Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Alexander, a young boy, wakes up see he has gum in his hair, trips on his way to the bathroom, and gets his sweater wet, after that he can tell that it’s going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Throughout the story he continues to tell the reader about all the bad things that happen to him, and how he wishes he could move to Australia. At the end, however, as he is getting ready for bed, he recounts that his mom told him that everyone has bad days, even in Australia.
This story is a great way to teach children that your day may seem to be going really poorly, however everyone has bad days here and there, and its ok because tomorrow is a new day. ( )
  NicoleGruber | Sep 20, 2016 |
What an excellent story with a simple, wise ending. I'm sorry that I did not read this sooner. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book was about a young boy named Alexander who's day went terribly wrong. Everything he said and did was wrong and bad. There was a lot of repetition in this book. I really like this book. It shows kids that everybody has bad days and it will be okay. ( )
  knbenson6584 | Sep 14, 2016 |
We follow Alexander has he explains quite possible the worst day a child could have. Things were just not going his way. Its a funny story and children can easily relate to it. ( )
  Jorman | Sep 13, 2016 |
I think this is a great book that students can relate to. Students are always saying they are having a bad day but we have to learn how to handle it and move on.
  NaomiJohnston | Sep 12, 2016 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,125,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible