Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Last Watch (2006)

by Sergei Lukyanenko

Series: Watch (4), World of Watches Hexalogy (4)

English (16)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (17)
I love this world - the atmosphere, the characters, the story. As in the past books, this is a story told in three different parts that all come together at the end.

The first story has Anton traveling to Edinburgh to help the Night Watch of that city find a murderer. The second story has Anton and another agent going to Uzbekistan to find someone who once knew the Great Merlin. The third story is set back in Edinburgh, with Anton being blackmailed to access the great spell of Merlin on the Seventh level of the Twilight.

As always, the stories ramble a bit, although this stays closer to the topic (Merlin's Greatest Spell), but come together at the end. More knowledge about the Twilight is shown and Anton is conflicted between his duty to the Watch vs the duty of his family.

Even though Anton gets more and more powerful in each book, it doesn't affect the series. The mystery is not dependent on Anton's power, but his ability to solve a mystery. And that is the second thing I like about these books - there isn't a good vs evil, although the story might be framed that way. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Aug 26, 2017 |
Pros: great characters, interesting mystery, some new spells and creatures

Cons:

Three years after the events of The Twilight Watch Anton Gorodetsky is sent to Scotland to help investigate the murder of the human son of a potential Russian other, by what appears to have been a vampire. It’s quickly apparent that more’s going on than murder, and that whoever’s behind the murder isn’t afraid to use humans as canon fodder.

This book refers fairly often to the events in the previous books in the series, so if you haven’t read them if a while, a quick skim is in order.

As with the previous books this one is separated into three sections. It was cool seeing Anton work in different locales and dealing with new members of the watches. He’s an interesting character and the supporting cast grows a bit in this book while bringing back several characters from the previous books.

The mystery surrounding the hole in the twilight and Merlin’s spell kept me guessing even as other new spells were explained and used, and some new creatures - specifically different types of golems - show up. The book also had some Others using more technology with their magic, which was cool to see.

I enjoyed the book. This is my favourite urban fantasy series and I’m glad to be reading it again. ( )
  Strider66 | Apr 4, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Last Watch Series: Night Watch Author: Sergei Lukyanenko Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 402 Format: Kindle Digital Edition Synopsis: Someone is trying to recover an artifact of power that Merlin himself created. In doing so, they are murdering both Light, Dark and Inquisition. They are using humans and modern weapons enspelled. Anton is tasked by both Gesar and Zabulon to find out what is going on and secretly, to find this monumental artifact. Can Anton please all 3 branches of Others while fighting off a new group calling themselves the Last Watch and protect his daughter? Former friends and foes come together in a new Watch story. My Thoughts: Good stuff! This tied in quite heavily to the previous book with the Vampire who wanted to turn everyone into an Other. This time around you have various members from each of the Branches trying to bring back dead Others, who live on the 6th level of the Twilight. The 3 story setup works quite well once again. Anton isn't angsty and his melancholy is almost non-existent, which is ok. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
There's something about these books... They're compelling when you're reading them, yet at the same time I think I've put all of them down for long stretches of time, too. Anyway, this is the sequel to the Night Watch trilogy. It's an interesting follow-up, and I was glad to see it avoided one thing that I would have considered a major pitfall (juicing Anton up with even more power). The moral struggles seem less important, though, and it's not so much focused on the Watches, which gives it a bit of a different flavour.

Sergei Lukyanenko uses the same kind of tricks/misdirections as he does in the original trilogy, so I did guess the surprises ahead of time. I loved the stuff with Merlin and the references to Arthur. All in all, though, I hope Sergei Lukyanenko leaves this particular world alone now -- I don't see that there's more he could/should do. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I'll be reading this one after the trilogy.
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sergei Lukyanenkoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pöhlmann, ChristianeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz, GyörgyiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Мой жене Соне и сыну Теме, с любовью.
Lera looked at Victor and smiled.

"The Last Watch" is the stunning sequel to the Night Watch trilogy, following the fortunes of the Others. Indistinguishable from normal people but possessed of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each Other owes allegiance either to the Dark, or to the Light...While on holiday in Scotland, visiting 'The Dungeons of Edinburgh', a young Russian tourist is murdered. As the police grapple with the fact that the cause of the young man's death was a massive loss of blood, the Watches are immediately aware that there is a renegade vampire on the loose. Anton - the hero of the Night Watch trilogy - is detailed to this seemingly mundane investigation, but begins to realise that there is much more to the story than a wildcat vampire and a single murder, and discovers that a team of unlicensed Others are hunting for a fabled magical treasure, hidden in the sixth level of the Twilight by Merlin himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

A final installment in a series that includes Twilight Watch finds Night Watch agent Anton conducting a murder investigation that takes him from Edinburgh and Uzbekistan to Moscow, where he discovers that the threat posed by the Others is more complex than originally realized.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,782,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible