Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion…

Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Routledge… (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Judith Butler

Since its publication in 1990, Gender Troublehas become one of the key works of contemporary feminist theory, and an essential work for anyone interested in the study of gender, queer theory, or the politics of sexuality in culture.
Member:Halabi
Title:Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Routledge Classics)
Authors:Judith Butler
Info:Routledge (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Routledge Classics) by Judith Butler (1990)

English (14)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (17)
El género en disputa, obra fundadora de la llamada teoría queer y a la vez emblemática de los estudios de género Cómo se conocen hoy en día, es un volumen indispensable para comprender la teoría feminista actual: constituye una lúcida crítica la idea esencialista dejé las identidades de género son inmutables encuentran su arraigo en la naturaleza, en el cuerpo o en una heterosexualidad normativa y obligatoria. Libro interdisciplinario que se inscribe simultáneamente en la filosofía, la antropología, la teoría literaria y el psicoanálisis, este texto es deudor de un prolongado acercamiento del autor al feminismo teórico, a los debates sobre el carácter socialmente construido del género, al psicoanálisis, a los estudios Pioneros sobre el travestismo, y también a su activa participación en movimientos Defensores de la diversidad sexual. así, con un pie en la academia y otro en la militancia, apoyada de la lectura de autores como Jacques Lacan, Sigmund Freud, Simone de beauvoir, Claude Levi-Strauss, Luce Irigaray, Julia kristeva, Monique Wittiig, y Michael Foucault, Butler ofrece aquí una teoría original, polémica y desde luego subversiva, responsable ella misma de más de una disputa.
  ckepfer | Dec 27, 2020 |
It's hard to know exactly what to say about this, because I very much like some of the ideas here but feel like they're obscured by a lot of other ~~stuff~~ that I didn't find nearly as enlightening. At this point, I really need to admit that I have an enormous bias against psychoanalysis, which much of this book engages with, and that has definitely influenced how I feel about it. That said, I think that it's at the points where Butler stops discussing other theorists' work and starts positing her own ideas that this book really becomes useful and important.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
her dunk on Lacan is very chill
  theodoram | Apr 7, 2020 |
Okay so! Some critiques of this book are valid--Butler's engagement with people of color, for example, is extremely minimal, something she acknowledges in the preface to the edition I read. And sure, sometimes it took me a long time to get through certain parts of the text, primarily because I'm not as well-read in psychoanalysis as I might otherwise be when approaching Butler's arguments. But I really thought this was an intense and frankly valuable engagement in the question of gender and the problem it poses feminism. I think there are things to be hashed out, for sure, but the fact that I'm left chewing on her ideas about repetition and the possibilities for agency connected to stepping out of that repetition means frankly the book did what it was supposed to.

So I definitely recommend this if this question is something you're interested in thinking about, and if you are okay with engaging with Butler on this level. Otherwise I guess you can read Susan Stryker's introduction to the Transgender Studies Reader, because she does a pretty good job of summarizing the performativity argument in an accessible way. ( )
  aijmiller | Nov 26, 2019 |
Clássico fundador da teoria queer que coloca o gênero como performance, está dividido em três capítulos maiores que por sua vez estão divididos em sessões:
Capítulo 1- Sujeitos do sexo/gênero objeto: onde consta um apanhado geral do gênero segundo a história e teoria feminista.
Capítulo 2- Proibição, psicanálise e produção da matriz sexual: onde consta o gênero a partir de conceitos psicanalíticos a partir de Sigmund Freud, Jacques Lacan e Joan Riviere.
Capítulo 3- Atos corporais subversivos: capítulo em que aborda o pensamento vigente subvertido pelas releituras de Julia Kristeva, Michel Foucault e Monique Wittig que são os princípais teóricos que Butler se apoia para a construção da teoria queer perfazendo seus passos com um texto crítico a cada um deles e encerrando com uma conclusão que os digere. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |

Judith Butlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ābola, DitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quintas, NunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For the most part, feminist theory has assumed that there is some existing identity, understood through the category of women, who not only initiates feminist interests and goals within discourse, but constitutes the subject for whom political representation is pursued.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,464,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible