dismiss

The Charm School by Nelson DeMille

The Charm School (original 1988; edition 1999)

by Nelson DeMille (Author)

#1 New York Times bestselling author, Nelson DeMille, delivers an explosive thriller of international intrigue and high-voltage political tension set in contemporary Russia.On a dark road deep inside Russia, a young American tourist picks up a most unusual passenger a U.S. POW on the run with an incredible secret to reveal to an unsuspecting world. The secret concerns "The Charm School," a vast and astounding KGB conspiracy that stands poised against the very heartland of America. Arrayed against this renegade power of the Soviet state are three Americans: an Air Force officer, who will fly one last covert mission into the center of a mad experiment; an embassy liaison, who will have her hopes for a saner superpower balance brutally tested; and the chief of the CIA's Moscow station, who will find his intricate dance of destiny and death reaching its devastating conclusion.… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:The Charm School
Authors:Nelson DeMille (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1999), Edition: Reprint, 816 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Charm School by Nelson DeMille (1988)

One of my favorite DeMille novels. Poignant, sad, and the ending left me stunned. ( )
  kendallone | Dec 3, 2019 |
This novel, set in the Glastnost era of the Soviet Union, when relations with the United States are improving as they get out of the Cold War, an American tourist comes across an Air Force major as he is driving toward Moscow. He contacts the US embassy in Moscow. Shortly after, the tourist disappears. This leads to American attaches Sam Hollis and Lisa Rhodes uncovering a spy school where they are teaching Soviets how to become Americans. The teachers at the spy schools are Vietnam MIAs. All of this leads to a thrilling escape of the MIAs by a CIA agent.

There was some good and some bad in this novel. I liked how the author handled the back and forth dealing between the CIA and KGB. This created a lot of tense moments, and it effectively recreated that Cold War feeling, which is more prescient as tensions mount today between the United States and Russia. It was an interesting concept. There were some plodding aspects to the novel, and some of the plot stretches the realm of believability in an otherwise enjoyable novel.

Carl Alves – author of The Invocation ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 4, 2019 |
At Mrs. Ivanova's Charm School, young KGB agents are being taught by American POW's how to be model Americans in order to infiltrate the U.S. undetected. Written in 1988, before the Berlin Wall came down, this story typifies the "cold War" and mistrust between the United States and the Soviet Union. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |
Re-read an old favorite. This was the first DeMille I ever read and it'll probably always be his best in my eyes. Sam Hollis has all the wit of John Corey, the hero of his future books, and the Charm School scenario is mesmerizing to me. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Written in 1988, before the Berlin Wall came down, this story typifies the "cold War" and mistrust between the United States and the Soviet Union. Coronal Sam Hollis and Lisa Rhodes work at the American embassy in Moscow. They stumble upon information about a secret "school" in Russia where Americans are held against their will and have to teach Russians how to pass as Americans. They study language, slang, history, and culture, and then are sent to the U.S. where they live as Americans and are gradually infiltrating all levels of society. Although this is a work of fiction,
in a 2010 FBI investigation, striking similarities were noted to the real life case and Demille's book.[1] according to Wikipedia.Scary to think our POW's ended up in Russian slave camps. DeMille is a little long winded, but I enjoy his main character so much I overlook it. The Sam Hollis character is a lot like his "John Cory" books character (Love those books), and when the story is read by Scott Brick, I just imagine it is John Cory. Not my favorite story, but I still liked it. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Sep 3, 2017 |
"Sie sind schon zwei Tage in Smolensk geblieben, Mr. Fisher?" fragte sie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible