Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

6,320354625 (4.28)74
Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Summary: "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" is a picture book about Alexander and his constant string of bad luck. Not only does Alexander find himself having a bad day, but he is certain that nobody cares about him. From getting gum into his hair to messing up his Dad's office, he concludes that he must move to Australia. At the end of the story however, his mother tells him that everybody has bad days, even in Australia.

Review: There is obviously a lesson to be said about this famous picture book. Alexander is obviously having a bad day, but HOW bad? From what I read, his day is as bad as he makes it out to be. He doesn't even receive a toy in his cereal! Alexander believes if he moves to Australia then his problems will fade away. By reading through the lines I learned that the lesson is that everyone goes through bad days in the world. I would like to read this to my future students. If I have a student who is having a bad day (which will most likely happen), then this book is sure to brighten their day with its humor and story. ( )
  cclark37 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a young boy named Alexander. Alexander is having a very bad day; he woke up with gum stuck in his hair and that was just the start. Throughout the day, he kept running into even more mishaps and was very unhappy. No one even listened to him when he complained about having an awful day. Throughout the day, things just kept getting worse: he got in trouble for fighting with his brother when his brother started it, his cat chose to sleep with his brother instead of him, they had lima beans for dinner and he hates lima beans. Alexander kept threatening that he was going to move to Australia. However, at the end his mom informed him that even people in Australia have bad days too.

Review: This book is very relatable to not only children, but adults as well. I think the main message of this book was inform readers that everyone has bad days every once in a while. His mom made this especially clear when she told him that even people have bad days in Australia. She is letting him know that no matter where you live or go, everyone occasionally has a day where they feel like everything that could go wrong does. Therefore, it is important to put those days behind you and just move on; everything will get better and it's important to make the best out of all situations. ( )
  jbaile14 | Dec 9, 2014 |
A story of a child who is experiencing a bad day and the emotions attached.
  sarah.vargo | Dec 9, 2014 |
Alexander had a very wickedly bad day wherein nothing went right. While in comparison to things adults face, Alexander's problems are minuscule, to him, his life on this particular day is so bad that he wishes to flee to Australia.

The book is cute, silly, comical and delightful! ( )
  Whisper1 | Dec 7, 2014 |
Everything that can go wrong did and everything that is going to go wrong will when it comes to poor Alexander. He's having a bad day and nothing seems to get any better. He gets to the point he doesn't even want to live where he does. However, with much perseverance by at least still struggling through the day he finds out that not everything was bad and there was hope for a better day tomorrow.

Ages: 4 to 5 years
Source: Pierce College Library
  tedwrds | Dec 7, 2014 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,428,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible