Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion…

Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (1990)

by Judith Butler

English (10)  German (1)  All languages (11)
Clássico fundador da teoria queer que coloca o gênero como performance, está dividido em três capítulos maiores que por sua vez estão divididos em sessões:
Capítulo 1- Sujeitos do sexo/gênero objeto: onde consta um apanhado geral do gênero segundo a história e teoria feminista.
Capítulo 2- Proibição, psicanálise e produção da matriz sexual: onde consta o gênero a partir de conceitos psicanalíticos a partir de Sigmund Freud, Jacques Lacan e Joan Riviere.
Capítulo 3- Atos corporais subversivos: capítulo em que aborda o pensamento vigente subvertido pelas releituras de Julia Kristeva, Michel Foucault e Monique Wittig que são os princípais teóricos que Butler se apoia para a construção da teoria queer perfazendo seus passos com um texto crítico a cada um deles e encerrando com uma conclusão que os digere. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
An interesting take on what it means to be a feminist. ( )
  KendraFitz | Feb 27, 2017 |
The best argument for (relatively) contemporary Continental Philosophy and Feminism being senseless, masturbatory pap is this book.

The vast majority of it is dedicated to an exegesis of exegeses of Freudian and Lacanian theories of gender formation; perhaps, at most, a page or two's worth, total says something interesting about gender in an useful context.

An exemplar of academic insularity and the peacock's tail effect at their finest. ( )
  noonaut | Jan 19, 2017 |
My academic and professional background is in public policy/program evaluation, so I have some academic theory under my belt from social science courses, but it's in political science and sociology, not gender studies. As a result, there are some parts of Gender Trouble I struggled with as I have never read Foucault, Zizek, and other "pure" theorists. There are passages I had to reread to understand. I'm getting the big picture takeaways, though. I'll also note that in my version, which is a recent revised edition, Butler's own introduction notes critiques of the book that have helped me understand it -- mostly regarding the evolving views of gender that young third-wavers interested in intersectionality (which is where I count myself) might better connect with. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Mar 21, 2016 |
Still groundbreaking, nearly 25 years after its first publication. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |

Judith Butlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ābola, DitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the most part, feminist theory has assumed that there is some existing identity, understood through the category of women, who not only initiates feminist interests and goals within discourse, but constitutes the subject for whom political representation is pursued.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0415389550, Paperback)

In a new introduction to the 10th-anniversary edition of Gender Trouble--among the two or three most influential books (and by far the most popular) in the field of gender studies--Judith Butler explains the complicated critical response to her groundbreaking arguments and the ways her ideas have evolved as a result. Nevertheless, she has resisted the urge to revise what has become a feminist classic (as well as an elegant defense of drag, given Butler's emphasis on the performative nature of gender). The book was produced, according to Butler, "as part of the cultural life of a collective struggle that has had, and will continue to have, some success in increasing the possibilities for a livable life for those who live, or try to live, on the sexual margins." An attack on the essentialism of French feminist theory and its basis in structuralist anthropology, Gender Trouble expands to address the cultural prejudices at play in genetic studies of sex determination, as well as the uses of gender parody, and also provides a critical genealogy of the naturalization of sex. A primer in gender studies--and sexy reading for college cafés. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

Arguing that traditional feminism is wrong to look to a natural notion of the female, or indeed of sex or gender, this book questions the category 'woman' and examines 'the masculine' and 'the feminine'. It considers gender as a reiterated social 'performance' rather than the expression of a prior reality.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,563,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible