The Cleaner by Paul Cleave
Authors:Paul Cleave
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 400 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Cleaner by Paul Cleave

English (11)  German (3)  French (2)  All languages (16)
Cleave has become my new favorite author. I love the rough-hewn characters and in-your-face style he presents his readers with. I have devoured all his novels featuring Detective Theodore Tate and so was a little disappointed that “The Cleaner” is a stand-alone novel not featuring Tate. The disappointment lasted all of three chapters and by page forty six, I was so overcome by the pure evil of Joe the killer, the Christchurch Carver, I was tempted to look at the last page to be sure he is finally caught. Luckily I didn’t and found myself spending the whole day entranced in this enthralling story.
Originally released in Cleave’s native New Zealand in 2006, “The Cleaner” was just released in the States. Having orchestrated himself into the police department as simple and slow Joe the janitor, he is able to watch closely over the hunt for what the media have christened The Christchurch Carver. He knows the cops are nowhere close to discovering that he is responsible for the six bodies lying on a slab in the morgue. It is when a seventh is added, a copycat killing, that Joe wanders off course, becoming determined to discover who the killer is.
Between dealing with a busybody of a mother, the infringement of the interest from Sally—a fellow employee at the department who is determined to watch out for Joe as he reminds her of the retarded brother she lost—and a mystery lady who is besotted with police officers, Joe is finally undone by one of the women in his life who accidently stumbles over a simple clue and rats him out. If only he stayed the course and not forgotten he was just simple Joe, he would have become a classic cold case file destined to never be solved, but best laid plans are often overturned by someone else’s interference.
Another gritty storyline exposing the dark city life of Christchurch ensuring all the cities inhabitants stay locked behind closed doors at night, or like me, be kept up all night reading Paul Cleave.
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
ABR's original The Cleaner audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

After I recently read Paul Cleaves’ latest book Trust No One, which I really enjoyed, I jumped at the chance to go back and listen to his first book, The Cleaner, which was recently released on audio. I am so glad I did.

Joe is a cleaner working in the police station where he is known as Slow Joe. Joe is also an intelligent serial killer, the Christchurch Carver, whom the police are desperately trying to catch. While spying on the police investigation, Joe discovers that he is being framed for a murder he didn’t commit. So Joe starts investigating on his own.

The Cleaner is a dark and very twisted story told from the first person perspective of a serial killer and the third person perspective of Sally, one of his work colleagues, who is trying to befriend Slow Joe.

You would have never guessed that this was actually the author’s debut novel. I loved the writing. It was witty and compelling with lots of dark humor and some violence that made you gasp, but not in a bad way. You can’t help but like Joe despite his homicidal tendencies. Cleaves creates great characters, such as Joe’s slightly nutty mother, and the mix of grisly crime thriller and dark comedy was brilliant.

Paul Ansdell was a new narrator for me. He did an amazing job, and I would love to listen to more book he narrates. In fact, I saw he narrates another Paul Cleaves’ thriller, which I added to my wishlist straightaway. Ansdell really brought these characters to life. I was particularly impressed how he managed that with Joe’s batty mother. The setting of the book being in New Zealand, I was initially a little surprised by the English accent of the narrator. But I was glad he didn’t attempt to give the characters Christchurch accents that would have felt unnatural. Paul Ansdell has a very smooth, pleasant voice that was a pleasure to listen to. There were no issues with the production quality.

Highly recommended if you like sinister, twisted and a bit different from the normal thriller!

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Oct 30, 2015 |
Originally published in New Zealand in 2006, Paul Cleave’s books are being published in the U.S. for the first time, and publisher Simon & Schuster has a sure bet on their hands with The Cleaner. “Slow Joe” is working as a janitor in the police department of Christchurch, New Zealand. The thing is … Joe isn’t really slow at all. He is a serial killer. Working with the police allows him to keep tabs on the investigation into the gruesome deaths of seven women. The problem is, one of those murders was committed by someone else, and Joe is not happy to see it included among his own work. His plan is to find that killer and frame him for the whole shebang. This book is dark, violent, visually disturbing and funny!
And then, just when you think you’ve taken all the ugly you can handle… there’s his latest date…

This review was originally written for Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore. ( )
  retropelocin | Dec 19, 2013 |
This is Paul Cleave's first book; it is also the direct prequel to Joe Victim, his latest book which I read recently. Since I read the books the wrong way round I knew all the who-dunnits in this book but did not know the whys or hows. This did affect my enjoyment of the book and I do highly recommend you read the two books in the proper order! However, I enjoyed Joe Victim so much I just had to read the beginnings of his story. This (well both books) is a very unique take on the serial killer book as it is almost entirely told from the killer's point of view and we hardly even get to know the police investigators in this first beginning book. They have developed into characters by the time we get to the latest book, Joe Victim, the 7th in the series, though. But here, they show up occasionally and mostly through Joe, the cleaner's, point of view. The scary thing about this story is that even with the entire violent, ruthless murders we are somehow drawn to Joe and he does become an unwillingly sympathetic character to the reader in an unsettling way to my dismay, even though he is completely unlikable as a person and unreliable as a narrator. Occasionally another narrator will take over and we get an outsider's take on the case, but as I said this is not from the police themselves; they are kept as background characters making this a very unique style of thriller which I thoroughly enjoyed. I just didn't get the full impact since I had already read the sequel which keeps no secrets of the events that happen here. I'm impressed with this author and will move on to his next book which revolves around the same police department in Christchurch, NZ. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 30, 2013 |
To Quinn We all still miss you, buddy.
I pull the car into the driveway. Sit back. Try to relax.
Mein Name ist Joe. Ich bin ein netter Kerl. Aber manchmal bringe ich Frauen um.

A police department janitor named Joe investigates what is thought to be the seventh Christchurch Carver murder, except that Joe knows for certain that the latest homicide is the work of a copycat killer.

31 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,111,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible