The Mysterious Affair At Styles by Agatha…

The Mysterious Affair At Styles (original 1920; edition 1975)

by Agatha Christie

Member:clong
Title:The Mysterious Affair At Styles
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dodd Mead (1975), Edition: First, Hardcover, 313 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery/detectives, returned

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (1920)

English (136)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (144)

I have a goal to read all of Poirot's stuff - order isn't terribly important for this type of 'series', but I don't want to touch his final act and book, Curtain, until I've read the others. Just an OCD reader thing.

The mystery itself was baffling (closed room rocks), but I didn't care much until the surprising end about the culprit. It's hard to explain why, but maybe because the characters didn't draw me in much, besides the main detective Poirot and the semi-clueless Hastings. The book was completely enjoyable, though, as Poirot shines when he's introduced in this first book featuring the Belgian detective. He doesn't focus on his mustache quite as much yet, alludes to the little grey cells only once, but steals the scenes wherever he goes. Hastings is amusing - I admit some of his books I found dry but I'll have to revisit - but here he's likable as the narrator. I don't get his thing for the women, though, were all men so easily led into marriage back then?

Even if I felt little for the victim or cared about the accused cast, I didn't figure out the ending and liked the neat curveball Christie threw the readers way, something I never saw coming. The clues add up but, like Hastings, I'm too dense to get them. It's amazing how Agatha could conceive and hold all that in her mind, but then there is a reason she still stands as one of the very best in detective fiction.

Overall a great book featuring Poirot. It's a fast, smooth read with stylish dialogue, a few twists thrown in every few chapters to keep the waters from feeling too calm and keeping the readers mind working. I wasn't entranced by the players, though, so this is not a five-star rating. Still, it's worth a read for mystery fans. ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This is the first Hercule Poirot novel. This is a re-read for me, but I still enjoyed it. Every time I read it, I still fall for the clues that lead to the wrong man. I have to correct myself everytime. Agatha Christie is the master of convincing me of whatever she wants. I fall for it hook, line, and sinker. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Classic closed-room murder mystery with a large number of suspects, twists to the narrative of each, and, of course, Belgian master-detective Hercule Poirot bring the mystery to a grand conclusion with all of the suspects in attendance, revealing all of the clues, however miniscule, that were in the story all along.

I listened to the Audible version of this book, narrated by David Thorn. Normally, I listen to Audible books at 2x speed, but Mr. Thorn's accents made it nearly impossible to follow, especially his Belgian accent when reading the lines of the detective, so I had to slow down the recording. Not sure I'll look for any other books narrated by him. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
The Mysterious Affair at Styles – Agatha Christie

4 stars
This is the historic introduction of the famous Hercule Poirot. The “retired” Belgian detective is a WWI refugee being housed in the British countryside. He encounters his good friend, Hastings, also staying in the country while recovering from war wounds. There’s a spy, strychnine, a murder and numerous red herrings. Poirot untangles the evidence and uncovers the culprit while taking a fatherly interest in young love.

I can only hope that I will have as long and as productive a ‘retirement’ as Poirot.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Poirot series, written on a bet with Christie's sister Madge. It introduces the characters of Poirot, Arthur Hastings and Inspector Japp. Christie tries the elements that will become the foundation of her enormous success; a wealthy family, a mystery set at a country house, a non-violent murder, and a bit of romance.

The mystery begins during WWI. Emily Inglethorpe has made a second marriage to a younger man. Her first husband left her a country house, money and two grown stepsons who also live at the estate, called Styles. Arthur Hastings is friends with one of them, John, and has gone to the country home to recover from a war injury. During Hastings' visit Emily Inglethorpe dies in a mysterious manner. Poirot happens to be a Belgian refugee staying in the nearby village, is known to Hastings and is brought to the country house to help solve the mystery.

Of course this is not the best of the Poirots, characters will be furthered developed in subsequent novels. I liked it because it was the first, not because it was the best. The Styles estate will also become the setting for the last in the Poirot series. ( )
  clue | May 18, 2016 |

Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulianForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The heiress of Styles has been murdered, dying in agony from strychnine slipped into her coffee. And there are plenty who would gain from her death: the financially strapped stepson, the gold digging younger husband, and an embittered daughter-in-law.

Agatha Christie's eccentric and hugely popular detective, Hercule Poirot, was introduced to the world in this book, which launched her career as the most famous and best loved of all mystery writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

Recently, there had been some strange goings on at Styles St Mary. Evelyn, constant companion to old Mrs. Inglethorp, had stormed out of the house muttering something about 'a lot of sharks'. And with her, something indefinable had gone from the atmosphere. Her presence had spelt security; now the air seemed rife with suspicion and impending evil.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102715, 1400109191

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,769,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible