The Mysterious Affair At Styles by Agatha…

The Mysterious Affair At Styles (original 1920; edition 1975)

by Agatha Christie

Member:clong
Title:The Mysterious Affair At Styles
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dodd Mead (1975), Edition: First, Hardcover, 313 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery/detectives, returned

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (1920)

English (126)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (134)
Another of the great early Christie offerings. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 28, 2016 |
Christie's first and it stars Hercule Poirot with narration by Hastings. Poirot hasn't gotten as irritating as he becomes in later novels. If I tell you to "follow the money," I won't be helping you too much - since just about everyone is after the murdered woman's money. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is the first of Christie’s books featuring Hercule Poirot. The plot is about a family living in a country home, with guests invited - including the narrator, Hastings.

A murder happens, and nearly all the household come under suspicion for various good reasons. It’s really a very clever plot; even as the clues gradually unravelled I could not recall who the murderer was, despite having read the book about thirteen years previously, and I was taken in by several red herrings, even while realising that the narrator must inevitably be on the wrong track, one way or another.

When the perpetrator was finally revealed, it all made sense, and the clues fell into place perfectly; Agatha Christie was brilliant at plotting, filling in all the details and leading her readers astray without ever making them feel cheated.

While the characterisation isn’t great - it’s my one gripe about this author - I did appreciate good writing and tight plotting, a pleasant contrast to some of the more contemporary books I have been reading recently. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Originally read 14/11/15 read again 15/10/15

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie - Very Good

Ah, a bit of Agatha to soothe my soul after reading YA fiction. So nice to read a beautifully composed sentence and a plot with a few twists and turns and interest. Despite the fact that I knew the story, there were enough differences from the TV adaptation to keep the pages turning. This is the book that first introduces us to Poirot, Hastings and Inspector Japp.

Listed in The Guardian's 1000 best novels http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jan/23/bestbooks-fiction
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I have to start by pointing out that this was written in 1920, and that is worth at least 1/2 look in itself. This is the first story of many for Hercule Poirot, and that is worth another 1/2 look. With that said, the superb writing of this one pulled it from 2 looks to 3 looks, in my opinion.

This is the second Agatha Christie book I have read. I can't believe I have gone through 46 years of life, and 40 of reading, where I have read only two Christie books. The first, And Then There Were None, was superb in every way. It was suspenseful, intriguing, thrilling and kept me guessing until the very end. Wonderful!

Mysterious Affair was extremely well written, but I got so bogged down at the ending explanation of the murder, my head was fairly spinning. I just felt that it didn't have to be so ... complicated. It really served to put a negative spin on the rest of the book. Writing = 4 looks, overall story and resolution = 2 looks, average is 3 looks.

Some of my favorites:
It struck me that he might look natural on a stage, but was strangely out of place in real life.
From the very first I took a firm and rooted dislike to him, and I flatter myself that my first judgments are usually fairly shrewd.
A "man of method" was, in Poirot's estimation, the highest praise that could be bestowed on any individual.
You gave too much rein to your imagination. Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. The simplest explanation is always the most likely.
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulianForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The heiress of Styles has been murdered, dying in agony from strychnine slipped into her coffee. And there are plenty who would gain from her death: the financially strapped stepson, the gold digging younger husband, and an embittered daughter-in-law.

Agatha Christie's eccentric and hugely popular detective, Hercule Poirot, was introduced to the world in this book, which launched her career as the most famous and best loved of all mystery writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

Recently, there had been some strange goings on at Styles St Mary. Evelyn, constant companion to old Mrs. Inglethorp, had stormed out of the house muttering something about 'a lot of sharks'. And with her, something indefinable had gone from the atmosphere. Her presence had spelt security; now the air seemed rife with suspicion and impending evil.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102715, 1400109191

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,202,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible