Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha…

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (1920)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (1)

English (177)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (187)
Although this novel is a Hurcule Poirot, it is told through the viewpoint of a friend of Poirot, Mr. Hastings. The viewpoint character is effective, since he basically has no detective instincts whatsoever, therefore not giving away what Poirot is thinking, which would ruin the mystery. The novel starts off with the death of Emily Cavendish. There are a handful of characters who are in the house at the time, and like with most good mysteries, there are various clues lying about. Half the time, I felt like Hastings, not being able to figure out who did what and always playing catch up with Poirot. About two thirds of the way through, I had a guess as to who committed the murder, and it turns out I was half right.

I like Christie’s story telling style, but there were some problematic elements of the way the story unfolded, and a couple of elements that defied logic. Poirot comes off as enigmatic and charming. Because of the gap in time from when the story was written until now, some of the aspects of the plot were a bit hard to grasp, but for the most part the plot was strong, and the reveal was logical. This was a strong mystery novel that I would recommend.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jun 16, 2019 |
This was absolute trash. It was my first Christie book and, judging by how bad it was, it is most likely my last. It left a bad taste in my literary palate. It is completely devoid of interest and engaging prose. VERY bad. DO NOT RECOMMEND. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
The Mysterious Mr. Quin (1930) (Harley Quin) by Agatha Christie. This character, Harley Quin, is reported to have been Dame Agatha’s favorite as she only had to write about him when she wished to. Quin, along with his puppet, the good Mr. Satterthwaite, set out to right wrongs, solve vexing problems of the heart, and occasionally solve a murder.
Satterthwaite is in his sixties, an English gentleman who has no wish for sport or romance or business. He is from that class of people Christie liked to populate her books with, the idle rich who know everyone of importance and in hand, are known to all, and beloved by them in return. He has an interest in people and they seem to trust and open up to this benign older gent.
But it is Mr. Quin who is the driving force here. He appears and disappears like a spector, arriving in a time of need, appearing to Mr. Satterthwaite when there is a problem, merely talking with the kind gentleman, asking questions that Mr. Satterthwaite is surprised to find he knows the answers to, and helping the latter solve the puzzle.
This book contains an even dozen tales of the pair, each a tie plum of deliciousness ready to be devoted. Help yourself. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Apr 13, 2019 |
A poisoning at Styles brings in the clueless Cpt. Hastings and HP to solve the murder. ( )
  addunn3 | Mar 21, 2019 |
Who killed the wealthy heiress? Was it her new husband? Her stepsons? Her housekeeper or her nurse? And how did they get into her locked chambers?

This is another Captain Hastings Poirot mystery. As stated here, I don’t like Poirot books that feature Hastings. He’s like a more ditsy version of Dr. Watson. Which makes me wonder if Christie was trying to play off the Sherlock Holmes/Watson dynamic in these books? I suppose the Watson of the original Sherlock Holmes books was dazzled by Sherlock in a way that could be annoying, but that’s another discussion.

Back to this book. Besides my dislike for Hastings, I just didn’t think this was a very interesting mystery. Keeping track of the characters was more difficult than usual, and I suspected the resolution before it happened. Basically, a disappointing Poirot book all around. I recommend skipping this one.

Read more Agatha Christie reviews on my blog at bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |

The Mysterious Affair at Styles [and] The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Curtain by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair at Styles [and] Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirotin johtolangat : viisi kuulua mysteeriä by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: And Then There Were None, Dumb Witness, The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The Complete Mystery Novels of Agatha Christie Vol 1 by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Inspired

To my mother
The intense interest aroused in the public by what was known at the time as "The Styles Case" has now somewhat subsided.

The heiress of Styles has been murdered, dying in agony from strychnine slipped into her coffee. And there are plenty who would gain from her death: the financially strapped stepson, the gold digging younger husband, and an embittered daughter-in-law.

Agatha Christie's eccentric and hugely popular detective, Hercule Poirot, was introduced to the world in this book, which launched her career as the most famous and best loved of all mystery writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

Recently, there had been some strange goings on at Styles St Mary. Evelyn, constant companion to old Mrs. Inglethorp, had stormed out of the house muttering something about 'a lot of sharks'. And with her, something indefinable had gone from the atmosphere. Her presence had spelt security; now the air seemed rife with suspicion and impending evil.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102715, 1400109191

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible