come and go. ( )
  KinderelHodgson | Apr 13, 2015 |
This books is such a cute book because it shows how a young boy goes through struggles of a bad day, and eventually overcomes all of them. I would recommend reading this book to second graders. It would be a great way to show the students in the classroom how to handle bad days. When you read the story, you want to feel bad for the main character Alexander, but eventually you come to realize that "some days are just like that." This book is a great way to show children to be thankful for every new day they are given, and to try to make the best of it! ( )
  ClaireFelder | Apr 9, 2015 |
This book made me very sad! The entire story, I felt bad for the character, Alexander, even though I did think it was a great book. The character, himself, was very descriptive throughout the entire book. “On my way downstairs, the elevator door closed on my foot and while we were waiting for my mom to get to the car…” As a reader, I was able to tell that the character did not want to keep any secrets, therefore he gave many explanations. This story also had a lot of repetition, which is great for children. I believe repetition is great for children because it allows them to understand the main concept of the story. The main idea of this story was that Alexander, who is having a bad day, has his mom telling him that some days are just like that. Alexander is reassured that the day will get better and it happens to everyone. ( )
  Sberma5 | Mar 31, 2015 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,599,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible