Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Judith Viorst, Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Member:WendyBrown
Title:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Authors:Judith Viorst
Other authors:Ray Cruz (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Spl Ltd, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, bad day, childrens book

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst (1972)

Gum stuck in his hair signals the start of a disastrous day for 11-year-old Alexander. One calamity follows another, but when Alexander tells his family about his misadventures, he finds little sympathy. ( )
  SaraLancon | Apr 17, 2017 |
This book was so entertaining and it was such a great way to bring in a lesson about feelings. I believe a child could relate to this because of a bad days. It will teach them that it is okay to have a bad day, but you must pull through. ( )
  MacyClement | Apr 13, 2017 |
Humorous book about a boy who has the worst day ever. Good for all ages.
  zaspelaa | Apr 13, 2017 |
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day gives a realistic look at a child's perspective when having a less-than-ideal day. It demonstrates the fact that one negative moment can increase one's reaction to the rest of the day. In essence, the story gives children an insight as to how to cope when they are not having a good day themselves as well as that everybody has a bad day every once in a while. ( )
  JulietteKing | Apr 12, 2017 |
This is a byook that all teachers should read to their students in order to get a good laugh out of them. It all started when Alexander woke up with gum in his hair, he knew today was going to be a very bad one. His best friend leaves him, he does get any dessert in his lunch box, just to name a few. ( )
  TylerAnderson | Apr 11, 2017 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711735, Paperback)

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

So begin the trials and tribulations of the irascible Alexander, who has been earning the sympathy of readers since 1972. People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad. As Alexander's day progresses, he faces a barrage of bummers worthy of a country- western song: getting smushed in the middle seat of the car, a dessertless lunch sack, a cavity at the dentist's office, stripeless sneakers, witnessing kissing on television, and being forced to sleep in railroad-train pajamas. He resolves several times to move to Australia.

Judith Viorst flawlessly and humorously captures a child's testy temperament, rendering Alexander sympathetic rather than whiny. Our hero's gum-styled hair and peevish countenance are artfully depicted by Ray Cruz's illustrations. An ALA Notable Book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a great antidote to bad days everywhere, sure to put a smile on even the crabbiest of faces. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,806,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible