Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

7,195450495 (4.28)82
Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

This is a perfect book for anyone - child OR adult - who is having a seriously bad day, or a series of bad days. If it doesn't put things in perspective, it at least lets you know that you're not alone; Alexander's right there with ya. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_04 | Jun 17, 2016 |
When I was in teacher-training this book was highly recommended. Viorst does have a gift for helping us empathize with children - it's more than just a funny story. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I loved this book and loved re-reading it! I think one of the main reasons this book is so popular among young children is because it is relatable. Young readers enjoy stories that involve a situation they can personally relate to. This book has a great and funny interpretation of a child's bad day. We all have bad days and therefore everyone knows how Alexander must feel at different points in the story. The illustration shows a wonderful display of creativity and simplicity. The moral of this story is that everyone has bad days but we have to figure out how we want to deal with them in order to make them better. I think that this a must read book for young children as it gives them an insight into another person’s bad day. ( )
  mblodgett15 | Apr 18, 2016 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,833,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible