Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems…

Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems 1988-2000 (American Poets… (edition 2000)

by Lucille Clifton

Member:stellarwars
Title:Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems 1988-2000 (American Poets Continuum Series, Vol. 60.)
Authors:Lucille Clifton
Info:BOA Editions (2000), Paperback, 145 pages
Tags:poetry toread

Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems 1988-20 (American Poets Continuum) by Lucille Clifton

I read quite a bit of poetry, though I rarely end up sitting down and reading a collection by a single author at once without jumping between collections, journals, etc. This was an exception. I had read Clifton before, but only poems that were dropped into larger anthologies, and while I'd enjoyed them, I was never blown away. This collection, though, is one I'll keep and return to, and there are quite a few poems I'll be copying down into a journal I keep of favorite poems. There are some authors you go to for their language, and some for their ideas. Those who really capture you with both--particularly on a regular basis within their works, I find rarely. Here though, there's little left to be desired. The poems are beautiful, unique, thoughtful, and what's more, they're accessable. If you enjoy poetry, I strongly recommend this collection. I will say that I found the ending section to be the weakest--it was enjoyable, but didn't live up to the earlier work in the collection. If you're not deadset on reading the whole thing straight through, I'd recommend reading the last section, the poems from The Terrible Stories, first, and then beginning at the beginning to read the rest and the best of the work. That last section, by the way is about 18 pages out of 128, and it's still worthwhile, just not as memorable as the earlier portions of the book. Enjoy. ( )
1 vote whitewavedarling | Feb 11, 2008 |
This was a present to me from Lucille Clifton and my undergraduate college, St. Mary's College of Maryland, upon my graduation in 2000. The namesake of the book comes from a practice at St. Mary's City where the boats are blessed.
  mbach | May 31, 2006 |

This long-awaited collection from one of the most distinguished poets working today includes new poems written during the past four years as well as generous selections from previous collections. Annotation. This long-awaited collection by one of the most distinguished poets writing today includes new poems written during the past four years as well as generous selections from Lucille Clifton's award-winning collections Next: New Poems, Quilting, The Book of Light and The Terrible Stories. Clifton employs brilliantly honed language, stunning images and sharp rhythms to address the whole of human experience: birth, death, children, family, illness, sexuality, spirituality and injustice in antebellum and contemporary America. Hers is a poetry that is passionate and wise, not afraid to rage or whisper.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible