The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule…

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot) (original 1920; edition 2001)

by Agatha Christie

Title:The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2001), Edition: Masterpiece Ed, Paperback, 208 pages

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (1920)

English (140)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (148)
This was Agatha Christie’s debut novel, written in 1920. It is also where she introduced Hercule Poirot. While Hastings is staying with friends, the lady of the house is murdered. Retired Scotland Yard detective Poirot comes to help solve the case. The husband, two sons, a daughter-in-law and more are all suspects.

It was ok. So many characters are introduced right away at the beginning of her books that I sometimes lose who is who for a while. I’m actually not a Poirot fan; I prefer Miss Marple. I find him a bit annoying, as he hints at things with Hastings, but never comes out and says what he thinks. He always wants Hastings to figure it out on his own. He is a bit of a know-it-all, as he always does seem to know it from the start, but can’t prove it, so never reveals his thoughts until the end. His attitude just annoys me a bit. At the same time, I was interested in reading Christie’s debut novel, and in reading the book that introduced Poirot. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 9, 2016 |
good ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
I bow to the Dame. What a clever story! The revelation at the end was a kick in the pants! Hercule and Hastings are a smash together. There's even cross-dressing in it. What a way to enter into the world of mystery novels! Marple's next for me! ( )
  MurkyMaster | Sep 9, 2016 |
When a family matriarch is poisoned, Hercule Poirot must discover who committed the crime.

Again, a reread for me (I think I've read Christie's entire bibliography, but I may have missed one or two, as I was not scientific about keeping track of my reading at the time). This is the first Poirot novel, told from the point of view of Hastings. I was struck, on this reread, with just how stupid Hastings is. This never bothered me originally, so I'm not sure if it's because I'm older than I was on my initial readings, or if it's because of the audiobook narration, or if that aspect of Hastings' character was softened in later books (I always liked Hastings, so I was surprised to be so impatient with him during this reading). This was read by a different narrator than my last two Christie books, and I did not like him at all -- partly because he gave Poirot such a strong accent that I had a hard time understanding what he was saying at times. Also, the denouement of this story seemed to take forever. All in all, though I love Christie, and Poirot particularly, I don't think I'd recommend this as a starting point. ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 24, 2016 |
The Mysterious Affair at Styles was Christies first published book and is most notable for one thing: it is the first of the Poirot books and explains the background between the famous friendship between the Belgian detective and Captain Hasting.

Hastings is on medical leave in Essex during the First World War and by chance bumps into an old friend of his - Poirot. Poirot is a refugee and managed to settle near his friend, Emily Inglethorp, who owns Styles Court where Hastings is a guest.

Shortly after, Emily Inglethorp is found dead.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles is one of the straight-forward mysteries of Christie's where it is a joy to guess alongside the characters and try and connect the clues to figure out the identity of the murderer.

The only problem I have with this one is that I don't find it memorable in any way other than the meeting between Hastings and Poirot. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |

Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulianForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
The intense interest aroused in the public by what was known at the time as "The Styles Case" has now somewhat subsided.

The heiress of Styles has been murdered, dying in agony from strychnine slipped into her coffee. And there are plenty who would gain from her death: the financially strapped stepson, the gold digging younger husband, and an embittered daughter-in-law.

Agatha Christie's eccentric and hugely popular detective, Hercule Poirot, was introduced to the world in this book, which launched her career as the most famous and best loved of all mystery writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

Recently, there had been some strange goings on at Styles St Mary. Evelyn, constant companion to old Mrs. Inglethorp, had stormed out of the house muttering something about 'a lot of sharks'. And with her, something indefinable had gone from the atmosphere. Her presence had spelt security; now the air seemed rife with suspicion and impending evil.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102715, 1400109191

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible